Crimes Against Humanity

On 17/08/2024 at 16:39, hk blues said:

Further, I'm surprised she hasn't asked you to swing around that bread bin 90° so you can access that plug.  

17 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Blocking socket as well.  Disgusting. 

Keep up. 

22 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Firstly, we're in 2024, I thought bread bins went the way of old fashioned fishing ornaments and a wee gold clock that you could see it's gears moving.

Secondly, takeaways - Indian restaurants are particularly bad for it but others are just as bad - that put a price against a main and don't include any sides at all within the price. I want my meal all inclusive - give me options - asking for an additional £3 for rice or chips or a naan just makes me feel ripped off. I'm happy to be ripped off otherwise I would be cooking something myself - just give me one price with at least 1 side included so it actually forms the basis of a meal as opposed to just some chicken and sauce.

Ordering your own "meal" from an Indian is gauche, unless it's only you ordering. If i saw a a menu that included chips in the price i'd assume it was shit curry. 

On 17/08/2024 at 07:45, tongue_tied_danny said:

Reality TV.

Big Brother, Love Island, Made in Chelsea etc.

Big Brother was fascinating as a social experiment when it first started. I studied it in Higher Media Studies at school. They ruined it when they deliberately began picking outrageous characters. 

39 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Ordering your own "meal" from an Indian is gauche, unless it's only you ordering. If i saw a a menu that included chips in the price i'd assume it was shit curry. 

I absolutely detest James Corden but he got it spot on in that Gavin and Stacey skit in that if you want a lamb bhuna, you order your own lamb bhuna.

Sharing a curry is for Korma lovers IMO.

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Big Brother was fascinating as a social experiment when it first started. I studied it in Higher Media Studies at school. They ruined it when they deliberately began picking outrageous characters. 

That's my thoughts on it too.  The first 3/4 series of it from 2000 to 2003 was genuinely brilliant TV IMO, then as you say, they just started choosing freaks and absolute mentalists.

13 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

It certainly sounded interesting in the pre-publicity. The reality was that it was incredibly tedious and I switched off after two episodes, never to return. Was genuinely amazed that it became anything other than a one-off experiment, never mind that it was so popular for years.

Reality TV is astonishing for the things that people will watch. Gogglebox; a show where very dull people watch TV and you watch them watching the TV, occasionally making banal comments. I've known multiple people who've said that it's their favourite show.

14 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

"Gogglebox is a psyop."

Not my words, the words of @ICTChris

It reminds me of that rumour about certain pop songs being made as bets between music executives - "I bet you can't get this awful tune in the charts" or "which of us can make the most talentless group successful?"

I can't think of a pitch that would beat "we film people watching a TV show that the viewer can't see" - watching paint dry just seems like cheating.

57 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Footballers using the word, 'buzzing'.

Exception required for Alloa and Brentford players.

This bullshit that Tesco started whereby you need a clubcard to buy things at the normal price, otherwise it's some made up inflated bullshit. 

Various other massive cunty companies are trying the same shit.

Edited by pub car king

43 minutes ago, pub car king said:

This bullshit that Tesco started whereby you need a clubcard to buy things at the normal price, otherwise it's some made up inflated bullshit. 

Various other massive cunty compa it's are trying the same shit.

It's something they've picked up from the States. I was in a branch of Safeway seven or eight years ago and didn't twig what was going on with the dual prices until I got to the till. The lassie checking me out scanned her loyalty card and it was a pretty big saving; I think literally everything was more expensive if you didn't have the card.

This is probably the way companies are going to go in order to get their hands on data - I've noticed that news websites have all started having a paywall where you can get in for free, but you have to give them access to your cookies, or you can pay a subscription for them to leave your data alone  :mellow:

10 hours ago, pub car king said:

Various other massive cunty companies are trying the same shit.

To keep a football perspective to it, I try to liken it to a season ticket holder.  A season ticket holder gets into each game for a cheaper average price than the occasional fan does.  Season ticket holders also get various other perks.

Both clubcard and season ticket holders loyal receive a better rate.  I personally think that’s a good thing.