Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

7 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:
12 hours ago, Shandön Par said:
You have a woman’s hand etc..
230C712D-4460-42D8-A143-F3A3E975D949.thumb.jpeg.781fbdbe6e9a7729975a798ef9ddc166.jpeg

Impressively clean nails, nonetheless. Have a greeny.

It is a very shoddy thumb really so I will regrettably have to negate your Charles, I sincerely apologise.

People who don’t even acknowledge homeless people/someone begging on the street. I’ve been standing outside a cafe waiting for a coffee for a few minutes, I’d say 20 people have walked by a woman who has asked every by-passer for change and only 2 or 3 have acknowledged her by saying they don’t have any change.

It’s fine to not have change, or to have some and choose not to give it - there can be a number of reasons for that - but to not even acknowledge someone who’s already in a pretty degrading and dehumanising position is fucking poor behaviour.

31 minutes ago, smpar said:

People who don’t even acknowledge homeless people/someone begging on the street. I’ve been standing outside a cafe waiting for a coffee for a few minutes, I’d say 20 people have walked by a woman who has asked every by-passer for change and only 2 or 3 have acknowledged her by saying they don’t have any change.

It’s fine to not have change, or to have some and choose not to give it - there can be a number of reasons for that - but to not even acknowledge someone who’s already in a pretty degrading and dehumanising position is fucking poor behaviour.

What do you say though that won't sound patronising? It's a dilemma.

What do you say though that won't sound patronising? It's a dilemma.

A simple “sorry, I don’t have change” doesn’t take much effort. It doesn’t put money in their pocket, but it recognises their existence as a human being.

This was hardly on Buchanan Street; this was on a quiet enough street where you simply cannot know the person was there and spoke to you, and not saying anything to somebody unfortunate enough to be in that position is a choice of simply ignoring them.

48 minutes ago, smpar said:

The only time I've done this was in Glasgow last December. Hadn't been through in years and was shocked by how many folk were sleeping rough. I'd have been apologising to hundreds of folk by the time I got to work. Absolutely horrifying to consider that volume of people reduced sitting on freezing pavement, begging people for the cash to live. Haven't seen anything like that since London in the Eighties.

And yet there were still people giving it the, "they make more money than I do/could be in a nice council flat if they wanted/probably live in a nicer house than I do," chat. If you genuinely think people are spending their days begging on the streets in icebox conditions out of choice, you ought to be outraged by the outbreak of mental illness.

A simple “sorry, I don’t have change” doesn’t take much effort. It doesn’t put money in their pocket, but it recognises their existence as a human being.

This was hardly on Buchanan Street; this was on a quiet enough street where you simply cannot know the person was there and spoke to you, and not saying anything to somebody unfortunate enough to be in that position is a choice of simply ignoring them.
Pre covid lock down "Sorry, I don't have change" wouldn't have often been the truth though, rather more often code for "sorry, I have money which I don't want to give you"

13 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

People who do dirty jobs in the sink (or draining board) and somehow think it'll still be fine for washing dishes afterwards.

People who wash one side of dishes and ignore the underside.

People whose idea of washing dishes is to leave them to soak for hours, then transfer them from sink to drying rack with a single token swipe from the scrubbing brush.

People who are too tall to fit in the freezer in one piece.

All of these people are your wife though, aren't they?

40 minutes ago, smpar said:

The general public narrative these dyas is that if not all then most are at it, and drive their BMW 5 series to their chosen hustling locations and play witht heir iPhone all day

42 minutes ago, smpar said:

I'm not sure that blatantly lying to the face of homeless people dozens of times per day is quite the restoring faith in humanity hot take you were going for.

Pre covid lock down "Sorry, I don't have change" wouldn't have often been the truth though, rather more often code for "sorry, I have money which I don't want to give you"

As I said in my original post, there can be a number of reasons to have money that you don’t give to someone on the street. Even if you do have change and choose not to give it, that’s up to you, you’re not obligated to give money to someone on the street.

In my opinion, though, acknowledging their existence is a far better thing to do than to just ignore them, as you have no idea they’re there, which is blatantly not true.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

All of these people are your wife though, aren't they?

Only two of them. I managed to train the wife out of the other two. Other people, not so much  <_<

I'm not sure that blatantly lying to the face of homeless people dozens of times per day is quite the restoring faith in humanity hot take you were going for.

Given how little people carry cash now, saying you don’t have change probably isn’t even a lie the majority of the time.

Sitting in the street begging people for small change must already be a dehumanising position to be in, to have people ignoring you as if you’re not even there can’t help things. Again, politeness isn’t exactly going to help their situation, but it’s got to be better than being ignored by people who clearly know you’re there but choose to pretend you’re not.

1 hour ago, smpar said:

Given how little people carry cash now, saying you don’t have change probably isn’t even a lie the majority of the time.

Sitting in the street begging people for small change must already be a dehumanising position to be in, to have people ignoring you as if you’re not even there can’t help things. Again, politeness isn’t exactly going to help their situation, but it’s got to be better than being ignored by people who clearly know you’re there but choose to pretend you’re not.

I think it makes a lot of folk uncomfortable, so they try to ignore the issue.

1 hour ago, smpar said:

In what way is it polite to tell someone that you 'don't have change' when you quite clearly do? 

I suspect that you're impressing absolutely no-one with this faux concern for their wellbeing while keeping your crisp fiver firmly in your wallet regardless. You're simply lying to them by another means. 

On 18/09/2020 at 10:35, Academically Deficient said:

Also,  when European broadcasters or clubs refer to either of the Old Firm as just "Glasgow".

Must be annoying.😆

In Germany it‘s Glasgow Rangers & Celtic Glasgow which tend to get used.

Have also heard people refer to Arsenal as London or London Arsenal.

Team names like Celtic, Hibernian, Queens Park, Albion Rovers etc. don‘t have a clear geographical Indication in their name as to where they are from, which I think is the reason for teams being ‚renamed‘.

6 minutes ago, German Jag said:

In Germany it‘s Glasgow Rangers & Celtic Glasgow which tend to get used.

Have also heard people refer to Arsenal as London or London Arsenal.

Team names like Celtic, Hibernian, Queens Park, Albion Rovers etc. don‘t have a clear geographical Indication in their name as to where they are from, which I think is the reason for teams being ‚renamed‘.

Is that like us saying Gelsenkirchen Schalke 04?