Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

3 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

The nursery rhyme. 5 little ducks went swimming one day, over the hill and far away"

You can't swim over a hill. Grrrrr. Water flows downhill 

Who mentioned water? Maybe they were swimming in Helium II, which can flow uphill.

9 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Ok. So in a situation where helium 2 is not in equilibrium and there is a surface to creep along to achieve equilibrium, it's possible for the ducks to swim over a hill..... If the ducks are equipped to swim in the minus 269° temperature. 

Another win for P&B right there. Well done folks 

Mispronounciation of place names is one thing, but Big Kawser saying Kirkcudbright as the obvious but completely incorrect way on the BBC national news is just embarrassing. Guess the real annoying bit is the arrogant assumption of knowing a word they've never used without clearing it first. I live at the opposite side of the country and I know this ffs.

That said, Scotrail only relatively recently sorted out the "the next stop is..." announcement for Ardgay from ard-gay to the proper ard-guy. Same assumption thing applies, but at least that raised a smile, distracting one's mind from seeing all the cars going over the Dornoch bridge rather than take your rather lengthy detour via Lairg/Rogart.

19 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Mispronounciation of place names is one thing, but Big Kawser saying Kirkcudbright as the obvious but completely incorrect way on the BBC national news is just embarrassing. Guess the real annoying bit is the arrogant assumption of knowing a word they've never used without clearing it first. I live at the opposite side of the country and I know this ffs.

That said, Scotrail only relatively recently sorted out the "the next stop is..." announcement for Ardgay from ard-gay to the proper ard-guy. Same assumption thing applies, but at least that raised a smile, distracting one's mind from seeing all the cars going over the Dornoch bridge rather than take your rather lengthy detour via Lairg/Rogart.

Travelling north on that line, the next stop is Culrean, which is about 6 minutes away so "the next stop is Culrean" works just fine.

However, the one after that is Invershin, which is only 1 minute away so the announcement is "the next stop is - oh f*** it" because the train has already past it by then!

Kind of makes the journey I would say.

18 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

distracting one's mind from seeing all the cars going over the Dornoch bridge rather than take your rather lengthy detour via Lairg/Rogart.

2 people in Lairg hate this, and a dog in Robart who likes barking at trains, nobody else. They could have done the railway at the same time as the road for not much more. They'll never find the money now. Makes away games in Wick impossible without a car or B+B.