El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

6 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Listen I love knocking Harry Kane as much as the next man but he was actually the joint top scorer in this tournament and England wouldn't have been near any finals without his goals.

The reason England lost is, for the most part, they are technically deficient against other top nations.  Until England players can actually pass a ball they are winning f**k all.  Declan Rice gave the ball away so many times tonight and Bellingham didn't show up for his second final in a month.

True, but they would still manage to stick 4 past pish like Malta or Bulgaria without him. Give Toney or Watkins the chance to pad their stats a bit as well. 

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It seems to have been missed by the ITV watchers but picked it up on ITV+1.

Ally McCoist notes that there's 4 minutes being added on. Lee Dixon states, 'Doesn't matter if there's 4 minutes, it's over!'

And then he doesn't say a word until the 93rd and a half minute which is moaning about the goal saying, 'It's just a knee!'

Glorious tears.

Haha - Dixon did exactly the same after the Italy penalties. But I think he went quieter for longer.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Thought you said England were going to win?

Don't know about him, but I definitely did.

It actually makes this outcome even more glorious, in that I wasn't anticipating it.

10 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I was in a pub full of posh Dulwich boys trying to do ‘Geezer’ accents and act hard. It was absolutely superb.

Once I was in a pub off South Clerk Street in Edinburgh for a quiz. England were playing a fairly unimportant qualifier away to, I think, Slovakia or someone. The game was being shown on the screens, but with the volume muted. The only people paying much attention to it were 3 England fans sitting round one tiny pub table, two with normal SE England accents and one who was with them but speaking in an extreme accent/dialect from rural Yorkshire or somewhere.

At one point England had a goal ruled out for offside. The 3 England fans were shouting about the fact that there was a defender on the line. I said to them, in a totally friendly way, that the goalkeeper had been in front of the ball, so it was actually offside. They really didn't like this, and the three of them turned on me with crap about "did your girlfriend tell you that" and shit like that.

As I say, the Yorkshire guy was speaking with an extreme accent. A few years later I moved to Yorkshire, and in all the time there I never heard anyone speaking like that - if they were speaking like that, in my job I would have heard it. What I should have said to him was: "I don't know why you're speaking like that - these two c***s despise you every bit as much as they despise us."

I don't live in Edinburgh now but a few years later I was in the pub next to the Kings theatre. Hibs were playing Hearts, there were 2 screens in the small bar. Hibees watching one screen, Jambos the other, everyone getting on ok. During the second half a 60 something bloke comes in in an Arsenal shirt, he looks like he has a white collar job. He speaks to the barman who tells him no, they're not going to put the Arsenal match on. He looks very pissed off.

So yes, glad they lost tonight.

18 minutes ago, SomersetBairn said:

Tis the only pub I've been glassed in....

To be fair, it's not a bad place for a pint, going by Yeovile standards. Most of the decent boozers are flats or shops now. 

Bus? Yeovil isn't exactly a hub for the bus network.

Bus to Crewkerne.     Sorry to hear you were assaulted.     Good pubs in Crewkerne gone now too. Same everywhere.    Left Somerset and UK after brexit.

Edited by cyderspaceman
typo

They just said on ITV news, "two big stories tonight" - like  a football match is equivalent to something that was very close to the RFK assassination (and I despise Trump). Fucking arseholes.

Keane in summing it up. 

"Eventually, they've been found out" 

:) 

That's petty much it. 

In my lifetime, I really want England 1966 to become a historical curio, like the Soviet Union winning a European Championship, or Uruguay winning a World Cup. For it simply to be an anomaly which is no longer conceived of being repeated.