Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

The perfect battered fish is one taken out of the frier and drained for 45 seconds or so before serving. I've built up the courage to ask for the chips to be served separately so they don't steam through the fish and make the batter soggy by the time you get up the road... 

31 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Listen up this is good.

A friend of mine used to sell paper and cardboard products to chip shops.

There is a shop in Kirkcaldy round the back of the Ice Rink called Pauls.

He went in one morning to find him stripping batter off puddings and sausages and re-heating them for the lunchtime crowd.

The irony was that the c**t had a wall of awards which he was chuffed to f**k with.

You bassa. That was my local chippy before I moved to East lothian, you could have told me that decades ago. Thought you were one of the good guys. Pah!! 

Obviously biased to where I stay but Fife for me has the best chippies. Although last time I had one at Anstruther I nearly shat myself in the car on the way home...

Valentes on Hendry Road is my usual. Always fish. Always to order. 

Don’t get me started with chippies down south. Cod? No. 

2 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

someone with a screwed up face saying ' it'll be 5-10 minutes as we have to cook it'

I often find myself rushing for a train/bus (shock horror) and needing something quick to eat prior to a 3hr journey, and when you ask "if I order it, will it be ready within 10 mins as I need to be away then?", they'll be all "aye, no problem, doesn't take long".   Until... they try to make you pay and you say "I'll pay once it's ready".  Different f***ing story then. 

Eta:  for avoidance of doubt, any hot food gets eaten prior to boarding.  I'm not that much of a c***.

Edited by Hedgecutter

10 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

I recall being on the second Subcrawl and visiting the chip shop at Partick.

After about five minutes digging in with a plastic fork I examined said piece of cutlery only to discover 3/4 tines missing.

Never did me any harm.

On a slight tangent, I hate it when they stab the plastic fork into the lid of a polystyrene box.  The sound / feel of polystyrene rubbing against anything is one of those things that makes my skin crawl, especially during removal of said fork.

Eta: in fact, must definitely add chip shops that give you suppers in a polystyrene box.  Get that tae f*** (not in the sea though, for environmental reasons).

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

On a slight tangent, I hate it when they stab the plastic fork into the lid of a polystyrene box.  The sound / feel of polystyrene rubbing against anything is one of those things that makes my skin crawl, especially during removal of said fork.

The correct reaction would be to stab the c**t in the eye.

12 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

I recall being on the second Subcrawl and visiting the chip shop at Partick.

After about five minutes digging in with a plastic fork I examined said piece of cutlery only to discover 3/4 tines missing.

Never did me any harm.

Plastic? Are you sure it wasn't a Metal fork 🤘

40 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Eta: in fact, must definitely add chip shops that give you suppers in a polystyrene box.  Get that tae f*** (not in the sea though, for environmental reasons).

I've never seen that happen. Usually paper or, more so now, a cardboard box. 

I take it they had to stop using days old newspapers for health and safety reasons? 

3 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

chippies

2 hours ago, philpy said:

chippy 

2 hours ago, Wardy said:

chippies 

9 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

chippies

17 hours ago, Aidan said:

chippies

12 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

chippies