Pubs of your misspent youth

On 03/10/2024 at 17:51, Torpar said:

The Watering Hole on the New Row in Dunfermline, probably started in there at 16, used to play roller hockey for a team at Carnegie Leisure Centre, would have under 17s training in the afternoon, go for a pint or two after, then train with the seniors (including a young @philpy ) in the evening.

Also used to go through and drink with the Kirkcaldy boys from the team at Smithy's Tavern on Mitchell Street. Can't find a Google maps image, seems to be an offy now, but I remember being in there for a Sunday session once and hearing the singing/shouting from Marvin Andrew's Zion church across the street.  

WateringHole.PNG

Fairly sure I bought my first and first legal pints here, probably both Caffreys*. 

Unfortunately for me this was the scene of my 'Will from the Inbetweeners moment' when I (who had recently turned 18 with a passport to prove it) wandered in still wearing my school uniform and inadvertently ended up clearing out the pub that probably relied on underagers all hidden away in the bottom bit.

*God I miss that stuff.  Spoke to an Irish bar owner in Aberdeen recently who was forced to ditch it as he said he'd need to sell it at ~£10 a pint just to make a profit in a post-Brexit world.  Genuine tragedy.

On 03/10/2024 at 10:41, hk blues said:

The below was the first pub I went to semi-regularly in my youth - It was a typical old man's boozer and we progressed to fancier place doon toon sooner rather than later.  Still there.

Photo

Me and the mates had our first pint in there in 1978. I was 15. We went quite regularly after that because we got kb'd at a lot of other pubs, Whites was another regular haunt for us and another dump.

20039923349_05dab86a37_b.thumb.jpg.8a8f44667f6e7ef77e5f0f782e6cbf36.jpg

Fairly sure that first pint cost 32p, I earned 66p an hour filling shelves a couple of nights a week in Wullie Lows supermarket and worked all day Saturday so I was rich.

It was also the last time I was rich.

24 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Me and the mates had our first pint in there in 1978. I was 15. We went quite regularly after that because we got kb'd at a lot of other pubs, Whites was another regular haunt for us and another dump.

20039923349_05dab86a37_b.thumb.jpg.8a8f44667f6e7ef77e5f0f782e6cbf36.jpg

Fairly sure that first pint cost 32p, I earned 66p an hour filling shelves a couple of nights a week in Wullie Lows supermarket and worked all day Saturday so I was rich.

It was also the last time I was rich.

White's is a particularly grim place. Not helped by me being pedantic about the absence of an apostrophe.

I considered pointing this out to the barmaid, but she was almost certainly capable of punching the seven shades of shit out of me.

Edited by Cosmic Joe

6 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

White's is a particularly grim place. Not helped by me being pedantic about the absence of an apostrophe.

I considered pointing this out to the barmaid, but she was almost certainly capable of punching the seven shades of shit out of me.

It could have operated an unofficial apartheid policy tbf, in which case Whites Bar could make grammatical sense... I think.

On 04/10/2024 at 21:02, Sortmeout said:

Abbey Bar in Kilwinning. An educational facility if ever there was one.

Was the Abbey the one that became the Viking Tandoori? Think I was only in it a couple of times before it closed.

The Claremont in Kilwinning (subsequently Taylors, now closed I think) and then the Alton were my first locals in the early/mid 2000s

I remember my group of pals Claremont schedule well. Tuesday night quiz, Wednesday night karaoke, Thursday night the tougher quiz, Friday night karaoke, Saturday night DJ, Sunday night karaoke again, Monday rest and then repeat.  The "club" downstairs optional at the weekends after it shut upstairs. Good times.

Edited by Markka

On 03/10/2024 at 19:01, mathematics said:

Burlington Bertie’s in Kilmarnock. One part music hall, one part pool hall. Underagers wet dream. Sadly burned down years ago.

IMG_1797.jpeg

I was only ever in this place once approx 2000 when I was about 15, I’m sure it was a 17 year olds birthday party but it might have been an 18th but they were selling drink to people regardless.

Anyway I remember kissing a girl who had blonde dreadlocks/braid type hair with her hair being rock solid when you touched it. It was a great night - one of those nights you turn up to somewhere for the first time and think “this place must always be amazing”. I’m sure it was closed down and then burnt down within a year or so.

Further to my post about The Bungalow, here is is today (I'm in Tim Horton across the road).

As you can see, it's not a bungalow! It took its name from a bar of the same name on the opposite corner in front of what is now Halfords. Painted on the gable of the 2-storey building was THE BUNGALOW BAR in huge letters which was easily seen from the train coming from Glasgow. 

The concert venue was to the left of the doors and only the ground floor was used. To the right of the door was the public bar.

Most recently used as a Japanese restaurant but they are in the process of moving around the corner.

20241006_112553(0).jpg

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Further to my post about The Bungalow, here is is today (I'm in Tim Horton across the road).

As you can see, it's not a bungalow! It took its name from a bar of the same name on the opposite corner in front of what is now Halfords. Painted on the gable of the 2-storey building was THE BUNGALOW BAR in huge letters which was easily seen from the train coming from Glasgow. 

The concert venue was to the left of the doors and only the ground floor was used. To the right of the door was the public bar.

Most recently used as a Japanese restaurant but they are in the process of moving around the corner.

20241006_112553(0).jpg

I think you are making assumptions that the restaurant is Japanese