Raith Rovers' Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Raith's next permanent manager?  

482 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Some do some don’t. Some have someone in mind and act quickly. The key here is timing. How can you defend sacking a guy after one league game. If you’re of the opinion he was right to be sacked he should have gone at the end of last season giving time to find someone else and giving the new manager pre season. Btw did your director of football or whatever he calls himself not give a twenty minute saying they’d done due diligence etc on a new manager and that this would be quick. So while they might not have had someone  in place he certainly painted a much more positive picture than how it’s playing out. 

It looks like Peter leven was our top target but we got a knock back ,

34 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Some have someone in mind and act quickly. 

I think we did have someone in mind but it didn't materialise. 

35 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

How can you defend sacking a guy after one league game. 

As Barrowman said it's the norm to wait X amount of games/months but for why? They clearly had made their mind up and had seen enough. 

38 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

If you’re of the opinion he was right to be sacked he should have gone at the end of last season

If we had punted him at the end of the season these conversations here would be exactly the same. The board have clearly hoped it might work out in pre season, LC but there weren't any signs of any major improvement.

43 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

So while they might not have had someone  in place he certainly painted a much more positive picture than how it’s playing out. 

They probably felt confident they could get who they were after. If it helps the murmurings at Ayr yesterday was Leven was all set to come in until Aberdeen offered him more money and a guarantee he would be the next Aberdeen manager if/when Thelin leaves 🤷

All in all it's a gamble. It was either stick with Murray and see if things improve or bite the bullet at this early stage and bring someone else in that could improve things. Right now we're needing someone in quick as things haven't really changed on the pitch since Murray left. I've no doubt if Murray was still in charge our season, albeit only 3 games in, would look no different right now. 

13 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Right now we're needing someone in quick as things haven't really changed on the pitch since Murray left. I've no doubt if Murray was still in charge our season, albeit only 3 games in, would look no different right now. 

This is the part that get me, Murray couldn't change it, Potters had 2 games now after seeing the performances for long enough, and he couldn't change it, I really hope whoever we end up with,  can change it 

29 minutes ago, Raithie said:

I've no doubt if Murray was still in charge our season, albeit only 3 games in, would look no different right now. 

You've had two whole league games since the sacking and it's still August. The ghost of Johan Cruyff wouldn't have been able to effect a perceivable change in that time frame.

Does anyone think that the situation Murray found himself in with having little control over recruitment finally burst his cranium and he went tonto after the first game of the season.  His interview post match would suggest this. Then Barrowman said that is not the way to behave and sacked him. The group analysis of results from January being the driver is at best a weak excuse. If my theory is correct then it makes the manager hunt fiasco more believable.  Murray has said nought since which ties it in more

9 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Does anyone think that the situation Murray found himself in with having little control over recruitment finally burst his cranium and he went tonto after the first game of the season.  His interview post match would suggest this. Then Barrowman said that is not the way to behave and sacked him. The group analysis of results from January being the driver is at best a weak excuse. If my theory is correct then it makes the manager hunt fiasco more believable.  Murray has said nought since which ties it in more

Nope, think this theory is 100% shite.

4 hours ago, Raithie said:

They probably felt confident they could get who they were after. If it helps the murmurings at Ayr yesterday was Leven was all set to come in until Aberdeen offered him more money and a guarantee he would be the next Aberdeen manager if/when Thelin leaves 🤷

This. 

The risk we were running was that our preferred targets were all employed elsewhere. We can sound these guys out and get positive responses but if their current employer comes back with a game changing offer there's not a lot we can do. The same may well happen with Healy. 

The fact we're going after people who are highly regarded at their current club rather than the usual list of failures currently out of work is a good sign, even if it's taking longer than we'd all like. 

28 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The fact we're going after people who are highly regarded at their current club rather than the usual list of failures currently out of work is a good sign, even if it's taking longer than we'd all like. 

It's very difficult to take the risk of thinking outside the box at this level. Ayr have done it twice in succession, the latter looking like a better result than the former. Unsure that targetting the interim manager of one of the biggest clubs in the country counts there though.

12 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Not convinced it works as you're assuming. Murray, Potter, Cameron and our scouting chief, Bill Orr will work to identify targets based on Murray's asks and he'll have the final say in which one to pursue, or if he has specific targets in mind, we'll go for them if they're feasible. No question Murray wanted Hamilton, Mullin, Fordyce, Hanlon and Stevenson, they weren't pushed upon him. What may have been outwith his control in bringing in are backroom staff, we've got a new physio and new fitness/conditioning coach this season, not sure they were people Murray personally chose to work with. (that is speculation on my part, I don't know if they were known to Murray prior to working etc)

I think Murray's last straw was fitness based, Hamilton came on and pulled his hamstring less than a minute later, that points to either a weakness medically that wasn't identified or a poor warm up prior to coming on that wasn't rectified. I can imagine him losing the rag with that coupled with the injuries in the squad already, so perhaps something was said behind the scenes, but who knows.

