What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'd like to see the other questions that built up to that response, Yougov are often sneaky about it, to set up a newsworthy result. So like 'Do you think unemployed people should be rewarded for having as many children as they can, paid for out of your taxes?'. I've seen similar before. Instead of maybe 'Do you think taking children out of poverty should be an important fiscal priority?' 

I completed that survey and the questions were not far off how you describe. 

Private debt must be paid back to the shareholders of the private companies. Public debt is owed to "ourselves" as UK is a sovereign currency issuer.

Debt to GDP ratio was far higher in the post-war period, ie. the national finances were far worse than they are now, but every single year borrowing to invest was still happening. To build council houses, the NHS, and to nationalise industries. Including under Conservative governments as they too were bound by the economic demands of workers.

Now we have the opposite where both parties are bound by the economic demands of owners. We've Rachel Reeves writing love letters to Tory donors and Starmer embracing the label of fiscal conservative (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/keir-starmer-labour-government-spending-b2376121.html). 

Not taking Johnson's old seat of Uxbridge and South Ruislip shows that the Tories are definitely still in the game at the next election. 

Selby result is purely because Tories stayed at home. Ghey will return to Tories at next election.  Starmer is a vote loser. 

Happily it reminds Scots voters that the Tories are still there to stay in government and to stay with SNP.

43 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Not taking Johnson's old seat of Uxbridge and South Ruislip shows that the Tories are definitely still in the game at the next election. 

Tbf they fought the entire campaign on an issue which Westminster can't change, ULEZ. A policy introduced by Boris Johnson which just shows the Tories are happy and quiet successful being all things to all people particularly those who don't pay attention to what's going on.

51 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Selby result is purely because Tories stayed at home. Ghey will return to Tories at next election.  Starmer is a vote loser. 

Happily it reminds Scots voters that the Tories are still there to stay in government and to stay with SNP.

They didn't win Uxbridge purely because of Sadiq Khan's ULEZ expansion. 

Boris Johnson will be absolutely livid they held his seat without him. 

Just now, Michael W said:

They didn't win Uxbridge purely because of Sadiq Khan's ULEZ expansion. 

Boris Johnson will be absolutely livid they held his seat without him. 

Oh I get the ULEZ thing, but it's not as if it was a huge majority to overtake. I think Labour became complacent, thinking it was a shoe in. Still it's nice to see crestfallen faces on both Labour and Tory.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Tbf they fought the entire campaign on an issue which Westminster can't change, ULEZ. A policy introduced by Boris Johnson which just shows the Tories are happy and quiet successful being all things to all people particularly those who don't pay attention to what's going on

Tbf the SNP have been raking in the votes from Westminster elections all the way down to council wards on an issue that they have no control over.

Just now, SlipperyP said:

Tbf the SNP have been raking in the votes from Westminster elections all the way down to council wards on an issue that they have no control over.

Yes agree parties in Scotland have majority lost sight of local issue campaigns and the media don't help by boiling the whole lot down to:

Brit Nats Vs Scot Nats

It's far more complex than that or at least ought to be.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagar said:

Oh I get the ULEZ thing, but it's not as if it was a huge majority to overtake. I think Labour became complacent, thinking it was a shoe in. Still it's nice to see crestfallen faces on both Labour and Tory.

I wouldn't underestimate the vitriol towards the ULEZ and its expansion. There is no solace to be found in Uxbridge for the Tories. Their candidate (now MP) basically campaigned on local issues (opposition to the expansion of the ULEZ).

Unless something catastrophic happens they are on course to lose the home counties to the Lib Dems and the 'Red Wall' back to Labour. I'm pretty sure there are signs of tactical voting as well as the electorate are fed up of the Tories. If you average the three results it's in line with the overall polls where the Tories are 20 points down.

The Tories are toast. Expect them to pull every culture war lever they have, attack migrants, bribe the electorate with tax cuts and rail against green issues (like ULEZ). It's the only trick they have left.

Edited by Trogdor

2 hours ago, btb said:

In light of the Uxbridge result I foresee Labour maintaining their policy of matching every rightwing step the Tories make.

Didn't take Starmer long....

Starmer urges Khan to ‘reflect’ on Ulez rules after Uxbridge defeat

The crazy thing about ULEZ in London is that it was actually BJ who proposed introducing these rules back in the day..

30 minutes ago, btb said:

Didn't take Starmer long....

The crazy thing about ULEZ in London is that it was actually BJ who proposed introducing these rules back in the day..

‘Let’s not do positive things, let’s do things that get us elected’.

’Whats the point in getting elected if we can’t do positive things?’

’Uhm…’

25 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I thought I'd seen the new Labour MP somewhere.

A Blackadder star has been quietly working at Cardiff Castle for years -  Wales Online

I will no doubt get pulled up for age discrimination but I reckon potential MPs should wait until their balls have dropped before standing for election.

Just saw him on Channel 4 News.  My first thought was Adrian Mole. The victory speech began by his saying that he understands "the enormity of what has just happened".  Doesn't appear to understand the meaning of the word "enormity" . . . or maybe he does.