πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡«πŸ‡·Games of the XXXIII Olympiad - Paris 2024 πŸ₯‡πŸ₯ˆπŸ₯‰

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yeah, I don’t thinking watching two television channels at once is a normal thing to do m8. It wasn’t in 1907 and it won’t be in 2649.

In 2649 there will just be BBC1 and STV/Grampian.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

And it's total carnage on the cycling leg.Β 

Yep, plenty of road rash after that, will be bone dry by the time the men race later on.

A home win for Cassandre Beaugrand with bronze for Beth Potter.

The swim looked ridiculously hard, when they turned at the far end to come back into the current they looked like they were treading water.

Just watching the BMX Freestyle stuff. These 2 idiots commentating are verging on incoherent. So far we’ve had β€œthe conscious brain switches off” and a β€œnobody wins if someone doesn’t complete”. f**k off.Β 

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

What a finish from Yee. Seemed to find that finish from nowhere

It certainly caught the commentators by surprise. They were focusing on him keeping hold of silver and from what I heard had written off his chances for gold.Β 

10 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It certainly caught the commentators by surprise. They were focusing on him keeping hold of silver and from what I heard had written off his chances for gold.Β 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/live/cd19g1n0771t?post=asset%3A840c1651-98ee-406e-8e08-2bd83a5ff01a#post

The BBC online commentary isn't better. Seriously.

Β 

59 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Β 

48 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The issue was with the TV director not showing it.Β 

I've never agreed with the idea of a "medal table" for these games. It is individuals and teams in disparate competitions. Some nations are tremendous at some events (eg South Korea winning the women's archery for 10 games in a row) and utter bobbins at others. This "table" makes a false equivalence that somehow all nations are competing with each other at all events.Β 

And it generates headlines like this pish.

USA are lagging in the Olympic gold medal table. Should American fans panic?

Panic? About not winning "enough" medals? This isn't the spirit of the games, sorry.Β 

58 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Β 

Panic? About not winning "enough" medals? This isn't the spirit of the games, sorry.Β 

I would suspect the governing bodies(and that usually means direct or indirect national government) who spend an absolute fortune incentivising athletes and who target funding of sports based on their likelihood to get medals would completely disagree. Β  Β  If they don't think they're getting value for money for the spending then that comes with massive consequences