England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Netherlands 🇳🇱

throbber

3 hours ago, Caro-Kann said:

Oh f*k, I'm going to be in London Sat-Mon.

So am I as I'm visiting family. I'm looking forward to it to be honest. Don't know where we are watching the game yet. Just hope it is better weather than up here and it's a good game. Also hope the English fans behave over in Germany and at home.

2 hours ago, 9queens said:

Nothing McCoist said was contentious. England were the better team. The dude was just doing his job - albeit with his usual "to be honest/fair/frank" crap every 2 minutes. 

Anyone genuinely upset about England winning needs to get that bag of chips of their shoulder and calm down. 

Having said all that Spain have been by far the best team and deserve to lift the trophy🇪🇸

There might even be a bank holiday if they win too, which would be nice

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's not possible being a football fan.

It is possible. England winning doesn't annoy me in the slightest.

I'd prefer Spain win the tournament because they've been consistently the best team but if England win it'll make no great odds to me one way or the other (plus it'll upset Rodri which is no bad thing).

2 hours ago, 9queens said:

Nothing McCoist said was contentious. England were the better team. The dude was just doing his job - albeit with his usual "to be honest/fair/frank" crap every 2 minutes. 

Anyone genuinely upset about England winning needs to get that bag of chips of their shoulder and calm down. 

Having said all that Spain have been by far the best team and deserve to lift the trophy🇪🇸

This. 100% this. I heard McCoist last night and he was pretty much spot on with everything he said. I actually thought it surprising ITV had wheeled him in instead of a halfwit like Martin Keown (or is he BBC?) or some other English cheerleader. Wondered if it was a deliberate attempt to placate some of the bias accusations.

In fact the studio, which also included Roy Keane (not English) were largely fair also with everybody agreeing it wasn't a penalty except Ian Wright who is only narrowly short of 'Big Meeks' in the gibbering simpleton stakes. ITV's coverage last night was the best it's been in the tournament to be honest.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

England were marginally the better side last night but I can't buy this narrative that there was a clear gulf between them. They were dominant in the first half but the only clear chance they created was that Foden one cleared off the line. Second half it was back to their usual turgid selves and that Watkins goal was the only shot they managed. Netherlands were pretty ineffectual but they did have the better off the second half once Weghorst came on. Take out that ludicrous penalty and the shot count and xG are almost identical.

Edited by lanky_ffc

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I heard McCoist last night and he was pretty much spot on with everything he said. I actually thought it surprising ITV had wheeled him in instead of a halfwit like Martin Keown (or is he BBC?) or some other English cheerleader.

He is an English cheerleader

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I envy such types.

They're just getting on with their lives today. 

It only matters to me because I choose to make it.  The secret is to make no emotional investment, but that ship set sail decades ago.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's not possible being a football fan.

59 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It is possible. England winning doesn't annoy me in the slightest.

I was replying to M T's "emotional investment" bit. If you've no emotional investment in your team, or the team you want to win in a match your team is not involved in, fair enough.

Sometimes I don't care who wins, so the result doesn't annoy me in the slightest, either.

1 hour ago, sparky88 said:

There might even be a bank holiday if they win too, which would be nice

I'm self employed, thats no good to me.............

6 hours ago, 9queens said:

I find McCoist unlistenable to. 

Listen..believe you me.. I tell you... i dontvreally mind the rest of what he says but his constant patter pish is horrific.. just shut the f**k up. 

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Only four people I'm the entire world thought it was anything remotely like a penalty. The VAR, the VAR assistant, or whatever they're called, the referee and Isn Wright.

The 'independent VAR analyst' presumably argued it was a penalty, as that gobshite has tried to justify literally every fraudulent decision made in the tournament. 

3 hours ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

I find McCoist unlistenable to. 

Listen..believe you me.. I tell you... i dontvreally mind the rest of what he says but his constant patter pish is horrific.. just shut the f**k up. 

I think that's more my problem with McCoist, he's more and more playing up to the professional Glaswegian. The English audiences lap it up so he's not daft. But it's shite to listen to as a bitter chip on my shoulder Aberdonian.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The 'independent VAR analyst' presumably argued it was a penalty, as that gobshite has tried to justify literally every fraudulent decision made in the tournament. 

She said no penalty tbf. 

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I envy such types.

They're just getting on with their lives today. 

It only matters to me because I choose to make it.  The secret is to make no emotional investment, but that ship set sail decades ago.

Aye, my Mrs cannot understand in the slightest why I get so depressed when England win. The prospect of them winning the Euros or the World Cup is unthinkable to be honest!

Recently, I am beginning to realise that some of my ‘hatred’ of the English football team stems from the lack of success from Scotland. For example, if we’d perhaps won a World Cup back in the 1930s and maybe a Euros in the 1970s, would it mean so much for England to fail!? Don’t get me wrong, I’d still not want them to win anything, but I think I’d be far more relaxed about the idea.

It’s actually a disgrace that, in my lifetime, the vast majority of my most celebrated sporting moments have been watching England lose. 

I’m 42 years old, and our national team has given me, barring a few results, nothing to celebrate in terms of achieving any sort of success, during that time. I very much envy my equivalent Croatian, Uruguayan, Danish, Irish, etc, etc national team football supporter. Just think how many memorable moments they have given their supporters since 1982.

Just the other night, Uruguay knocked Brazil out of the Copa America at the quarter final stage. Can you imagine how good it would feel if we beat the likes of England or Germany at that stage of a Euros or World Cup!!?? We wouldn’t even dream that such a thing was possible!!

I genuinely think that this inferiority complex is manifested from the fact that we do not govern our own nation, and this lack of self-belief runs through the veins of our country, and our football team is representation of this.

I wonder if Uruguayans care too much about Argentinas recent successes, or are they at peace with it due to their own track record (2 x World Cups and a record number of Copa America victories). Either way, i’m fairly certain that they do not have to endure Argentinian TV, media, radio etc.

Kind of lost my way a bit here!! Haha!!……I suppose what I’m trying to say is that part (not all) of my sheer desperation for England to fail is fostered by the lack of our own success. We should be aiming for much more, but our mentality (as a nation) sadly seems to be to accept mediocrity and second best.

Edited by dstuart82

Mine is fostered by the knowledge that every single English game I watch from Sunday, would have a discussion before about the Euro winning team, be mentioned constantly in commentary, close-ups of Euro winning players etc. You won’t be able to watch it without constant mention for a long time.

You saw how it was with the Lionesses when they won, and they didn’t give a f**k about them till they won something. 

16 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

She said no penalty tbf. 

At the time she was asked she said there wasn't enough to review, because there had yet to be an indication of a review and the question that was posed to her was whether or not there should be.

I don't remember her making any further comment once it became clear there was to be a review.

I don't remember her offering any insight to date other than to justify why VAR had / had not intervened, and certainly can't remember her being even the slightest bit critical of anything.

Edited by Todd_is_God