El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

Just now, Judy Murray said:

Maradona destroyed these c***s so utterly and comprehensively in 1886 they have never recovered. 

f**k me, it really has been a while for them eh.

Maradona destroyed these c***s so utterly and comprehensively in 1886 they have never recovered. 

…and two years later Brother Walfrid tried to sign him.

Out of greenies but yes, absolutely this. 

Oddly, that thug Fenwick hacking and kicking at him for 90 minutes (well, whenever he managed to get within range) doesn't seem to count as cheating.

22 minutes ago, milhouse said:

In my lifetime, I really want England 1966 to become a historical curio, like the Soviet Union winning a European Championship, or Uruguay winning a World Cup. For it simply to be an anomaly which is no longer conceived of being repeated.

They've won it twice.

3 minutes ago, rollstar said:

If we'd bothered to fucking enter it, it would not have been the most unlikely thing in the world that Scotland would have got to a World Cup final in 1930 or 1934, given we'd won 5-1 at Wembley only a few years earlier. We could have fluked a win in one of those finals, and been up there with the even smaller Uruguay. If England don't win in 2026, !966 is going to become no more significant to the people of the future than any pre-WW2 wins are. As it is, 1966 is on a par, or arguably slightly below, Celtic's EC win in 1967. It was very, very nice at the time, but we don't see it happening again for a while.

More annoyingly we did qualify for the 1950 World Cup but withdrew because we only came 2nd in the Home Nations qualifying tournament.

6 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

IMG_9771.jpeg

I'm going to ask again, why did this happen? Does it happen at every Euros or was there just some fucking hilarious random decision that led to it this time?

My sincere take is that it was England's worst tournament under Southgate. Good for about 20-30 minutes against Serbia, 45 v Netherlands and OK first halves against Spain and Switzerland. They've been second-best for the rest of it (though I admittedly didn't watch the Slovenia game). 

I thought that the FA made the right decision in keeping Southgate on after the World Cup (and yes, they were right in our eyes etc etc), as that quarter-final against France was the first time they actually played well against a good side in a tournament and guys like Saka and Bellingham were becoming mainstays. However, in hindsight that should've been the end, and this tournament will go down as a massive missed opportunity with some of the very best talents in the world being reduced to not even a full game's worth of good football. 

In contrast, it's hard to not love this Spain team - despite how Euro 2024 started. Two wonderful wingers, probably the best player in the world, a daft old b*****d at the back and Olmo and Ruiz who'll be placed in a future Football Cliches Pure Euros XI. Also a manager who was plucked from the youth teams to facilitating the best football we've seen at a tournament in a while - especially from a winning team. Despite how shite the tournament's been, I'm sure we'll remember this side, and there's still nothing quite like international football.

2 minutes ago, rollstar said:

I'm going to ask again, why did this happen? Does it happen at every Euros or was there just some fucking hilarious random decision that led to it this time?

Think they have the previous winning captains come out with the trophy. 

That’s as good as it’s going to get for England. I can see them entering their banter years. Players refusing to play for the team, fan revolts and Wayne Rooney managing them at some point. 

Edited by MazzyStar

44 minutes ago, HopeStreetCadette said:

This is sensational

Even better if you remember that they’ll still all be drenched in Carling from the equaliser 10 minutes prior.

Sad and soaked in piss water.