Ingrained in your head.

4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

The radio adverts for Maureen 118212 are still kicking about.  I canny believe that in the internet age, people are still phoning a directory enquiry service at a squillion £ per minute to obtain info they could google in 30 seconds.

Yet, there must be a market for it if they can afford radio advertising, and still make a profit above that.

The first generation of widespread internet users have only just reached middle-age; anyone older than that had to make an effort to understand the new technology, and an awful lot didn't make it. Neither of my parents even understand texting, for example, and my mother's tried. She used to be "the computer person" at her work back when IT support wasn't a thing in the average workplace - it's like rocket science to her now. I'd imagine they're the client base for these legacy services; my father will go to all sorts of lengths to get information, or access services, rather than just give me a call and get me to do it within a few seconds.

Related, and I'm not sure how much I really believe this, but I keep hearing from people involved in education that the current generation of kids have deficiencies in using simple internet-based services. The idea is that a lot of them will be whizzes with social media and smartphones, but struggle with effective searches, internet shopping, stuff like that. No idea how true that is, but I must admit to being surprised by how my (now adult) son finds it difficult to access basic information, and I've been trying to show him how to shop around online for the best prices for things, checking a retailer's reliability, etc. Maybe some of us have underestimated just how much these are skills that need to be taught and learned.

5 hours ago, shuggz said:

I can still remember April 5th....my first girlfriends birthday...we split up in 1974.

To be fair, it happens every year.

5 hours ago, shuggz said:

I can still remember April 5th....my first girlfriends birthday...we split up in 1974.

Similarly, I fully expect to be in the nursing home thinking, "why do I keep remembering March 23rd as an important date?"

That was a cultural phenomenon. Remember when it was all the rage to reply "get away!" to people?

Then again, maybe they only did that to me  :(

On 09/09/2024 at 18:48, tamthebam said:

Marilyn Clarke fae the Jewel is a slag

There was a wall near my old work which got regularly graffitied then swiftly painted over on behalf of William Hill, whose shop the wall belonged to.

One Monday I went for my lunchtime chippy to see "Steg Burns I am stabben yer neck you junkie", "Tina shags [people from Pakistan]" and a parade of failed attempts at swastikas.

I've never met a Steg Burns, but whenever I meet a Tina I can't help picturing them in the act.

When the subject of graffiti comes up, I'll occasionally wonder if Annmarie ever made it back from her mad mission to Alloa town centre in 2002.

Recently noticed that she left a note on a bus stop in Sauchie too. Some lassie.

image.png.21f4e49d54f63b65f8d4c3adb5526ea1.png

11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

When the subject of graffiti comes up, I'll occasionally wonder if Annmarie ever made it back from her mad mission to Alloa town centre in 2002.

Recently noticed that she left a note on a bus stop in Sauchie too. Some lassie.

image.png.21f4e49d54f63b65f8d4c3adb5526ea1.png

Clearly offering herself as part of the shoe repair/ half price key deal 🤐

23 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

The radio adverts for Maureen 118212 are still kicking about.  I canny believe that in the internet age, people are still phoning a directory enquiry service at a squillion £ per minute to obtain info they could google in 30 seconds.

Yet, there must be a market for it if they can afford radio advertising, and still make a profit above that.

Thought the exact same thing after hearing it on TalkSport for the 847583th time during an advert break the other day. Absolutely crazy.

When I was a teenager, a pal of mine went out with a girl for a while. Anyway, I remember one day quite vividly. The three of us were in his living room, and she was about to go home. He saw her to the door. When he came back into the room, he put his arms into the air in celebration, like Rocky Balboa winning a fight, and declaring "She said she'd w**k me off on Thursday!"

That image of him, and that one sentence, stuck in my head. I saw her in a shop in Alloa a couple of months ago. A middle aged woman in a supermarket, minding her own business, and all I could think of was my old pal, hands in the air, saying that one sentence. 

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

When I was a teenager, a pal of mine went out with a girl for a while. Anyway, I remember one day quite vividly. The three of us were in his living room, and she was about to go home. He saw her to the door. When he came back into the room, he put his arms into the air in celebration, like Rocky Balboa winning a fight, and declaring "She said she'd w**k me off on Thursday!"

That image of him, and that one sentence, stuck in my head. I saw her in a shop in Alloa a couple of months ago. A middle aged woman in a supermarket, minding her own business, and all I could think of was my old pal, hands in the air, saying that one sentence. 

200w.gif.894daf3eda9cffb0af6b635e3f933d6f.gif

37 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Could've been a lot worse TBH.

A lassie I've known for years once confessed she liked watersports, but that she wasn't keen on "solids". Had a Fridge Horror moment later on when I realised that she must have tried it to work that out  :mellow:

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I've also now realised that every time I see James Tedesco playing in the NRL, I sing the jingle from the Tedesco's Tiling advert.

One of the b-b-b-best selections in the land

I've also been doing that to the matches he plays in for a number of seasons.