1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

From a Hearts point of view, I think season tickets are fair enough at the moment. You can have a decent seat for about £20 a game, and an adult can watch Hearts for £17 a game. That's decent.

Hearts are something of an outlier in that we've invariably got the widest gap between the top price seats and the cheap seats

You can either read that as some stereotypically bourgeoise Edinburgh class based stratification or alternatively as a Marxist utopian "From each according to their ability" thing

22 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Carrying on from a debate about the cost of an away ticket for the Dundee Derby. 

What's your cut off point for how much you would be willing to pay for a Scottish top flight league game.

Although I can afford to, paying £34 to watch a Scottish top flight game is above what I would be willing to pay, Dundee Derby or not, adding my 2 teenage sons at £20 each, then we are up at £74, not including food.

The directors have got the price right though, as it will no doubt be a sell out, because others are willing to pay this. Fair enough. But imo, the price doesn't meet the value. 

For me, around £28 is currently my absolute max, and around £15 for the teenage boys.

How much does it need to be for you to say, "nah, f**k that"?

Especially after watching the Euros , and then the Kilmarnock Euro game

1 hour ago, StAndrew7 said:

I'm in a similar boat to most, here; £25 is my absolute maximum for going to a game. Fir Park is £24 for the Sailor Hunter stand right now for PATG where I watch from when I can go. A season ticket in there is £395 for 19 games; so you're saving about £60 if you buy a ST. If you miss 3 games, you're basically paying the same as a regular punter who goes when they can. Not really sure that's as big an incentive as it should be, given that there's a fairly decent chance people won't make every game.

29 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

In terms of season ticket my limit was breached long ago, handing over hundreds of pounds in one go for something I don't actually need to hand over hundreds of pounds in one go to actually go and see doesn't really work or make sense to me.  We have introduced a pay up scheme but I think its a pretty short time frame.

This point is especially interesting given considerably increased number of TV games this season... Until now the only home games many clubs would see moved were mostly v OF - which some could avoid anyway; but if more getting shifted - especially to Friday/Monday evenings or Sundays - causes them to miss a couple more, people might start wondering what the point is. Beyond always being guaranteed the same seat.

Football in Scotland rarely ever represents value for money. The 'problem' is that fans will pay whatever their club sets the price at because most of said fans, myself included, don't bring value for money in to their judgement. Staying away and refusing to pay these prices week in-week out is probably the answer but they know you aren't going to do that as going to the football isn't a sensible investment, it is emotional.

Plenty of weekends I have went to a game and come 5pm I've wondered 'why the f**k am I spending money on that?' only to go back again this week following. The decision really needs to be taken out of the fans hands and implemented by regulation, is that going to happen though? Is it f**k. 

Anything above £25 (adult), £15 (concession) and £10 (u12's) seems too much for me. Would it stop me paying stupid prices for a Dundee Derby? Probably not, but it would make me consider any other fixture.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Hearts are something of an outlier in that we've invariably got the widest gap between the top price seats and the cheap seats

You can either read that as some stereotypically bourgeoise Edinburgh class based stratification or alternatively as a Marxist utopian "From each according to their ability" thing

Edinburgh - bourgeois or Marxist?

I don’t see many folk getting that one wrong…

5 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

At least there's a decent chance you'll enjoy the 5 pints.

I have paid ridiculous prices for sporting events which are a lot more than I'd pay for Scottish football.   Tourist leagues can charge what they like and sell the seats.  I think season tickets are generally pretty good value but tbh I'd like to see a cap at £25 max for away games for all teams.   

This is true but i'd give up the 5 pints before i give up going to watch my team. 

I agree on some sort of cap. if Celtic ever send Killie tickets for Sunday we might know how much we are getting shafted by. I assume £35 or thereabouts. My ticket for both legs vs Cercle Brugge are £25 each. 

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

In terms of season ticket my limit was breached long ago, handing over hundreds of pounds in one go for something I don't actually need to hand over hundreds of pounds in one go to actually go and see doesn't really work or make sense to me.  We have introduced a pay up scheme but I think its a pretty short time frame.  

For a walk up I do think £20 is plenty and since we have gone past that I have attended less regularly.  Its obviously not just the ticket price where my limit comes in,  im looking at the cost of getting there which for me is train so the prices regularly go up there as well so something closer to me going up to £26 like Hamilton is more appealing when skint than something a little further away like Raith Rovers at £22.   

