Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Yellow, red and black. 

Stopped posting on that site many years ago. Haven't read it in years (until that link above, which very quickly confirmed why).

I was always more of a lurker. Never really got into the spirit of the place. Met some amusing "IRL" posters over the years though. Do find it odd though that that person is still linked to the club. Don't they do stuff like the tech for broadcasts and for the season tickets? 

Yellow, red and black. 
Stopped posting on that site many years ago. Haven't read it in years (until that link above, which very quickly confirmed why).
Only decent mod was Peter.

Highlights for me was seeing them abuse the woman who raised thousands from her shop depsite going through cancer treatment.
Jason editing posts to provoke me and naming me then getting banned all because I made a detailed and thought out post worried about finances under masterton.
Hopefully Brian learned his lesson when hundreds of folk booed him when he missed a penalty at half time.
I dont think they were that bad but let the power trip cloud their judgement.

On 15/09/2020 at 16:44, Hedgecutter said:

Menus which have a 'meat' section and then a separate 'fish' section.  

Fish is meat and no amount of dancing around the subject simply to fit in with people's choosy dietary beliefs is going to change that.

19 hours ago, virginton said:

Your beige man yelling at a cloud act was premised on the idea that fish was only now being treated as 'not meat' because of dietary fads. That is quite clearly not the case and I'm really not sure why this straightforward fact has provoked a blubbering meltdown tbqhwy.

No it wasn't.  You've just thrown two and two together to make five and a complete arse of yourself.

As for blubbering meltdowns...

VT:  "Fish isn't been considered meat for abstention purposes since the Middle Ages"

tenor.gif

image.gif

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Where is the "R" in Peugeot, the pronunciation "Pergeot" genuinely infuriates me.

Very simple answer here:  An R is absent from Peugeot because Peugeot is not pronounced with an R.

Basically, if you've been saying Per-Jo then everybody has probably been laughing at you behind your back.

Eta:  on similar grounds, people who think they're being clever by pronouncing Llandudno with a hard K (i.e. most of it's English residents) rather than with the correct 'THL' at the start.

... and Scots that consistently refer to Scottish Gaelic as 'Gay-lick', Mallaig as 'mah-lay-g' instead of 'Mah-lig' and Moray as 'Moh-ray' instead of 'Murray'.  Understandable if folk get it wrong the first time, but it grinds my gears when folk persist with the wrong pronunciation after being informed of their faux pas by others.  Then at the other end of the spectrum, we have the Limmy-type 'Kabul' brigade.

Edited by Hedgecutter

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

"3 BAME female lesbian"

It's the female lesbians I can't stand...the other ones are alright, they keep themselves to themselves. But the female ones...

In the Clutha Bar in Glasgow before it became a tourist hang out, two of them there female lesbians came in and made a big show of winching the faces off each other. Given they were both wids, I found it very arousing 

Very simple answer here:  An R is absent from Peugeot because Peugeot is not pronounced with an R.
Basically, if you've been saying Per-Jo then everybody has probably been laughing at you behind your back.
Eta:  on similar grounds, people who think they're being clever by pronouncing Llandudno with a hard K (i.e. most of it's English residents) rather than with the correct 'THL' at the start.
... and Scots that consistently refer to Scottish Gaelic as 'Gay-lick', Mallaig as 'mah-lay-g' instead of 'Mah-lig' and Moray as 'Moh-ray' instead of 'Murray'.  Understandable if folk get it wrong the first time, but it grinds my gears when folk persist with the wrong pronunciation after being informed of their faux pas by others.  Then at the other end of the spectrum, we have the Limmy-type 'Kabul' brigade.

There’s something weird about place names in different languages.

sometimes we’re expected to attempt the other languages pronunciation even when we’re speaking our own and sometimes we’re not.

We don’t pronounce Paris as Paree we don’t say Firenze, Praha, Sevilla or München and all the foreign languages I’ve encountered have a different word for “Edinburgh”

I suspect that this may be dependent on the status of the language and the status of the place but I don’t know.

Is there a geolinguist who could throw light in this.

21 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

We don’t pronounce Paris as Paree

True, although it takes a certain degree of brazenness for somebody foreign to randomly start adding an 'R' and then give the French a hard time for not originally having one in there.

Of the list you give, Paris is the most interesting one for me as it's exactly the same spelling as our version, yet we've decided to pronounce it differently.  An educated guess would suggest that it's difficult to say 'Paree' within a free-flowing sentence (spoken in a Scottish accent) without sounding like a complete muppet.  

Eta:  should also throw in the types that must adopt a full-blown French accent whenever they say anything French.  Never tried it myself, but I can't imagine that adopting a Chinese accent whilst putting in your Chinese takeaway order would end well.

Edited by Hedgecutter

True, although it takes a certain degree of brazenness for somebody foreign to randomly start adding an 'R' and then give the French a hard time for not originally having one in there.
Of the list you give, Paris is the most interesting one for me as it's exactly the same spelling as our version, yet we've decided to pronounce it differently.  An educated guess would suggest that it's difficult to say 'Paree' within a free-flowing sentence (spoken in a Scottish accent) without sounding like a complete muppet.  
Eta:  should also throw in the types that must adopt a full-blown French accent whenever they say anything French.
I definitely wasn't giving the French a hard time for not having an R, more having a go at the people that butcher the word every time they say it.

10 minutes ago, Empty It said:

I definitely wasn't giving the French a hard time for not having an R, more having a go at the people that butcher the word every time they say it.

Ah, fair enough.

In that case, even though it's probably been said a million times on here, the 'sangwich' brigade deserve a good beating.  Where's the G in sandwich?  Where?!

Edited by Hedgecutter
proof-read fail

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

... and Scots that consistently refer to Scottish Gaelic as 'Gay-lick', Mallaig as 'mah-lay-g' instead of 'Mah-lig' and Moray as 'Moh-ray' instead of 'Murray'.  Understandable if folk get it wrong the first time, but it grinds my gears when folk persist with the wrong pronunciation after being informed of their faux pas by others.  Then at the other end of the spectrum, we have the Limmy-type 'Kabul' brigade.

But I heard Inspector Clouseau suffered a beump in his Purrjo.

There’s something weird about place names in different languages.

sometimes we’re expected to attempt the other languages pronunciation even when we’re speaking our own and sometimes we’re not.

We don’t pronounce Paris as Paree we don’t say Firenze, Praha, Sevilla or München and all the foreign languages I’ve encountered have a different word for “Edinburgh”

I suspect that this may be dependent on the status of the language and the status of the place but I don’t know.

Is there a geolinguist who could throw light in this.

On a similar enough vain something that pisses me off to the end of the earth is football people - be it fans, commentators or whomever - who say things like Meelan, Barthalona, Saveeya and pronounce players names in some sort of faux Spanish/French/German/whatever.

Fucking melts.

34 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

On a similar enough vain something that pisses me off to the end of the earth is football people - be it fans, commentators or whomever - who say things like Meelan, Barthalona, Saveeya and pronounce players names in some sort of faux Spanish/French/German/whatever.

Fucking melts.

Sporting heehaw