Alex Salmond deid.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't get the impression that English universities are struggling any less than here.

Thats because they're even bigger basket cases than up here and have put even more of their ivory eggs into the minted foreign student basket. 

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Thats because they're even bigger basket cases than up here and have put even more of their ivory eggs into the minted foreign student basket. 

Scottish Universities are on a similar path, maybe even further down in some cases.

I'm not sure if I'm comparing like-with-like on the figures but 26% of total UK students are from outside the UK.  For Scotland that figure is 29%.

Scottish Universities - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cwyjlenv877o

UK Universities - https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7976/#:~:text=Overseas student numbers,of the total student population.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Scottish Universities are on a similar path, maybe even further down in some cases.

I'm not sure if I'm comparing like-with-like on the figures but 26% of total UK students are from outside the UK.  For Scotland that figure is 29%.

UK Universities - https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7976/#:~:text=Overseas student numbers,of the total student population.

20,000 Chinese students currently attending Edinburgh University, iirc.

7 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

20,000 Chinese students currently attending Edinburgh University, iirc.

I live near to Heriot Watt and often go for walks on campus with my son, or go for a run there.  I don't know the breakdown but it seems like the majorit of students there are from outside the UK, majority from Asia.

Incidentally, Heriot Watt was where the famous Salmond-quote stone was, which they removed after his court case.

31 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Yes I meant that strategically all Unis are at this but Scotland seems a more attractive place to study for overseas students hence a slight increase.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I dont know if anyone managed to tune in to Call Kaye the Cuntress this morning (I didnt) but she was apparently going to discuss "Clearing Alex Salmond's name".

Might have to fire it up on iplayer later for a laugh.

Peak Eck was his appearance on that programme IMO. From 6:30 in...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p027v2p8

4 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

What's 'the English viewpoint ' ? 

Brexit, no to immigaration, colonialism, greed is good/capitalism will serve everyone etc. I'm not claiming every English person thinks like that but, from what I can see, they all seem to be majority viewpoints.

30 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Brexit, no to immigaration, colonialism, greed is good/capitalism will serve everyone etc. I'm not claiming every English person thinks like that but, from what I can see, they all seem to be majority viewpoints.

Plus the 'Bring Back Boris' petition.

Which should be titled 'Bring Back Boris the Liar'

What's the issue repatriating the body ? Is it just an expectation that he should be repatriated by the state due to his standing or is there an actual financial constraint (I've noticed his family and the Alba party publicly saying they have asked Kate Forbes to lobby the UKG for repatriation). Surely he had adequate insurance and this is just a status thing ???

20 hours ago, GordonS said:

Looked like a witch hunt to you, but looked to me like he got away with a series of sexual assaults thanks to a typically unreliable jury, as often happens in such cases.

The "witch-hunt" thing is a conspiracy theory that doesn't make any sense. If they were going to do it, they'd have done it while he was in office. 

I didn't know you could post so much shite in one post.  I think I'll send you my details just in case I get you in a jury.  Bampot.

29 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

What's the issue repatriating the body ? Is it just an expectation that he should be repatriated by the state due to his standing or is there an actual financial constraint (I've noticed his family and the Alba party publicly saying they have asked Kate Forbes to lobby the UKG for repatriation). Surely he had adequate insurance and this is just a status thing ???

A mate of mine got ill with kidney stones in Cyprus and his insurance firm refused to help. Luckily his brother was an RAF medic who organised a training flight to pick him up and get him home. I'm sure someone at RAF Lossiemouth could organise something with little fuss, it's only a wooden box. 

5 hours ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Is there any Independence politicans at moment with anywhere near the same level of strategic skills and/or experience?

Are there any independence politicians even trying to make the economic case, as he did

Which is the only argument that will ever carry 

On 12/10/2024 at 17:31, VictorOnopko said:

RIP to a man with a complicated legacy.

He was a superb leader right through to the referendum.  The last ten years have been an absolute bùrach for him, though.

Alex-Salmond.thumb.webp.f270259d965cc44ed92f4f546701826f.webp

These two spent a lot of time together. 

Edited by Rugbypark

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Surely he had a return ticket.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

A mate of mine got ill with kidney stones in Cyprus and his insurance firm refused to help. Luckily his brother was an RAF medic who organised a training flight to pick him up and get him home. I'm sure someone at RAF Lossiemouth could organise something with little fuss, it's only a wooden box piano case. 

FTFY

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

A mate of mine got ill with kidney stones in Cyprus and his insurance firm refused to help. Luckily his brother was an RAF medic who organised a training flight to pick him up and get him home. I'm sure someone at RAF Lossiemouth could organise something with little fuss, it's only a wooden box. 

And Eck will have less to complain about in the crate than your mate did.

9 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

vehemently opposing bombing in Serbia and Libya and the illegal invasion of Iraq

All SNP mps at the time voted in favour of bombing Libya so he couldn’t have been that vehemently opposed to it. As for opposing the invasion of Iraq and bombing of Serbia, I doubt he was against them for any real ideological reason other than the fact it was a stick to beat Labour with at the time and once he was in power and when it really mattered he and the SNP changed their policy of opposition to NATO and western imperialism. 

Edited by MazzyStar