Cup Above: EOS Adventures in the Scottish Cup 2024-25

image.png.cd0cf0c62952b3324f18dba384c245cb.png

Strong entry... 25 representatives - 44% of membership - enter the fray.

Draws on Monday evening.

Extra Preliminary (6)     2 ties & 2 random byes
East of Scotland
     First Division (1)     Bo'ness Athletic          qualified as winner of South, East & West of Scotland Cup-Winners' Shield
West of Scotland
     Premier Division (1)     Beith          qualified as champions
North Caledonian (1)     Invergordon          qualified as champions
Midland Juniors (1)     Dundee North End          qualified as champions
North Juniors
     Premier (1)     Culter          qualified as champions
Amateurs (1)     Cupar Hearts          qualified as winner of Scottish Amateur Cup

Preliminary (52)     26 ties
East of Scotland (24)
     Premier Division (13)     Dunbar, Dundonald, Dunipace, Edinburgh Uni, Haddington, Hill of Beath, Hutchison Vale, Jeanfield, Musselburgh, Penicuik, St Andrews, Sauchie, Tynecastle
     First Division (5)     Blackburn, Camelon, Newtongrange, Preston, Whitehill
     Second Division (5)     Burntisland, Coldstream, Dalkeith, Easthouses, Vale of Leithen
     Third Division (1)     Hawick
West of Scotland (15)
     Premier Division (7)     Auchinleck, Benburb, Clydebank, Cumnock, Darvel, Glenafton, Pollok
     First Division (3)     Irvine Meadow, Kilwinning, Rutherglen
     Second Division (1)     Bonnyton
     Third Division (3)     Girvan, Glasgow Uni, Threave
     Fourth Division (1)     Carluke
South of Scotland (5)     Creetown, Dalbeattie, Newton Stewart, St Cuthbert, Wigtown & Bladnoch
North Caledonian (2)     Fort William, Golspie
Midland Juniors (2)     Lochee Utd, Tayport
+2 winners & 2 byes from Extra Preliminary

Edited by HibeeJibee

• HibeeJibee changed the title to Cup Above: EOS Adventures in the Scottish Cup 2024-25

Some cracking ties in there Bo'ness v Beith 1st preliminary round certainly up there. 

Pollok v Darvel probs tie of 2nd preliminary round but keeping on topic Penicuik v Musselburgh and Haddington v Auchinleck are both crackers. 

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Some cracking ties in there Bo'ness v Beith 1st preliminary round certainly up there. 

Pollok v Darvel probs tie of 2nd preliminary round but keeping on topic Penicuik v Musselburgh and Haddington v Auchinleck are both crackers. 

I imagine you know your way to the Islecroft and the whereabouts of the watering holes in town. 😄

Beith have lost a number of their double-title winning squad to the new-money clubs in the West. Will be a test for how far the new Bo'ness have come. Beith are a very professional outfit on the park.

5 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

I imagine you know your way to the Islecroft and the whereabouts of the watering holes in town. 😄

Aye always was a good day out, not the best of ties,would've preferred a home tie for a change just for a bit extra revenue. 

It's been a while was it King's pub not far from ground? Obviously a few refreshments behind the stand optionable as well. 

18 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Aye always was a good day out, not the best of ties,would've preferred a home tie for a change just for a bit extra revenue. 

It's been a while was it King's pub not far from ground? Obviously a few refreshments behind the stand optionable as well. 

Aye you're becoming regular visitors doon here. Wigtownshire last year, Stewartry this. You can get a plum home tie in Round 1.

King's Arms Hotel in town just up from the road down to the ground. Also the Birchtree and Maxwell Arms on the A711 just after the turn onto the High Street.

I think the Broxburn Ultras drank the Islecroft bar dry at their visit. 🤣🤣

On 18/07/2024 at 21:09, HibeeJibee said:

image.png.cd0cf0c62952b3324f18dba384c245cb.png

Strong entry... 25 representatives - 44% of membership - enter the fray.

Draws on Monday evening.

Extra Preliminary (6)     2 ties & 2 random byes
East of Scotland
     First Division (1)     Bo'ness Athletic          qualified as winner of South, East & West of Scotland Cup-Winners' Shield
West of Scotland
     Premier Division (1)     Beith          qualified as champions
North Caledonian (1)     Invergordon          qualified as champions
Midland Juniors (1)     Dundee North End          qualified as champions
North Juniors
     Premier (1)     Culter          qualified as champions
Amateurs (1)     Cupar Hearts          qualified as winner of Scottish Amateur Cup

Preliminary (52)     26 ties
East of Scotland (24)
     Premier Division (13)     Dunbar, Dundonald, Dunipace, Edinburgh Uni, Haddington, Hill of Beath, Hutchison Vale, Jeanfield, Musselburgh, Penicuik, St Andrews, Sauchie, Tynecastle
     First Division (5)     Blackburn, Camelon, Newtongrange, Preston, Whitehill
     Second Division (5)     Burntisland, Coldstream, Dalkeith, Easthouses, Vale of Leithen
     Third Division (1)     Hawick
West of Scotland (15)
     Premier Division (7)     Auchinleck, Benburb, Clydebank, Cumnock, Darvel, Glenafton, Pollok
     First Division (3)     Irvine Meadow, Kilwinning, Rutherglen
     Second Division (1)     Bonnyton
     Third Division (3)     Girvan, Glasgow Uni, Threave
     Fourth Division (1)     Carluke
South of Scotland (5)     Creetown, Dalbeattie, Newton Stewart, St Cuthbert, Wigtown & Bladnoch
North Caledonian (2)     Fort William, Golspie
Midland Juniors (2)     Lochee Utd, Tayport
+2 winners & 2 byes from Extra Preliminary

How do teams get to enter the Scottish Cup?

