What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

13 hours ago, Donathan said:

I think there’s a very solid argument that a Scottish Labour MP who has a direct line into the cabinet can be more influential than an SNP MP when there’s a whomping majority government.

There’s probably around 70% of the Scottish electorate that would never want to vote Conservative and that’s why their popular voting numbers have topped out in the mid to high 20’s under the relative popularity of Ruth Davidson and Douglas Ross compared to former leaders like Annabel Goldie, Jackson Carlaw and David McLetchie.

But for Labour, their brand is far less toxic and I think an awful lot of voters would be willing to back them in the right circumstances. These could be those circumstances. 

Labour are looking at imposing mayors on Scotland as a means of bypassing Holyrood, they'd also benefit from having a beefed up Scottish contingent at WM led by the Scotland office to continue the Tory practices of meddling in devolved areas and chucking their s35 weight around.

If you like the Scottish parliament, if you like devolution - you can't vote Labour.

13 hours ago, Donathan said:

These short sharp slogans can be effective. Not many voters have the time or the will to sit and read the manifestos so having a quick reminder of what the party is actually standing for can be effective.

”Get Brexit done” worked for Boris Johnson in 2019 because it appealed to both sides. Brexiteers wanted it done finally and properly. Remainers were just fed up of Brexit and wanted it out the way. 

“Make America great again” worked for Trump similarly.

I agree though that this one is meaningless. I preferred Starmer’s previous one of “The best country in the world to grow up in, and the best country in the world to grow old in”. Not exactly as snappy as the 3 or 4 word efforts but straight and to the point nonetheless. 

That’s not sharp or memorable either.

It is relatively short though.  

It’s actually quite impressive that they’ve managed to condense meaningless waffle into quite so few words. I don’t think I’ve ever lost interest before the end of a slogan.

It’s like some kind of Jedi mind trick so that nobody notices Labour’s even there.

11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

That’s not sharp or memorable either.

It is relatively short though.  

It’s actually quite impressive that they’ve managed to condense meaningless waffle into quite so few words. I don’t think I’ve ever lost interest before the end of a slogan.

It’s like some kind of Jedi mind trick so that nobody notices Labour’s even there.

It's the Starmer way. Avoid doing anything, saying anything or believing in anything. 

Starmer's USP has always been the fact he's not the other guy. No need for anything else.

19 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

1) Yogi

2) we don't have mayors in Scotland. We have provosts. And ours is a Lord Provost to boot. 

Only in the central belt... Highlands, Orkney, Shetland, Western Isles, Dumfries & Galloway, Borders etc. have Convenors.

EDIT: as do Clackmannanshire research reveals.

Meanwhile in Moray some unspeakable horror has been inflicted with the office rebranded 'the Civic Leader' :unsure:...

Edited by HibeeJibee

22 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Only in the central belt... Highlands, Orkney, Shetland, Western Isles, Dumfries & Galloway, Borders etc. have Convenors.

EDIT: as do Clackmannanshire research reveals.

Meanwhile in Moray some unspeakable horror has been inflicted with the office rebranded 'the Civic Leader' :unsure:...

Orkney, Shetland etc should go back to using Jarl.

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

1) Yogi

2) we don't have mayors in Scotland. We have provosts. And ours is a Lord Provost to boot. 

I think the local government act/s specify that the four main cities Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee have Lord Provosts.

Also, local government is devolved, so Starmer at Westminster can GTF.

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I think the local government act/s specify that the four main cities Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee have Lord Provosts.

Also, local government is devolved, so Starmer at Westminster can GTF.

Local government is not really government it’s basically local administration.  The overwhelming bulk of budgets are used to provide statutory services in a range of areas (education, social work, etc.).  Of course local authorities are being asked to provide more of said services with fewer and fewer resources.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Local government is not really government it’s basically local administration.  The overwhelming bulk of budgets are used to provide statutory services in a range of areas (education, social work, etc.).  Of course local authorities are being asked to provide more of said services with fewer and fewer resources.

Councils are riddled with old boys, (retired teachers etc), only interested in augmenting their pensions with council salaries.