Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

18 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Control panels with red lights instead of green as healthy/run lights, walk into a plantroom and think the whole building is fucked.

20230720_105631.jpg

That's Earth 838 for you! 

(i just felt my virginity grow back) 

48 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Control panels with red lights instead of green as healthy/run lights, walk into a plantroom and think the whole building is fucked.

20230720_105631.jpg

I had this recently with a new bit of equipment at work.

Turned it on for the first time and got a rapidly flashing red light. Checked manual, flashing red = ok, solid green = fault.

As if life isn't complicated enough.

On 19/07/2023 at 03:46, pozbaird said:

I have a different issue with a handful of family members and one friend who do something in texts / e-mails / Facebook Messenger that does my nut in. They do it all the time… does anyone else encounter this,  here’s an example…

Say you are trying to arrange a meet-up, and you text them saying something like ‘weather looks rubbish, so want to meet at Braehead or Silverburn maybe, whichever you fancy, grab a coffee?’. They reply ‘sounds great, see you there’.

You think ‘answer the fcuking simple question first cunto… Braehead or Silverburn, then we can move on to a time’.

Just me? I sometimes think about replying ‘aye, see you there’, and wait to see if they text back saying ‘see you where?’.

Solve by saying “see ya” and (if you want) driving/walking/biking to your choice of location (doesn’t have to be Braehead or Silverburn). Then, a few hours later, text “Where were you?” Proceed from there and they’ll either get it right next time or you’re shot of them.

7 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

I was thinking and maybe there is a flaw - but could supermarkets not give you a discount if you use self service

They already lose money when you use them. It's something like 3% of every transaction. I'm not sure they're even saving money by not having human workers now when you factor in power costs and expensive repairs.

The figures must add up though or they wouldn't do it.

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

They already lose money when you use them. It's something like 3% of every transaction. I'm not sure they're even saving money by not having human workers now when you factor in power costs and expensive repairs.

The figures must add up though or they wouldn't do it.

Labour is a far more expensive cost than electricity to run a self-scanning machine. It's quite obviously a cost-saving function - and one that is also more efficient for the customer than the other current favourite, of having 8 fucking tills but only one in operation because they don't want to staff the rest of them. 

If a shop has two staff in and one is on tills and one is doing anything else, the one on tills isn't always doing something. The one on tills can either go and do something else and go to tills when they have to, or they can be done away with altogether.

On 19/07/2023 at 09:57, pozbaird said:

Been there. Guaranteed the reply to that is ‘Was there last week, fancy somewhere else?’. 😎

Edit - I am related to some people who seemingly can read OK, but cannot reply to the actual question being asked. In any situation.

My tip is don't communicate with family members out with funerals, then a polite nod is all that's needed. Shop online or supermarkets where you're less likely to bump into someone you know.

For the last 2 weeks or so, nearly every night while sitting down after tea I've heard an alarm go off which is identical to my car alarm. The first few times I went to the doorstep to make sure it wasn't mine, then I started getting annoyed that whoever it belonged to wasn't doing anything about it.

Tonight it finally clicked - it's on the fucking Cornetto advert on the telly. Minter for me.

40 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Adverts on YouTube are bad enough but the last few days I’ve had Royal Mail advertising Christmas deliveries.

Are they that fcuked as an organisation that they need to advertise in July?

Yeah, cos you need to post it now to guarantee delivery.

I occasionally shop at "The Range" when I'm driving out of Edinburgh.

Seems to me that even though there are no self service tills the staff would rather drink their own wee than staff the checkouts. It's particularly annoying as there an in store "Greggs" so you get folk buying a loaf and a carton of milk with one checkout open for a store that sells cards, furniture, garden stuff, household consumables and all sorts.

The most important part of a shop is the speed that the customers can get out of it once they've chosen their purchases but sometimes it's almost like being held hostage.

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

14 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Seems to me that even though there are no self service tills the staff would rather drink their own wee than staff the checkouts. It's particularly annoying as there an in store "Greggs" so you get folk buying a loaf and a carton of milk with one checkout open for a store that sells cards, furniture, garden stuff, household consumables and all sorts.

The most important part of a shop is the speed that the customers can get out of it once they've chosen their purchases but sometimes it's almost like being held hostage.

"Are we hostages? 

" No don't be ridiculous"

"Oh good. Can we decide to leave then?" 

"No!"

Are you suffering from Brian Keenan Syndrome?

4 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

"Are we hostages? 

" No don't be ridiculous"

"Oh good. Can we decide to leave then?" 

"No!"

Are you suffering from Brian Keenan Syndrome?

No. Just pissed off by rank customer service. I'd actually like to have automatic checkouts there because the staff appear to treat customers as an inconvenience. 😐

27 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Their homebrew section has gone to pot as well 

9 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

No. Just pissed off by rank customer service. I'd actually like to have automatic checkouts there because the staff appear to treat customers as an inconvenience. 😐

Always use the self checkouts where possible as it saves any risk of potential conversation although I was in Aldi the other day and the son of the person in front had an Aberdeen top on and the checkout guy was an Aberdeen supporter as well so had a brief chat about the new top as I think both are really good and how I went to see the Hibs Aberdeen game last year when Goodwin got punted and how they have a pretty impressive away support.  Had there not been evidence this guy was a football man then the checkout process would have proceeded in silence apart from the response of No to do you want a receipt.