Cashless society

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Whilst I don't actively support it, I'm not entirely opposed either. It's handy for sure and i use it more often than not. But I always still carry say £20 on me. 

It’s inevitable but it is also controlling.  On the plus side it would maybe stop exploiters being able to pay near slave wages on the other hand can beggars accept contactless?

As an aside crypto is a scam and should be heavily regulated or banned before it causes immense harm.  That said it will probably have to cause immense harm before it is regulated or banned.

2 minutes ago, Silvio Tattiescone said:

I've been conditioned to automatically vote John Hughes in any poll. 

I found the last General Election to be quite flummoxative.

I spoiled my ballot (and some of the ballot booth) scoring John hughes onto it.

I've changed my mind on this a little. I understand the benefits to going cashless (harder to launder money, for one), and I rarely use cash these days, but leaving people unable to pay for goods isn't right. There are still a surprising number of people without access to bank accounts, and all it takes is a technical issue to leave any of us unable to pay for goods.

Can't say that I'm terribly keen about making it easier for an authoritarian government to freeze the accounts of people who don't support them either. It's easy enough for them to do now, but if you didn't have any way of cashing out when you saw it being done to other people?

Edit: I'm trying to get my mother to switch entirely to card payments as she's lost her purse three times so far this year, including one time when she was carrying £600 cash. I keep thinking it's going well, only to catch her taking out a few hundred quid "just in case"  :rolleyes:

Edited by BFTD

21 minutes ago, Silvio Tattiescone said:

I reckon if someone stood as John Hughes - Honest Joabs For Honest Laddies, they'd do better than the Greens 

We should suggest politics to him, seeing as how he keeps complaining about being out of work.

I've got a horrible feeling we'd be disappointed by his views, however  :(

I'll pay card for large transactions and shopping, but if a small business (Chinese takeaway, barbers etc) prefers cash then that's how I'll pay.  I always carry cash with me and it infuriates me when people moan about places not accepting card, as they don't have cash on them.

I'm another that always has £20 or so on them but do tend to pay for most things by card but like monkman happy to pay cash to a small business

Edited by doulikefish

Cash for tradesmen

Card for large luxury purchases 

Crypto for drugs, adrenochrome and human trafficking on the dark web.

Keep it simple folks.