Pubs of your misspent youth

Was on my way to a job yesterday and passed - what used to be - the pub we all learned to drink in / score hash when I was a teenager.

As so many pubs from years ago are now closed and/or repurposed, I thought it would be a wee bit of fun to post pictures of what your old local now looks like.

Here is mine - The Dykes, Gilmerton Road, Edinburgh

Sadly, I cant find a photo of its "heyday" but it had all the essentials nearby - bookies opposite, 2 x chippies within 10 yards either side and lots of room round the back for a casual vomit.

The building itself is still the same basic box, but is now a Dominos pizza gaff - so probably doing even less for the health of the community !

image.thumb.png.edf6769044436c010b5aece16c5efda1.png

Edited by Leith Green

Still going strong. Chippy right beside it & bookies nearby. 'Beer garden' out the back which was just a small patio iirc.

MacGregors, Shore Street, Gourock

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ3aGF0cHViIiwia2V5IjoiUkVO

19 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Was on my way to a job yesterday and passed - what used to be - the pub we all learned to drink in / score hash when I was a teenager.

As so many pubs from years ago are now closed and/or repurposed, I thought it would be a wee bit of fun to post pictures of what your old local now looks like.

Here is mine - The Dykes, Gilmerton Road, Edinburgh

Sadly, I cant find a photo of its "heyday" but it had all the essentials nearby - bookies opposite, 2 x chippies within 10 yards either side and lots of room round the back for a casual vomit.

The building itself is still the same basic box, but is now a Dominos pizza gaff - so probably doing even less for the health of the community !

image.thumb.png.edf6769044436c010b5aece16c5efda1.png

I don’t want to post a photo of the place, but I learned to drink in a similar type of boozer when I was young, with the essentials nearby.

‘Sunday Club’ consisted on arriving at lunchtime having already placed some bets on the fitba’, and trying to pace ourselves, which was always a challenge. 

The Chinese next door was very handy at around 6 or 7 PM, after which you’d be nearly falling asleep.

Couldn’t do it now, but in those days it seemed easy to get up for work the next day.

Edited by CarrbridgeSaintee

Tamdhu bannockburn is where I spent most of my days.

Chillin out maxin relaxin all cool.

Pissing up the side of the bandit because we didn't want someone to come in behind us and drop it.

I remember I got a pint which had lipstick marks all around. I might not have bothered if the female clientele weren't all haggard old dipsos so I brought it back up to the barmaid and she snapped at me "ILL HAE TAE PIT THAT DOON AS SPILLAGE"

Christmas day was great. Open in the morning for a huge game of killer then shut for a couple of hours then open again at night.

It's a breakfast place now.

Apparently there was a hall out the back which had a few famous bands gigging in the 80's

The Rock Garden in Queen Street. Used to get the bus into town every Friday and Saturday night to drink in there in the late 80s early 90s. The alternative where we lived was the Legion or Bowling Club.

It's still there after a couple of name changes. Max's Bar now.

rockgarden1.jpg.1fbce6437d2d4aca8768673418cf2553.jpg

The below was the first pub I went to semi-regularly in my youth - It was a typical old man's boozer and we progressed to fancier place doon toon sooner rather than later.  Still there.

Photo

44 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

The Rock Garden in Queen Street. Used to get the bus into town every Friday and Saturday night to drink in there in the late 80s early 90s. The alternative where we lived was the Legion or Bowling Club.

It's still there after a couple of name changes. Max's Bar now.

rockgarden1.jpg.1fbce6437d2d4aca8768673418cf2553.jpg

Used to go in there for a regular Friday lunchtime 'pick me up' of Vitamin T when I worked across the road in early 2000s. Don't think they'd spent a single penny on the place in terms of decor from when that picture was taken. There used to be a manky stuffed bear on the way to the toilets. Wonder if still there? 

Depressing thread, just looked up my haunts and they are gone! Masons in Bathgate is now a Indian restaurant, Dreadnought has shut down.

The Walk Inn where we went having been in Carlton Studios (original building) at 5am isn’t looking like the same establishment, they probably have installed a fancy sit down toilet! 

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

The below was the first pub I went to semi-regularly in my youth - It was a typical old man's boozer and we progressed to fancier place doon toon sooner rather than later.  Still there.

Photo

Drove past it earlier.  Ive never been in the Strath though. 

The Bungalow in Renfrew Rd, Paisley. (not it's current namesake in Shuttle St.)

When Glasgow council shat it  and made it next to impossible for pubs to get an entertainment licence, punk/new wave/post punk bands came to Paisley.

I saw The Skids, Echo and the Bunnymen, Psychedelic Furs, Altered Images, H20 and many others.

Here's a picture of The Bunnymen relaxing post gig.

FB_IMG_1726305469540.jpg

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

When Glasgow council shat it  and made it next to impossible for pubs to get an entertainment licence, punk/new wave/post punk bands came to Paisley.

I saw The Skids, Echo and the Bunnymen, Psychedelic Furs, Altered Images, H20 and many others.

FB_IMG_1726305469540.jpg

Loved going there, last bus back to Glasgow could be interesting to say the least.

6 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

FB_IMG_1726305469540.jpg

and then a wee stagger up lonend to the silver thread for elvis costello gig

Hotel bars in Elgin were always good for a quiet underage pint as long as you kept the head down and maybe had a game or two of pool.

Laichmoray, still going strong.

Laichmoray Hotel - Visit Elgin Scotland

Torr House just up the road. No idea if its still a bar. Dark, dingy, warm pint of Tartan Special.  Take me home. 

62262050.jpg