Raith Rovers v falkirk

Not only has the recruitment been good but the club is being well managed so I'd imagine the contract side of things doesn't contain anything the club find objectionable in the way Raith fans always allude to from mcglynns time with them. 

In terms of the game I'm not sure how this will go, sometimes teams struggle after a hard performance and defeat against a stronger team.

We do have a whole week to recover so hopefully the lads just take the positives from the game and look to take their frustrations about losing out on Raith by giving them such a pasting that even the Dunfermline fans feel sorry for them. 

38 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

You signed freeman to play right back surely? Yet you need another one. You signed Jameson to play up front yet you still need another striker.  You've got a pretty decent sized squad but just keep signing more and more players.

Freeman was the only right back until Dabo came in, you do understand the old cliche of having two players for every position right? I'm sure even Falkirk have that setup? Jamieson wasn't brought in to be a striker, he's a wide forward/winger. 

We've got a squad of 24 and another out on loan. Your squad according to transfermarkt is at 23 plus I think a handful of young lads that probably aren't listed on there. We've also got some long term injuries in our number. Another forward on loan would be good.

10 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

I'd imagine the contract side of things doesn't contain anything the club find objectionable in the way Raith fans always allude to from mcglynns time with them. 

Any way of proving that? Or just hope?

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

No the better sides tend to get their signings right the first time instead of having to sign more new players to cover the fact the first ones signed are rotten.

So some teams deliberately sign shite players and some teams only ever sign good ones. Gotcha 🤨

Won’t speak of Raith’s recruitment strategy as don’t know the ins and outs, but they’ve definitely got a very good Championship squad on paper.

Do have to say though, of all the criticisms that could be put at McGlynn’s door in his nearly 2 and half years in post, poor recruitment isn’t one of them. I don’t know exactly how many signings he’s made for us, but a Dunfermline fan could count up all the duds he’s signed on one hand and still have four fingers left. 

18 minutes ago, Starksdynamo said:

Well I don't have a copy of everyone's contract to hand so no. But no one is on more than a 2 year deal and the club has moved from a massive deficit a couple of years ago to a profit this year so feel confident that the financial side is being well handled.

7 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

So some teams deliberately sign shite players and some teams only ever sign good ones. Gotcha 🤨

Noone gets them all right but the sides that do well get far more right than wrong. For years our recruitment was the opposite then mcglynn came along and our signings have been superb. The odd one hasn't set the heather on fire but that's always going to be the case. The successful ones though have been in the vast majority.

6 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

Well I don't have a copy of everyone's contract to hand so no. But no one is on more than a 2 year deal and the club has moved from a massive deficit a couple of years ago to a profit this year so feel confident that the financial side is being well handled.

Raith undoubtedly have a far bigger budget than we have but I'm not sure they've signed better players despite all that extra cash available. Guess we'll know come may.

If I had the choice of new signings or the likes of Adam’s, Tait, Nesbitt, Agyeman, Mackie on long contracts, I would take the latter any day of the week, especially Keelan, get him tied down on a 10 year deal.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

28 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Raith undoubtedly have a far bigger budget than we have but I'm not sure they've signed better players despite all that extra cash available. Guess we'll know come may.

I'm not convinced there is a significant difference in the playing budgets of each club to be honest. Would agree ours probably slightly higher but it won't be to the extent of half a team higher. I mean Squad sizes are similar and players like Spencer and Lang were signed from us on higher wages than we offered them, also Ethan Ross was one of our highest earners when he left, which is probably why he left. 

What's not in doubt so far is that Falkirk's squad is delivering significantly better value than ours is at present. 

1 hour ago, Starksdynamo said:

I’d say it’s a pretty well educated assumption based on both the recruitment and on how the club as a business has been stewarded since the change in ownership. However if you think you know better feel free draw your own conclusions, you may well have more intimate knowledge than anybody else does however unlikely that may seem. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

13 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

I'm not convinced there is a significant difference in the playing budgets of each club to be honest. Would agree ours probably slightly higher but it won't be to the extent of half a team higher. I mean Squad sizes are similar and players like Spencer and Lang were signed from us on higher wages than we offered them, also Ethan Ross was one of our highest earners when he left, which is probably why he left. 

What's not in doubt so far is that Falkirk's squad is delivering significantly better value than ours is at present. 

You started off with circa 600k of extra prize money this season and have a board happy to invest I would think you have a substantially bigger budget than us. 2 and  3 year deals to guys dropping down from  Hibs won't be cheap.

3 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I’d say it’s a pretty well educated assumption based on both the recruitment and on how the club as a business has been stewarded since the change in ownership. However if you think you know better feel free draw your own conclusions, you may well have more intimate knowledge than anybody else does however unlikely that may seem. 

Weirdly defensive response to a fairly simple question. 

6 minutes ago, jasperellon said:

There appears to be respect from Rovers fans to how Falkirk have been performing and likewise a minimum of disrespect to how poor Rovers have been. However, the joint dislike of the Pars is tremendous!

I’ve got family in Kirkcaldy who are Raith fans and it’s a standing joke between us as to who hates the Pars more😁

6 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I see we've already sold 580 tickets 

Should be a banging Falkirk support despite this being our 5th away game in a row 

At the risk of bringing up crowd size with Falkirk fans I was expecting 2k+ of a travelling support. Early days still so might be around that. 

Dunfermline last time at Starks was honking 1300 or so iirc. We had done them dry several times by that point TBF.

Partick are usually good for a 1000 on a Saturday afternoon so just thought Falkirks first time in Kirkcaldy for a while and current form would see big numbers.