πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡«πŸ‡·Games of the XXXIII Olympiad - Paris 2024 πŸ₯‡πŸ₯ˆπŸ₯‰

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Light show on the tower was pretty smart. Sounded a bit Jarre-esque the music too.Β 

Still not a patch on Athens, Beijing or London mind you.Β 

It wasn't even better than Tokyo. The last bit in front of the Eiffel Tower was great though.

On 25/07/2024 at 11:21, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I'm watching a bit of the handball this morning. It's definitely one of those sports that I enjoy when I see it at the Olympics and then completely forget it exists for the next 4 years

Agreed- enjoyed the Spain v Slovenia match this morning.

Bit of a shame handball is pretty much non existent here as it’s good to watch.

3 hours ago, doulikefish said:

All the nutters going crazy on social media thinking they have mocked the last supper....well played FranceΒ 

I'm all for mocking religion - the sooner the sky fairy tales are consigned to the dark ages the better for everyone IMO.

1 hour ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

America's female diving team is Cook and Bacon. Well it made me laugh

Screenshot_20240727_104511_BBC iPlayer.jpg

Caught the last 2 rounds, the British pair nicked a bronze after one of the Aussie girls fell off the board on their last dive. Britain's first medal on opening day since Jason Queally in Sydney 2000, and first female diving medal since 1960.

Edited by peasy23

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/jul/26/celine-dion-salvages-parade-held-thrillingly-hostage-to-its-own-hubris

"Avant: le deluge. There was a moment, about an hour into Paris 2024’s Grand Opening Spectacular, as the rain soaked through shoes, trousers, socks and eventually skin, hair and bone; as yet more boats of waving people chugged down the Seine, like watching an endless series of weirdly nationalistic office parties; as some men did some dancing in a place, for reasons that frankly seemed quite remote at that point, where a thought occurred.

Maybe this wasn’t just the worst Olympic opening ceremony ever. Maybe this wasn’t the worst outdoor event ever. Maybe this was the worst thing ever.

Fast forward to 11.25pm local time and Paris 2024 basically brought on Messi. There may have been better moments in the meandering history of opening ceremony entertainment than CΓ©line Dion halfway up the Eiffel Tower, just below the Olympic rings, lights cascading, 56 years old but an absolute sonic force, belting out a jaw-dropping rendition of Γ‰dith Piaf’s Hymne Γ  l’amour."