🔵🟡Scotland v Poland 🔴⚪

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Looking like you're doing something because you've spun your man in the middle of the park before then overhitting every pass by about 15 yards once you get into a dangerous position is not remotely useful. Contrast with Christie who, other than the inevitable couple of infuriating attempts to cut inside followed by an abysmal shot, consistently found a Scotland player in a dangerous position when he was in the final third.

Routinely paying more attention to trying to buy fouls than trying to do something with the ball is also getting extremely tiresome.

Ralston playing the ball down the line to McGinn for him to spin his man and open up the play was part of the reason why Christie was getting opportunities. 

I’m a big Clarke fan - one of the few(?) who remain Clarke in - but he got the first half wrong. We were the better team but far too timid in possession - and susceptible to the Poland counter. He did change things for the better, albeit we lost, and deserves credit for that, plus the players appear to be playing for him. 

I understand calls for him to go, as I have done since the summer, (though some have been waiting since Euro2020), but not for me yet.  

Edited by PSJ.84

2 minutes ago, deadasdillinger said:

This time last year we were about to win our 5th qualifier in a row. What the f**k are you talking about?

I didn't say he should've been sacked this time last year, but this time last year was when certain illusions began to be shattered. A year on, with a bordering San Marino level of goals conceded, and yet the apologists are still out in force.

2 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

Emmmmmmm..aye, he's a similar type of player. 

Deary me.

Gilmour is a 6 that can dictate the game. Great passing range. Brilliant technical player.

Barron is a high energy 8 that’s box-to-box. Great energy but fairly technically limited.

Edited by TheMotherwell1

23 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Hanley fcuked up, but you could at least see what he was attempting to do - we see that second too slow challenge all the time. There was literally no way Ralston could win the ball sticking his leg in like that. None, zilch, nada. I couldn't even understand how it was a penalty when the ref first blew, because it didn't make any sense that a defender would do that.

Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 22.17.32.png

If that's the way you see it fair enough. I see Hanley's as a much smellier brain fart. Last minute, no way the boy is getting a shot off - just shape for the block, don't make contact.

Anyway, the Mother Clyde is big enough for both of them.

1 minute ago, mylothedog said:

Sorry mate, I didn't read them rules. It's obviously still a sore one for you, will do better in future 😉 

It's obviously not "a rule" but bringing club shite onto a Scotland thread just f**ks it.

Up to you what you do with that info, it's just basic common sense.

It was a perfect time to bin Clarke and have a fresh start after the Euros, but instead they hid for 3 months and pretended nothing has happened. His patter/lack of humility rubbed me up the wrong way too, you can get away with being a bit of a p***k when things are going well but he’s one to never admit that he’s wrong and in a football manager, that is a flaw.

All very well playing some pretty triangles and doing all the work to get yourself back in the game, but 2 mistakes from 2 players who should be nowhere near the squad sums it up. Kenny McLean and Grant Hanley starting for Scotland in 2024 is worthy of arrest.

It also really f**ks me off that they seemed more up for it tonight than in the summer.

Football, like lots of things in life, is cyclical and it just feels like Clarke’s cycle is done. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

2 minutes ago, AUcal said:

Baffled at the decision to take Gilmour off when McGinn was still on the the park.

Untouchable. The BBC made something of Stephen McGinn conveying that Paul told him he felt Lennon Miller was the best player he'd played with and the BBC went on about he dingied his brother. He's been well off the boil for a number of games but he's untouchable.

Simply put we have such a limited pool of players, the quality ones go down and we're into tier 2 and its not pretty. When you're of limited ability you better hope you're composed and have good decision making, our limited players have minimal reserves of both.

Gilmour has been in the top three of performers when played since the Netherlands friendly before Euro 2020 and is still getting hooked like he's a prospect.

1 minute ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

It was a perfect time to bin Clarke and have a fresh start, but instead they hid for 3 months and pretended nothing has happened.

