What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

2 hours ago, Pocketman said:

Screenshot2024-08-23at16_41_21.thumb.png.ba9176ba36c6e81c57e4b57aa7609024.png

the only conclusion from this can be is that George qualifies for the allowance.....

He might find his house smells better when he doesn’t have the radiators on to dry his trousers with. Swings and roundabouts 

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Has anyone seen Anas Sarwar recently ?

well if we're continuing The Simpsons references he's been locked in the basement and will get a nice mountain bike when Keef remembers he put him in there

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Has anyone seen Anas Sarwar recently ?

I was at the Edinburgh Tattoo a couple of weeks ago, and he was the guest of honour taking the salute at the beginning. Apart from that, no.

On 23/08/2024 at 16:47, Pocketman said:

Screenshot2024-08-23at16_41_21.thumb.png.ba9176ba36c6e81c57e4b57aa7609024.png

the only conclusion from this can be is that George qualifies for the allowance.....

My old man is hopping mad about Labour means-testing the Winter Fuel Allowance, and is determined that they'll be put out on their arse at the next election because they're only giving it to people poor enough to quality for certain benefits. He's "paid for it all his life" (it was introduced a few years before he retired) and won't get the extra £300 per year because he's very comfortable financially, and likely wouldn't even have noticed whether or not it had been paid if the right-wing news he consumes hadn't told him to be outraged about it.

Apparently the evil communist Starmer is coming for his pension next, which he has also paid for all his life. I mentioned that he'd only been paying for previous generation's pensions for all that time, but it wasn't a popular observation  :P

On 22/08/2024 at 15:01, Sheas_cake said:

In all seriousness, surely absolutely no one on here was ever buying Jedi's nonsense 😂

Anyone seriously buying that Labour would bring in any significant socially positive policies should probably avoid phone calls from Nigerian Princes tbh. They are essentially David Cameron's 2011 Tories. 

David Cameron commenced the Equality Act 2010. He legislated for gay marriage. He increased spending on foreign aid to 0.7% of GDP, putting that in legislation and not tying it to dodgy self-serving projects in more developed countries as it is now. He massively increased investment in renewable energy and kick-started all sorts of green initiatives. He allowed a Scottish independence referendum when it probably cost him votes in England. He hugely increased the minimum wage.

Labour have absolutely no promises on greenhouse gas emissions. Wes Streeting's ban on puberty blockers for adolescents - which was put through parliament in recess so it couldn't be scrutinised or stopped - was a knee-jerk reaction that the BMA heavily criticised and shows their disinterest in equalities. All Labour are doing on the minimum wage is bringing under 21s up to the full level. The new FCDO spending projections include more cuts to foreign aid, from 0.58% of GDP down to 0.5%. They've absolutely ruled out an independence referendum or giving that power to the Scottish Parliament, and they're breaking the devolution settlement and the Barnett formula by spending in Scotland over the head of the Scottish Government. They cut the Scottish block grant mid-year, the first time that's happened since devolution began.

It's not hyperbole to compare Cameron's government to the current Labour government and ask whether they're even coming up to his level.

I’m shocked that Labour is going to do all the things that objective observers claimed they would do prior to the election.

They definitely have options other than austerity but there’s no indication that they will go for these options.

The vetting process has ensured that the new Labour MPs are a bunch of Starmer loyalists, nonetheless I wonder if we’ll see unrest formenting on the backbenches

Edited by Granny Danger

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m shocked that Labour is going to do all the things that objective observers claimed they would do prior to the election.

They definitely have options other than austerity but there’s no indication that they will go for these options.

The vetting process has ensured that the new Labour MPs are a bunch of Starmer loyalists, nonetheless I wonder if we’ll see unrest formenting on the backbenches

No chance of unrest in Labour bar the odd one who finds a principle. 

Sir Keef making a speech on Tuesday telling us it's going to get worse and a big boy did it and ran away etc etc....im sure there was something about everything being costed blah blah blah 

2 hours ago, HTG said:

No chance of unrest in Labour bar the odd one who finds a principle. 

Aye, Sir Keef's still in the honeymoon phase and there'll be nae danger of backbench conspiracies until he looks a bit wobbly on the throne and no-mark losers start fantasising about spending more time on Downing Street. Nobody's going to be upset about the term of masterly inactivity that he promised.

5 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Sir Keef making a speech on Tuesday telling us it's going to get worse and a big boy did it and ran away etc etc....im sure there was something about everything being costed blah blah blah 

Usually when they leak a speech that early it's to lower expectations, I bet he comes up with some cheery news, or at least not as bad as signalled.

5 hours ago, doulikefish said:

A big boy followed by a big girl followed by a bigger boy followed by a not so big girl followed by a not so big boy.

22 minutes ago, Cheese said:

20240826_094759.thumb.jpg.44cfe415f64dcd291a24fbd04c6e5b74.jpg

Could also be called the Jeremy Corbyn Lock.

As I have said before, I think Corbyn and Truss played similar roles in their parties. 

Ideologically where most of the members would like to be but totally repellent to people from the other side of the political spectrum.

9 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Could also be called the Jeremy Corbyn Lock.

As I have said before, I think Corbyn and Truss played similar roles in their parties. 

Ideologically where most of the members would like to be but totally repellent to people from the other side of the political spectrum.

It's called the Liz Truss lock because it locks out anyone to the left of Liz Truss becoming leader.