Favourite Female Artists, Without Beauty Bias

Tori Amos. Boys for Pele and Little Earthquakes are both on my list of perfect albums that I can just put on though good headphones when I don't have anything else I need to do, and just sit and enjoy all the way through.

No matter what type of music you listen to, I genuinely think those opportunities are one of life's simple pleasures.

Edited by Al B

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Billie Holiday

I was listening to loads of 1950s music earlier in the year and  Billie Holiday absolutely blew me away.  

I'd heard of her of course, and I've actually read quite a bit about her life down the years in music magazines and such but I'd never got round to listening to the music.  

She puts 'feel' in a vocal like no other.  Absolute instant favourite.

I'd put Joni Mitchell in there.  Great voice, great songwriter, great musician, and I'm saying, the greatest lyricist in popular music.  

There are loads of great blues and soul singers who are basically ignored by mainstream music, I could name many but I'll mention a couple, Koko Taylor, she had a voice that could break your arm, and Sugar Pie DeSanto, excellent R&B singer with a great body of work.  I believe she was a childhood friend of Etta James and has a similar style.

I suppose mine would all be considered pretty mainstream.

Gladys Knight, Aretha Franklin, Belinda Carlisle, Laura Branigan, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Dolly Parton, Cher, Tracy Chapman, Dusty Springfield, Alison Moyet, Donna Summer, Heart, Pat Benatar.

I'm also unashamedly a Britney fan, and Ariana Grande has an absolutely incredible voice

Dusty, PJ Harvey, Little Simz, Sampa the Great, Rachel Sermani all regular listens for me.

Maria Mckee has done some of my favourite songs ever (life is sweet/afterlife) but also does occasional power ballads and c&w- strange one.  Bjork also has some stone cold classics to her name but a lot of aimless screeching too. 

Jessie J, Kesha, Avril Lavigne, Altered Sky, Paramore, Tonight Alive, We Are The In Crowd, LOLO, Hot Milk, The Warning, As December Falls, Fear Me December, The Pretty Reckless, Jeanice Lee, Forever Still, Infected Rain, Lesbian Bed Death, Liv Sin, Evanescence, Within Temptation, Conquer Divide, Lacuna Coil, Sick N Beautiful, Employed To Serve, Theatres Des Vampires. Love them all.

22 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

You're just making these up now aren't you ?....I've heard of three of them.

Two of them are local but all real bands. List got heavier as it goes on, so depends on your taste if you'd like them but I'dve expected most people to have heard of at least 5.

1 hour ago, AnderooMFC said:

Two of them are local but all real bands. List got heavier as it goes on, so depends on your taste if you'd like them but I'dve expected most people to have heard of at least 5.

I'm 73 years old, and suspect that I wouldn't be in their target demographic.

19 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

I'm 73 years old, and suspect that I wouldn't be in their target demographic.

Well the two I'm guessing you didn't know that I thought people might (Paramore and Evanescence) were more famous when they started 15-20 years ago but even then you might've been outside the newer bands and chart music lol.

17 minutes ago, AnderooMFC said:

Well the two I'm guessing you didn't know that I thought people might (Paramore and Evanescence) were more famous when they started 15-20 years ago but even then you might've been outside the newer bands and chart music lol.

Well,...naw actually !

Evanescence was one I had heard of...The other two being more mainstream pop Jessie J. and Avril Lavigne.

Don't think the missus would be too pleased if I was online at the library searching for Lesbian Bed Partners or whatever it was !

It is rotten being auld.

10 minutes ago, Black Pennel said:

Well,...naw actually !

Evanescence was one I had heard of...The other two being more mainstream pop Jessie J. and Avril Lavigne.

Don't think the missus would be too pleased if I was online at the library searching for Lesbian Bed Partners or whatever it was !

It is rotten being auld.

Thought it would be those two and Kesha that you'd know lol.

Lesbian Bed Death are a band I saw last year because their gig was cheap and the name amused me enough that I wanted it on a tshirt, now I unironically like them. Gothic punk/hard rock with a horror theme to their lyrics.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2024 at 06:47, coprolite said:

Dusty, PJ Harvey, Little Simz, Sampa the Great, Rachel Sermani all regular listens for me.

Maria Mckee has done some of my favourite songs ever (life is sweet/afterlife) but also does occasional power ballads and c&w- strange one.  Bjork also has some stone cold classics to her name but a lot of aimless screeching too. 

Reading through this topic and surprised Maria McKee took so long to appear.

An amazing voice that is so distinctive too.  Not heard anyone that's like her.

"Gotta sin to get saved" is in my top 5 albums.

Also Hannah Wicklund, another tremendous voice but only two albums to her name.

ETA...

Real gone kid from Deacon Blue was about Maria McKee.

Edited by Loonytoons