All very well playing some pretty triangles and doing all the work to get yourself back in the game, but 2 mistakes from 2 players who should be nowhere near the squad sums it up. Kenny McLean and Grant Hanley starting for Scotland in 2024 is worthy of arrest.

It also really f**ks me off that they seemed more up for it tonight than in June. 

Football, like lots of things in life, is cyclical and it just feels like Clarke’s cycle is done. 

Agreed 

Many Years ago we had journeymen, championship players and worse playing for us we were utter guff. 

Then a few years ago we had Premiership players and decent old firm players playing and we were quite decent.

Today we have journeymen, championship players and worse playing for us and we are unsurprisingly back to square one. Square one being utter shite.

No real surprise when you see the lack of quality in the squad. 

Did not deserve that tonite but then equally we did deserve it as we are playing average players. 

6 minutes ago, TheMotherwell1 said:

Deary me.

Gilmour is a 6 that can dictate the game. Great passing range. Brilliant technical player.

Barron is a high energy 8 that’s box-to-box. Great energy but fairly technically limited.

That's a fairly wild take. I take it you've not seen much of him.

5 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I’m a big Clarke fan - one of the few(?) who remain Clarke in - but he got the first half wrong. We were the better team but far too timid in possession - and susceptible to the Poland counter. He did change things for the better, albeit we lost, and deserves credit for that, plus the players appear to be playing for him. As I have done since the Euros,

I understand calls for him to go (though some have been waiting since Euro2020), but not for me yet.  

I thought he was the right man for the gig when he was appointed, liked his first wee while in charge. He got it wrong in the Euro 2020(2021) Finals, but fair enough, learn from it and move on. He got us to another tournament, and proved he'd learned nothing from the 2020 shambles and got it wrong again. It's fair enough for him to claim he's earned the right to see out his contract, but I simply don't trust him any more, even in the scenario whereby he miraculously qualifies us for the WC, because going on past evidence he'll just make a f**king pig's ear of the competition once we get there and have us embarrass ourselves for a third time. Why give him that opportunity?

We've qualified for back-to-back Euros, so the players are clearly capable of achieving that regardless of how precisely it came about, so I don't get the fear that mving on from Clarke would result in a backward step, because the players have proven they are up to qualifying at least, so any competent coach should be able to match that, but why not give the opportunity to someone who might not make a James Hunt of the actual Finals tournament itself? We're fast approaching the point whereby we are sticking by a proven failure, not a proven success. That's if we haven't actually passed that point already.

10 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

That's a fairly wild take. I take it you've not seen much of him.

Yes he’s that good as a ball playing 6 that Rangers didn’t look completely bereft of a ball playing 6 on Sunday!

Vertical Challenge aside their games have absolutely nothing in common.

I actually like Barron btw.

You’re comparing apples and oranges though.

23 minutes ago, ogoftheskye said:

I didn't say he should've been sacked this time last year

No, you just said the Clarke era was over, at a time when we were playing the best football I can remember, in the midst of the best run of results I can remember. 

15 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Many Years ago we had journeymen, championship players and worse playing for us we were utter guff. 

Then a few years ago we had Premiership players and decent old firm players playing and we were quite decent.

Today we have journeymen, championship players and worse playing for us and we are unsurprisingly back to square one. Square one being utter shite.

No real surprise when you see the lack of quality in the squad. 

Did not deserve that tonite but then equally we did deserve it as we are playing average players. 

Bizarre take tbh

I just want us to scrape 3rd and stay in league A

So much better to be playing the top countries on repeat, even if we get the odd nosebleed 

It is where Scotland belong

Believing that is half the battle 

Edited by MarkoP

Ultimately we've lost to a bang average outfit at home.   There were actually a good number of positives but if you gift wrap goals it's all pretty pointless.

Hanley's tackle was next level stupidity.  The boy is running it onto the byeline ffs.  Just at block it out for a corner.   

Ralston's is just really clumsy, again in a position of no real danger. 

Thought McTominay was mostly superb but he could have played people in a few times,  still not young to criticise him too much for shooting.   Subs liked lively as well