Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

My understanding (I was told this by an Irishman) is that it’s Irish Gay-lic and Scottish Gah-lic.

Edit - The Moray/Moray Firth gets on my tits too. It’s pronounced Murray ffs.

Edited by TheScarf

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Leachkin in Inverness, pronounced "Larkin".

Back in 2005-2006 I built some of the house on ‘Leach-kin Brae’ as the site foreman kept pronouncing.

7 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

The place is pronounced 'Strawn' - but by the same folk who manage to pronounce 'Tough' as 'Tooch' and 'Garioch' as 'Gayray'.

Yeah - I know that's how you pronounce the place but it's weird with the surname that folk pronounce it different ways. 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

My understanding (I was told this by an Irishman) is that it’s Irish Gay-lic and Scottish Gah-lic.

It's complicated.

The standard pronunciation of Scottish Gaelic in Scottish Gaelic today is Gah-lik but Gay-lik was what was used in Argyll and Islay - huge numbers of whom moved to Glasgow so it's natural for lowlanders to pick up on this.

Gah-lik/Gay-lik has always been interchangeable amongst English speakers. AFAIC English speakers aren't under any more obligation  to say Gah-lik  any more than they are to call German Deutsch.

It's more common in Ireland to say Gay-lik when speaking English but it would be Gwayl-ge in Irish.

TLDR

Say what you want. No Gaels care.

Re Mallaig it's Mal-like in Gaelic with emphasis on the first syllable but again, if people are speaking English they aren't obliged to use the Gaelic form of the word unless they are going about saying Leòdhas, an Eilean Sgitheanach,  An Gearasdan and An t-Oban 

Edited by invergowrie arab

46 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

It's the Menzies/Meengis/Mingus debate I suppose.

Or Petrie/Peetray.

Yassssss more old language/place name chat.

Scots used to have a letter called a yogh https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogh which had a sort of yuh sound and looked like a 3 with the tail below the line.

When standard printing presses came in they didn't have yoghs so printers used a Z which didn't otherwise exist on Scots 

So Dal3iel, Men3ies Cul3ean etc would have been Dalyell, Menyies, Culyean  etc

10 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Yassssss more old language/place name chat.

Scots used to have a letter called a yogh https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogh which had a sort of yuh sound and looked like a 3 with the tail below the line.

When standard printing presses came in they didn't have yoghs so printers used a Z which didn't otherwise exist on Scots 

So Dal3iel, Men3ies Cul3ean etc would have been Dalyell, Menyies, Culyean  etc

The ancient name for Hamilton (before the Duke did the family's traditional thing and changed sides to get the town as a reward) was Cadzow.

Pronounced something like Cadjah.

15 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Very simple answer here:  An R is absent from Peugeot because Peugeot is not pronounced with an R.

Basically, if you've been saying Per-Jo then everybody has probably been laughing at you behind your back.

Eta:  on similar grounds, people who think they're being clever by pronouncing Llandudno with a hard K (i.e. most of it's English residents) rather than with the correct 'THL' at the start.

... and Scots that consistently refer to Scottish Gaelic as 'Gay-lick', Mallaig as 'mah-lay-g' instead of 'Mah-lig' and Moray as 'Moh-ray' instead of 'Murray'.  Understandable if folk get it wrong the first time, but it grinds my gears when folk persist with the wrong pronunciation after being informed of their faux pas by others.  Then at the other end of the spectrum, we have the Limmy-type 'Kabul' brigade.

I never knew that Mallaig wasn't mah-lay-g. 

I have however managed to avoid any faux pas through never having had to refer to the place. 

The Welsh can get unreasonably angry about their place names. "thl" is a better approximation on the "ll" sound than "k" but it would annoy some of the more arsey nats. 

I thought i was going to be killed in the darkest valleys for asking for directions to innis doo (actually ynys dhu). Proper you ain't from round here stare and a slow menacing "you mean oonoos thee?" 

18 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The Welsh can get unreasonably angry about their place names. "thl" is a better approximation on the "ll" sound than "k" but it would annoy some of the more arsey nats. 

No more than we get annoyed by English tv presenters referring to Lock Lomond. The "ll" should be aspirated to the sides of the tongue, bit like a very soft Scottish "ch". "thl" is much better than just "L" though.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No more than we get annoyed by English tv presenters referring to Lock Lomond. The "ll" should be aspirated to the sides of the tongue, bit like a very soft Scottish "ch". "thl" is much better than just "L" though.

To be fair, most people don't really give a shit and appreciate a bit of effort even if it isn't 100%.

I don't know what the welsh equivalent of a Macglashan is, but it's mainly them that get exercised about it.