Away fans are treated like shite as well which plays a part, I cant for the life of me remember who it was but I do remember not going to a game because we were getting moved to a different area of a ground and being charged more for being in there than the 1st visit of the season - this was pre-covid and sounds like a Dundee United style tactic but cant be certain.  

My season ticket was £430 early bird this year. TBF, Having a season ticket saved the panic over general sale for Belgium. Know a fair few who are having to go in the home end. 

Ours are now £460 now that early bird has ended but we seem to be selling well as we broke the 5,000 barrier a few weeks back.

Agree with Pens Dark’s comment about going to the fitba’ as being an emotional thing, tied to your team. On Thursday night, I’ll have paid £29 to see St Mirren v Valur in a European game. I think keeping it under the thirty quid mark for our first home European game in 38 years is an acceptable price. There’s no guarantee that the ‘matchday experience’ will be value for money. Could be an utter shitfest only matched by the shitfests dished up in away games against Ferrantibank Thistle at the Tonio Macaronio plastic pellets theatre of bad dreams. A shitfest on Thursday where we win 1-0? Brilliant. A shitfest where we lose 0-1? A fcuking waste of nearly thirty quids…. Them’s the breaks.

I don’t baulk at paying a lot more for a concert ticket than I’d pay for any fitba’ match. You don’t usually buy a ticket for a band you don’t like, so it’s pretty much a given that it won’t be a shitfest and you’ll have a brilliant night. Mind you, Bad Company at the Apollo in 1979… those kunts didn’t give a fcuk that night. Looked and played like someone had shat in their mince. Stands out in my memory banks because shite gigs have been so few and far between that those miserable wankers still boil my piss.

I've reached my limit with Accies this season. £20 for League One was bad but somewhat tolerable (although less so in the uncompetitive second half of the season), however the jump to £26 this season means that I'll be going much less frequently. 

Our board blamed everyone but themselves for the pricing ("take advantage of away crowds", "other clubs were going to charge the same, honest", "get more fans") which makes it even more frustrating. It's not like they even had some baloney prepared like they did last season when they asked us to pay more for tickets because the owner was paying more to sponsor the shirt. 

You always get people trying to minimise it by saying "it's only an X increase" but that's what the people in charge of clubs are banking on. Even then, it's more than £100 more expensive for me to pay into every home game this season than it was just over a year ago in the Championship.

When Edinburgh City weren't playing or were away to far flung parts I would occasionally go along to Easter Road or Tynecastle but I find that's a bit dear now. Twenty quid is about my limit it would seem. Fortunately there are a lot of good East of Scotland clubs in the Edinburgh area that I can go and see for a tenner- I enjoyed watching Haddington v Glenrothes on Saturday for a tenner, there were 7 goals and some of them were pretty spectacular. 

9 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

There were loads of them at our game in May.

Although tbf most of them arrived at FT...

Not till after the game I don’t think. 

Edited by adamntg

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

My season ticket was £430 early bird this year. TBF, Having a season ticket saved the panic over general sale for Belgium. Know a fair few who are having to go in the home end. 

Ours are now £460 now that early bird has ended but we seem to be selling well as we broke the 5,000 barrier a few weeks back.

I totally get that part and that's where there's a difference for me, the season ticket provides something tangible there where you can actually go to a match you otherwise could not.  

For the derby game I reckon £38 is definitely my limit.

£60 to watch United with a £22 refund for having to tolerate the opposition.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

For the derby game I reckon £38 is definitely my limit.

£60 to watch United with a £22 refund for having to tolerate the opposition.

We need to also buy sunglasses to take away the glare from the Day-Glo monstrosity.

3 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

Football in Scotland rarely ever represents value for money. The 'problem' is that fans will pay whatever their club sets the price at because most of said fans, myself included, don't bring value for money in to their judgement. Staying away and refusing to pay these prices week in-week out is probably the answer but they know you aren't going to do that as going to the football isn't a sensible investment, it is emotional.

Of course overall crowds varied quite markedly across last century.

With clubs now charging historically high admission levels (v earnings or general prices), they could box themself into trouble if social or economic conditions reproduce attendance contractions like 1930s, 1950s-1970s or 2010s.

Edited by HibeeJibee