I see Burntisland entering every year, while Kirkcaldy and Glenrothes are nowhere to be seen. I’m assuming they don’t meet some sort of SFA rules?

10 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I see Burntisland entering every year, while Kirkcaldy and Glenrothes are nowhere to be seen. I’m assuming they don’t meet some sort of SFA rules?

Burntisland qualify because they are full SFA members, and have been for decades. The other two are not, so would have to qualify by another route.

The SFA licensing seems to be really tightening up and a lot more being ask of current licensed clubs that I could see Fort William and even some others you may not expect struggling to tick all the boxes and losing their license. Although checking likes of Burntisland website it looks perfect with everything in place so must have some very, very hardworking committee to get it all done and keep their license.

Edited by Shannon

49 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

All clubs with an SFA license qualify. Burntisland is one of those. 

Then there are qualifying spots for any unlicensed winners of a tier 6 league. This season these are: Beith Juniors (West of Scotland League), Dundee North End (Midlands League), Culter (NRJFA Premier) and Invergordon (North Caledonian League). Broxburn Athletic (East of Scotland League) and Dalbeattie Star (South of Scotland League) are already in as licensed clubs, these spots don't get passed on. 

Finally, there are 3 cup winners that qualify if they are unlicensed: the east/west/south Cup Winners' shield* (Bo'ness Athletic), Scottish Junior Cup (Darvel were already licensed so no entry this season) and Scottish Amateur Cup (Cupar Hearts). 

*Although only unlicensed clubs can take part, a club could in theory get licensed during the season and still win this, again the spot won't be passed on.

Edited by Marten

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

How do you get an SFA licence? I’m assuming you need to apply and meet some requirements, such as having floodlights?

Floodlights are one of the criteria. There was a scramble during the Covid shutdown for clubs to get them installed as clubs already playing in the Scottish Cup would be kicked out unless this happened- Around my area Whitehill, Musselburgh, Coldstream, Burntisland, Strollers, Preston Athletic, Vale of Leithen, St Andrews and others all got them put in. 

As it's nearly 30 years since Edinburgh City got in I can't remember exactly what we had to do- there was a ground inspection and you would have to have an enclosed ground (no roped off pitches thank you).

I think the criteria can be found hidden away in the SFA website though. 

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

How do you get an SFA licence? I’m assuming you need to apply and meet some requirements, such as having floodlights?

There are quite a lot of requirements. The most visible ones to visitors are floodlights, cover, adequate toilets, disabled facilities etc. However, only a minority of requirements are ground related. Other requirements include organisational ones, training of staff/committee members and so on. When we went through the process, I spoke to people involved who told me how much work it is. It was quite an effort to get it done and we are still blessed with a relatively high number of volunteers/committee members. I take my hat off to the properly small clubs that manage this.

Edited by Marten

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Floodlights are one of the criteria. There was a scramble during the Covid shutdown for clubs to get them installed as clubs already playing in the Scottish Cup would be kicked out unless this happened- Around my area Whitehill, Musselburgh, Coldstream, Burntisland, Strollers, Preston Athletic, Vale of Leithen, St Andrews and others all got them put in. 

As it's nearly 30 years since Edinburgh City got in I can't remember exactly what we had to do- there was a ground inspection and you would have to have an enclosed ground (no roped off pitches thank you).

I think the criteria can be found hidden away in the SFA website though. 

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/11172/sfa-club-licensing-manual-2024.pdf

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

All full member clubs of the SFA qualify for the Cup, whether licensed or not.

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

Death, taxes and Musselburgh in a cup draw :barf

🤣🤣 - maybe you might win on the 3rd attempt - sorry! 

Soon as I saw it, I laughed, then thought - not again. Shit draw, as is all draw(s) that put teams in same division against each other.

Fascinating to see how Bo'ness Athletic fare at home to WOSL champions Beith, in a match which has been brought forward to Friday evening (albeit not for live TV coverage - sadly BBC don't start showing 1 tie per round until R1).

Camelon, Dundonald, Dunipace, Blackburn and Newtongrange will all be seen as favourites in their all-EOSL ties while Penicuik v Musselburgh looks intriguing.

Dunbar, Jeanfield, Hill of Beath, Tynecastle, Whitehill and Hutchison Vale will be regarded favourites in their contests while Hawick, Vale of Leithen, Haddington and St Andrews will need to pull off surprises in theirs.

Sauchie can afford no complacency at Culter while Preston v Irvine Meadow could be very interesting.