Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Last week, I told Scott that we would go and see Oppenheimer. I had today pencilled in for this.

On Saturday, the wife (after a couple of glasses of wine) said it would be great of all 4 of us went to see Barbie instead. My daughter didn't fancy Oppenheimer and isn't all that keen on Barbie, but she went along with it on the promise of a big bag of popcorn and a slush. 

No worries. I told Scott we'd see Oppenheimer next week instead, and the wife booked the tickets. I could endure Barbie, I thought, as it was a family night out.

This morning... "I really don't fancy the cinema tonight. Why don't you just take the kids?"

So a 43 year old guy, his 18 year old son and 13 year old daughter - none of whom actually chose this movie - will be going. 

Just hope it turns out to be a pleasant surprise...

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Last week, I told Scott that we would go and see Oppenheimer. I had today pencilled in for this.

On Saturday, the wife (after a couple of glasses of wine) said it would be great of all 4 of us went to see Barbie instead. My daughter didn't fancy Oppenheimer and isn't all that keen on Barbie, but she went along with it on the promise of a big bag of popcorn and a slush. 

No worries. I told Scott we'd see Oppenheimer next week instead, and the wife booked the tickets. I could endure Barbie, I thought, as it was a family night out.

This morning... "I really don't fancy the cinema tonight. Why don't you just take the kids?"

So a 43 year old guy, his 18 year old son and 13 year old daughter - none of whom actually chose this movie - will be going. 

Countless weekends away and now making arrangements to get everybody out of the house...there's only 1 person getting a pleasant surprise here and it probably isn't you! 

13 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

My friend and her daughter went yesterday. It's shite. 

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Barbie is great tbf

21 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Could have been worse. The kids might have bailed as well and it wouldn't look good if you went on your own.

43 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Does that mean you’ve got a spare ticket going? 

49 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

In this situation, I would have been lacing up my 'pie-booting' boots before she'd finished her sentence. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

This is right up there with ine of the highest class "You'll dae as yer telt" passive aggressive moves I've ever seen.

Near podium finish, I reckon.

4 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

This is right up there with ine of the highest class "You'll dae as yer telt" passive aggressive moves I've ever seen.

Near podium finish, I reckon.

It's more just a case that she was pished on Saturday.

She ordered a Lego grand piano (£270!!) the same night, and it arrived on Sunday. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Virtually every time I book tickets in advance, I can't go for some reason, so I gave up trying. I'd rather take the risk of it being sold out, as that's only happened to me once in I-don't-know-when (few days ago with The Meg 2, of all fucking films, which was no great loss).

Last Hallowe'en, I booked myself in to watch The Greatest Film of All-Time, John Carpenter's The Thing, in the cinema for the first time ever, only for someone to have the nerve, the cheek, the gall, the absolute brass neck to die and require me to travel across the country for their funeral. Still struggling to absorb the selfishness of that.

Washed my bedding yesterday and it's come out of the machine covered in some fairly large (and deep) purple ink stains. They weren't there before the wash, and there's no trace of anything that could've been responsible (purple pen being the obvious culprit).

WTF is that all about?

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

She ordered a Lego grand piano (£270!!) the same night, and it arrived on Sunday. 

Is this for real?

You can buy a half decent Casio electronic keyboard with lessons for £180.

https://www.costco.co.uk/TVs-Electronics-Security/Musical-Instruments/Pianos-Keyboards/Casio-CT-S410AD-Portable-Keyboard-with-Touch-Response-in-Black/p/405987

On 06/08/2023 at 22:53, DA Baracus said:

My GP is usually pretty good but can often be a pain to get an appointment since they too have moved to the pish model of having to phone at 08.00 to try and get an appointment for that day. If you aren't fortunate enough to get through then tough fucking luck, try again tomorrow.

There have been occasions where I've tried calling literally over 100 times and kept getting the engaged tone. There's times when I've finally gotten through only to be told there are no appointments left and phone back tomorrow. You can even book an appointment for any time in the future, it's either that day or nothing.

Last week though I had a really good experience. Called up and got through to the queue right away (I started at number 22 in the queue). By the time one of the receptionists spoke to me she told me they only had phone appointments available (basically the GP calls you back whenever they have time, which could be any time that day).

I got a call back later that morning but the GP had gotten one of the medical students on placement to do it. Thankfully she was quite good and relayed everything to the GP, after which I was told they'd call back in a bit. The student called me back a few minuted later to say I was to in that afternoon.

I went along thar afternoon and the practice nurse saw me within a couple of minutes. She did and ECG, took my blood pressure and took three vials of blood. Then the GP saw me. He read the ECG printout (it was fine thankfully, as was the blood pressure) then used the old stethoscope. He seemed fine with what he heard but recommended I get a chest x-ray just to be sure of things. He said I could fire up the road to King's Cross hospital as they do walk ins for x-rays now. So I fired up (10 minute walk) and had been sitting in the waiting room for about 30 seconds when they called me. Took about 60 seconds to do the x-ray and that was me done. All very efficient, save for the result which I have to wait about 10 days for they said.

If it's anything serious they'll get back to you a lot quicker than that.

I had a x-ray one morning - "Results in a week, Mr Jacksgranda" - got a phone call from my doctor that evening, "Nothing to worry about, but..." Aye right.

Turned out it was nothing to worry about, but they were just makking siccar.

25 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

We've all been there.

(The ill-advised online purchase, not your wife). 

20 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

If it's anything serious they'll get back to you a lot quicker than that.

I had a x-ray one morning - "Results in a week, Mr Jacksgranda" - got a phone call from my doctor that evening, "Nothing to worry about, but..." Aye right.

Turned out it was nothing to worry about, but they were just makking siccar.

Not heard anything back so will take that as a good sign!

23 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Where's the fun in that? 

33 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Again, things could have been worse.

Collie.JPG

2 hours ago, BTFD said:

Washed my bedding yesterday and it's come out of the machine covered in some fairly large (and deep) purple ink stains. They weren't there before the wash, and there's no trace of anything that could've been responsible (purple pen being the obvious culprit).

WTF is that all about?

Had a machine years ago that used to do this randomly to light coloured cotton fabrics, most often bed sheets, and never ever got to the bottom of it either.