Thistle vs Falkirk - Saturday 12th October

Result  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Result

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/24 at 14:00

Just now, Nightmare said:

As far as I know there's no real reason other than "tradition". We used to shoot towards the city end terrace in the second half when that was a home end, and even although we haven't had fans in that end for over two decades we've never really changed things up. There's been the odd game every so often where it has happened, but the vast majority of games still have us shooting towards the wilderness in the second half.

Accies do the same thing. I'm wondering if it's for the same reason as us, even although they're at a completely new stadium with even less reason to maintain a tradition.

The only time it has changed for an extended period of time was under Caldwell, where we also changed the home and away dugouts around.
I seem to recall him saying he wanted us to shoot into home fans in the second half and that the dugout change was made as the current away dugout was on the halfway line therefore better for communicating with the whole team.

2 minutes ago, R&Y99 said:

The only time it has changed for an extended period of time was under Caldwell, where we also changed the home and away dugouts around.
I seem to recall him saying he wanted us to shoot into home fans in the second half and that the dugout change was made as the current away dugout was on the halfway line therefore better for communicating with the whole team.

It would make more sense to change it than keep it, imo. A shame it's never really been tried at any time other than under a moron like Caldwell who wasn't going to win games anyway.

58 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

How bad is that main stand. Pretty disgraceful, shoehorned into a rabbit warren. Creaking at the edges.Worst ground we've been to in a long while and that includes the last 5 seasons.

Syd I take it you never went to Edinburgh City away games in Meadowbank 🙈

He does have a point though, if you’re there in any numbers it feels like an accident waiting to happen.  I decided a few years back that I wouldn’t go back there if we’re in that stand.

Not been anywhere worse than Meadowbank to watch football though!

Edited by Disco Duck

18 hours ago, bring_back_the_twa_hoops said:

You've missed my points. But to yours, McGlynn always starts well but once winter sets in with heavy pitches and bad weather and teams in this league capable of sussing him out the optimism will evaporate.

Just as well all our home games and 4/9 away games will be played on artificial.

Anyone else got a garbage cliche they'd like to throw at us?

I’m surprised more away teams don’t force a change of ends when they win the toss. I only remember us shooting towards the KMS in the first half a small handful of times over the past few years (2-2 v Alloa being one of them), but it seems like such an obvious way to unsettle a home crowd at the start of a game. McGlynn should tell the captain to do it every time we win the toss away from home. 

Everton - at least under Sean Dyche- switch teams round almost every time if they win the toss I think.

I've long said it would make more sense to attack the end with fans behind it second half, and in the longer term put smaller away supports at the city end of the JH (this would also make most sense for crowd segregation purposes) , but apart from that spell under Caldwell the switching of ends doesn't seem to have been done on a consistent basis.

Think the counter argument is the crowd behind the goal first half encourages a fast start but we've scored one goal in the first half so far this season.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Everton - at least under Sean Dyche- switch teams round almost every time if they win the toss I think.

I've long said it would make more sense to attack the end with fans behind it second half, and in the longer term put smaller away supports at the city end of the JH (this would also make most sense for crowd segregation purposes) , but apart from that spell under Caldwell the switching of ends doesn't seem to have been done on a consistent basis.

Think the counter argument is the crowd behind the goal first half encourages a fast start but we've scored one goal in the first half so far this season.

I'd like to see the stats,from end of Lockdown ,for which end we score more goals.I have a hunch it's City end backing up theory of facing North in first half for better start/encouragement.

On positioning of dugout I don't think it would matter for Dools as he seems rooted to same spot to the left (looking front JHS) of home dugout.He doesn't seem big on gesticulation either . I wish him or PM would occasionaly sit in the Colin Weir stand for a better view of play though.

21 hours ago, Nightmare said:

As far as I know there's no real reason other than "tradition". We used to shoot towards the city end terrace in the second half when that was a home end, and even although we haven't had fans in that end for over two decades we've never really changed things up. There's been the odd game every so often where it has happened, but the vast majority of games still have us shooting towards the wilderness in the second half.

Accies do the same thing. I'm wondering if it's for the same reason as us, even although they're at a completely new stadium with even less reason to maintain a tradition.

Particularly odd in that for about of decade of that the away team would shoot towards the away end in the second half. 

15 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

I would say Cove Rangers away at Balmoral is worse than Meadowbank. 

Aye? Only went once for a pre season friendly but thought it was fine, temporary stand but the view was fine. 

6 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

Just as well all our home games and 4/9 away games will be played on artificial.

Anyone else got a garbage cliche they'd like to throw at us?

I don't think it's heavy pitches that do McGlynn, but for a long time he really seemed to struggle when the pressure was on in a tight race, seemed to veer from not having a plan B, to making big, wild changes.

29 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Aye? Only went once for a pre season friendly but thought it was fine, temporary stand but the view was fine. 

Wasn't really the view that was the problem for Cove the ground just felt like a bit of a dump to be honest. 

17 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

I would say Cove Rangers away at Balmoral is worse than Meadowbank. 

Cove is a dreadful experience, which I wouldn't go back to even if our keeper scored a last-minute equaliser every time. Meadowbank however, was atrocious. It's probably just pretty shite with a couple of dozen away fans, but it's completely inadequate for any decent sized support. Two portaloos for 500 people? Surprised that was acceptable for a bronze license.

2 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Wasn't really the view that was the problem for Cove the ground just felt like a bit of a dump to be honest. 

Ah fair enough, the drainage underfoot didn't look great but everything looked serviceable enough with nice enough toilets. 

I'd argue that the away sections at Somerset and Firhill would be far more worthy of being called dumps because they look like they haven't been renovated in 50 years. 

10 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Cove is a dreadful experience, which I wouldn't go back to even if our keeper scored a last-minute equaliser every time. Meadowbank however, was atrocious. It's probably just pretty shite with a couple of dozen away fans, but it's completely inadequate for any decent sized support. Two portaloos for 500 people? Surprised that was acceptable for a bronze license.

The home ultras are an odd bunch, after we played them a bunch of what must've been 13 year olds were standing at the edge of the stand doing "Hawd me back" one boy in particular was doing that thing where he was slitting his throat. 

But absolutely no one was holding them back, the rest of the fans from that stand just walked out the same exit as everyone else. Utterly bizarre. It's by a distance the worse viewing experience I've ever had as an away fan.