Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Some cool kid on here has him as their avatar IIRC. 

According to Wikipedia it's based on the Laughing Cavalier by Frans Hals and was introduced in the 1930s 

The other logo familiar from Scottish pub signs is "Father William" who was the Younger's logo. He was introduced in the 1920s and was designed by Alfred Leete.

Leete is more famous for designing the WW1 "Kitchener wants you" recruiting poster.

Sold a shirt on eBay back in june.  Listed it as used.

I had to post it to Birmingham but accidently wrote wrong postcode (put BBN instead of BN although rest of address was correct).

Messaged the buyer it was sent and tracking code.

A few days later he raised it with eBay to say had not arrived (rather than contacting me).  We established the postcode problem (and tracking showed royal mail had it in their possession pending delivery).

Obviously there was going to be a delay so I offered that as a matter of goodwill to give a full refund (as it might be returned to sender) but should he receive it then he would just pay cost of shirt and not postage, to which he agreed.

I had forgot about it until the other day.  Turns out the guy signed for it two months ago and has not paid me. 

To make matters worse he actually has an eBay business selling designer label stuff and has my USED shirt listed as "Brand New Without Tags" (with a Buy It Now prices of 4 times what he was meant to have paid).

Got to wonder how many other used items he has listed as "new".

Email of complaint fired off to eBay...fecking chancer.

Edited by Sugar_Army

On 04/09/2020 at 19:31, Hedgecutter said:

At risk of sounding like an 80yo, the inability to exit the BBC red button service without  first backing up through every single level to get to the home page which is the only place you can push text to exit.  

If you are with Sky, do you not just press the Sky button to come right out?  Used to be able to do that.  Presume virgin etc have a similar button too. 

2 hours ago, Eednud said:

Wasn’t that Pale Ale, maybe one and the same anyway? I remember they used to sell bottled pale in long necks. 

Green was pale ale, red was export.

I'd tried them as a child at New Year (It happened in those days) and thought they were vile. Tried again when I moved on from lager. Neither is that good and IPA or red beers now are completely different drinks.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Was always intrigued when blue cans appeared in Asda one time when I was about 17. Discovered it was this amber nectar:

Hide contents

No not the pishy lager.

Hide contents

B75C50E9-30F9-4A5F-92DC-B0ABC3AE7962.jpeg.48f3585cb96d70fbcc31d76f9e5d20c7.jpeg

That might be the stuff you still see in pubs in Newcastle. Not great either, neither is Tartan Special. It's almost like Scots would drink anything in those days.

13 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That might be the stuff you still see in pubs in Newcastle. Not great either, neither is Tartan Special. It's almost like Scots would drink anything in those days.

Scotch on draught was decent in some Newcastle pubs in the 90s. Not very popular these days and I never saw it anywhere when I was down there about a year go.

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Scotch on draught was decent in some Newcastle pubs in the 90s. Not very popular these days and I never saw it anywhere when I was down there about a year go.

Are you drinking in old men pubs around non-league grounds?

@newcastle broonmight be able to help. How wide spread is drinking Scotch Ale in your area?

Fife council traffic management (now there is the wrong fuckking word) crew at the 3 way lights at Guardbridge.
Chimpanzees pressing random buttons would do a better job than these fuckwits.
They stand smoking their tabs and tapping their phones.
Wallopers.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

@newcastle broonmight be able to help. How wide spread is drinking Scotch Ale in your area?

I’ll take it anywhere I can get it.

I asked a barman in a pub Tynemouth last year If they still did Scotch and Exhibition and he looked at me like I had green breeks on.

He was about 12 though.

Footballers, in particular midfielders, being described as a number rather than a function. Maybe it's been there forever and I've missed it, but noticing it a lot more in podcasts recently.

"Celtic should be looking to change McGregor from an 8 to a 6" for example. What's so much harder about just saying "make McGregor the defensive midfielder/deep lying playmaker". 

16 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Footballers, in particular midfielders, being described as a number rather than a function. Maybe it's been there forever and I've missed it, but noticing it a lot more in podcasts recently.

"Celtic should be looking to change McGregor from an 8 to a 6" for example. What's so much harder about just saying "make McGregor the defensive midfielder/deep lying playmaker". 

Syllable efficiency.

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Syllable efficiency.

Aye I know, but the point being it's not really a good standard definition is it? Even traditionally the same jobs in midfield could be done at times by guys with 4,6 or 8 on their back, and it wasn't unusual to see a number 8 up front or, obviously, a 4 or 6 at centre half. It also ignores the various roles that a deep lying midfielder, or "box to box" midfielder can fulfill within a tactical system.

It's a distinction that is at the same time completely arbitrary and over simplistic, and the fact it tends to be used in places you'd expect to have a decent standard of analysis of the game is frustrating.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Few and far between I think though im sure I've seen it in traditional bars like the Beehive in the Bigg Market or bars around St.James Park where it was once brewed but it's not what I drink so i havent really went out my way looking for it.

A lot of micro bars have popped up around Newcastle these days.

38 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Aye I know, but the point being it's not really a good standard definition is it? Even traditionally the same jobs in midfield could be done at times by guys with 4,6 or 8 on their back, and it wasn't unusual to see a number 8 up front or, obviously, a 4 or 6 at centre half. It also ignores the various roles that a deep lying midfielder, or "box to box" midfielder can fulfill within a tactical system.

It's a distinction that is at the same time completely arbitrary and over simplistic, and the fact it tends to be used in places you'd expect to have a decent standard of analysis of the game is frustrating.

Totally agree FWIW.

On 06/09/2020 at 00:17, BigFatTabbyDave said:

One of the cats has a long, shaggy coat. At some point yesterday, she's somehow managed to have a horrific shit and plaster her back end in it. It's set like concrete in her fur, with chunky pebbles dangling off. I've just spent half an hour struggling with the beast to try and remove as much as I can with warm water, a cloth, and scissors, as she smells unspeakable and normally curls up on my chest to sleep during the night. Most annoyingly of all, she's been all over me all day begging for my help, then freaks out and fights me when I try.

Also, diet soft drinks taste awful when mixed with spirits.

I feel your pain - been there with one of ours. Luckily, he's mostly Maine Coon and seems to have inherited their fascination with water so submits to a bath readily enough.

The one I dread it happening to is our wee black shorthair...trying to stick him in a bath would be like trying to bathe a stick of dynamite while it's exploding.

The point of changing terminology is to either sound like they know something you don't and are therefore knowledgeable and credible, or to boost the listener's ego because they know this new term. None of it is about efficient communication.