Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

7 hours ago, zidane's child said:

Setting the timer on my oven seems to trip the electricity in the whole flat. Third time to the fuse box today...

Does it trip when the oven actually comes on/fires up? New heat element needed. If it’s just when you’re fiddling with the clock that’s maybe more serious. Don’t have nightmares!

22 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I'd been taught by a Welsh dwelling family member that the LL sound applied more when it appeared in the middle of a name.

Say for example Llangollen - would be pronounced with a harder C at the start - something like Clangochen. But there's every chance they were talking shite.

Is Ebbw Vale pronounced Ebba Vale and is Cardigan 'Cardeekan'?

How do they pronounce dwelling?

12 hours ago, zidane's child said:

Setting the timer on my oven seems to trip the electricity in the whole flat. Third time to the fuse box today...

Your ovens heat element is fecked, costs about 80 quid to replace it. Had the same issue earlier this year whenever I tried to set it above 170 degrees.

Edited by Perkin Flump
heat element as mentioned, not thermometer.

6 minutes ago, throbber said:

I ordered a rather unique item off amazon for £7 last night and got an email today saying it had been dispatched and would arrive on 16 th October - is it being taken to Edinburgh by horseback from East Asia?

throbbs, you know the t&c's of Wish before you order. Stop fobbing us off with this amazon nonsense.

23 hours ago, coprolite said:

W is halfway between oo and uh, so it's ebbouh vale. Not sure Cardigan is Welsh, i think it might be English. 

Kerry dig ee on (Ceredigion). When I first moved to Mid Wales people were astonished that I could easily pronounce place names but our hard ch sound is identical to the ll you encounter in the Gogg, Machynlleth or Llangollen is easy for us to pronounce whereas an English person living in Shropshire haven't a hope in hell of saying it properly even though they are just across the border.