Edited by CountryBumpkin

I’d expect to hear something today / tomorrow either way with either them announcing that he has extended his contract with Linfield or he is coming.  Looks like Linfield have a board meeting tonight so should  hear soon. But it’s another day closer to the transfer window shutting 🙄

1 hour ago, Varna Rover said:

so what is this latest twist. i cant subscribe for some reason

David Healy’s future will be decided this week.

Although he was expected to make his Linfield exit following an approach from Scottish club Raith Rovers, Blues chairman Roy McGivern stated he will do all in his power to keep the former Northern Ireland international striker at Windsor Park.

Healy, who has enjoyed a trophy-laden nine years at the helm, met with team committee members after the weekend victory over Loughgall and there is a Board meeting scheduled for Monday night.

With the media circus descending on the international venue on Saturday, Healy unsurprisingly decided to dodge his post-match duties, leaving his second in command Ross Oliver to not only analyse the game, but to delicately negotiate the mystery surrounding his manager’s future.

The match was, in many ways, a side attraction. In fact, home supporters, sensing it could be the last time they see Healy in the Linfield dugout, chanted his name as he made his way down the tunnel at the finish.

A double goal blast from defender Sam Roscoe had the fans dancing with delight, with Chris McKee, Joel Cooper and Ethan McGee also getting in on the scoring stakes, while Ryan Waide hit Loughgall’s consolation.

David Healy’s future will be decided this week.

Although he was expected to make his Linfield exit following an approach from Scottish club Raith Rovers, Blues chairman Roy McGivern stated he will do all in his power to keep the former Northern Ireland international striker at Windsor Park.

Healy, who has enjoyed a trophy-laden nine years at the helm, met with team committee members after the weekend victory over Loughgall and there is a Board meeting scheduled for Monday night.

Chris McKee takes the acclaim after setting Linfield on their way against Loughgall

With the media circus descending on the international venue on Saturday, Healy unsurprisingly decided to dodge his post-match duties, leaving his second in command Ross Oliver to not only analyse the game, but to delicately negotiate the mystery surrounding his manager’s future.

The match was, in many ways, a side attraction. In fact, home supporters, sensing it could be the last time they see Healy in the Linfield dugout, chanted his name as he made his way down the tunnel at the finish.

A double goal blast from defender Sam Roscoe had the fans dancing with delight, with Chris McKee, Joel Cooper and Ethan McGee also getting in on the scoring stakes, while Ryan Waide hit Loughgall’s consolation.

Pause

Unmute

Loughgall midfielder Andrew Hoey is felled by Chris McKee

Loughgall midfielder Andrew Hoey is felled by Chris McKee

Even though Healy certainly has the credentials to take on another challenge, Oliver cleverly batted away the suggestion that the Blues boss could be on his way.

“Why wouldn’t clubs come calling?” he asked. “David’s record speaks for itself. There are other managers in this League capable of doing a job across the water.

“I don’t see any reason why they shouldn’t get a chance. But this club means a lot to David. He loves the club, everyone knows that, so it will take something special to prise him away.”

Oliver insisted the players were professional in their approach to the game, even though speculation about Healy’s future gained momentum as the week went on.

“We didn’t speak about it much, we just got on with things,” he added. “We’ve had a good start to the League campaign and we wanted to keep that going.

Edited by mealsonwheels

14 hours ago, mealsonwheels said:

Seen this plenty of times before. I am going to guess it Isn’t happening and he has used our interest to get a better deal for himself. 

I did not agree with the timing of the decision, but I am slightly shocked we are finding it so difficult to attract managers we are interested in. The club has invested money and people in creating what they call an elite environment but no one wants to leave where they are so it doesn’t seem to have made the difference in getting who we want.

Has the treatment of IM put people off? 

If I was Healy I'd be thinking, well Raith have made me a better deal than I'm on and now the board are offering me a better deal to stay ..... would I have got that better offer if Raith hadn't come along for me. The answer is probably not

I get the impression that this move is more about opening up future opportunities for Healy than it is about getting a better deal than he’s currently on.

The article posted yesterday about good Irish based managers being overlooked for bigger jobs was really interesting. Coupled with the fact that Healy has recently changed his agent probably tells you it’s a move he’s after and not a pay rise.