Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

4 people in the photo, 2 pints.  My guess is he's stolen the bloke behind's.  

2 beer mats as well and only 1 in used. Lib Dems should be cancelled for such behaviour.

image.png.9ad2ce4000754554b75d16094dd35d6f.png

I personally found his music shit when I was forced to listen to it in public places so as a frequent ChatGPT user I'm glad to be making the world a better place.

Also when it comes to people in the arts going on strike, I find it hard to take it as seriously as when say nurses or bus drivers do the same. There's already a deluge of entertainment content available.

Finally AI can do some great things but I've found that it generally doesn't always make the right calls. This might be outdated soon enough but I don't think artists and creative types have too much to fear.

And finally finally, what serious limits can actually be placed on AI? Who's going to do it, how will it be enforced? I don't really think it can be, at-least on consumer level AI like ChatGPT. 

5 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

image.png.9ad2ce4000754554b75d16094dd35d6f.png

I personally found his music shit when I was forced to listen to it in public places so as a frequent ChatGPT user I'm glad to be making the world a better place.

Also when it comes to people in the arts going on strike, I find it hard to take it as seriously as when say nurses or bus drivers do the same. There's already a deluge of entertainment content available.

Finally AI can do some great things but I've found that it generally doesn't always make the right calls. This might be outdated soon enough but I don't think artists and creative types have too much to fear.

And finally finally, what serious limits can actually be placed on AI? Who's going to do it, how will it be enforced? I don't really think it can be, at-least on consumer level AI like ChatGPT. 

The impact on the lives of ordinary people of a Hozier strike would be terrible. 

13 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Exactly.

What actually sparked my original post was a guy in one of my Zoom meetings today, who said “You’ll have to forgive me I have the football on in the corner” but with an smug grin and an air of ‘check me out, watching the women’s World Cup’ about him.

I don’t know why he thinks it’s ok in a fairly important meeting to admit to watching the football (You at least pretend you are fully concentrating on the meeting) but it was just mad as I’ve heard him say before he wasn’t into football.

I think I told this one before, but during the 2002 world cup I was at a conference in England. Fairly small thing held at Keele Uni. 

Anyway, England were due to play Brazil at something like 9 in the morning. The day before, the professor who was due to give a talk then told the committee he wouldn't do it as he planned to watch the game. After a bit of discussion, it was agreed that the lecture theatre would show the game, then right after it he would give his lecture. So we all piled in first thing in the morning, hungover as usual, to watch it. 

Luckily I had a yellow shirt. I was sat with the Scottish contingent. It was so good when Ronaldinho scored that goal, and this hush descended over the place. All the talk was "whoever wins this match wins the world cup" and they just got utterly done. Delicious. Brings a smile to my face even now.

ronaldinho-free-kick-england.gif

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I think I told this one before, but during the 2002 world cup I was at a conference in England. Fairly small thing held at Keele Uni. 

Anyway, England were due to play Brazil at something like 9 in the morning. The day before, the professor who was due to give a talk then told the committee he wouldn't do it as he planned to watch the game. After a bit of discussion, it was agreed that the lecture theatre would show the game, then right after it he would give his lecture. So we all piled in first thing in the morning, hungover as usual, to watch it. 

Luckily I had a yellow shirt. I was sat with the Scottish contingent. It was so good when Ronaldinho scored that goal, and this hush descended over the place. All the talk was "whoever wins this match wins the world cup" and they just got utterly done. Delicious. Brings a smile to my face even now.

Greenie for the video.

3 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Greenie for the video.

20-odd years on and it's still a wonderful strike. A few days later my dad told me this joke:

Why is Ronaldinho the best lover in the world?

Because he can lob Seaman from 30 yards. 

25 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I remember that - it was the first day of my holidays. Life didn't get any sweeter than that.

1 hour ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

It has to be the government and enforcement through massive fines is probably the likely way to control the sector. Massive risk is slowing down the useful applications whilst trying to cut down on the nonsense uses.

I don't really see a useful application for a chat based AI that is predicting the next word.

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

It has to be the government and enforcement through massive fines is probably the likely way to control the sector. Massive risk is slowing down the useful applications whilst trying to cut down on the nonsense uses.

I don't really see a useful application for a chat based AI that is predicting the next word.

I think government control could be possible but only with all the influential countries signing up to it, which seems unlikely. 

In terms of useful applications for a chat based AI I personally use it in software development at a fairly low level. It's a quick way to get answers to simple questions regarding syntax and can help provide idea, but again it's nothing to be overly reliant on as it can overcomplicate simple problems, much in the same way a human can really. 

I've tried using it for stuff like covering letters but it's utterly dreadful for that, it comes out with an adjective laden boastful American style which to my mind looks robotic, regardless of whether it was written by a human or a robot. That said it's all based on prompts but if you're putting so much effort into writing a prompt that can get a better answer out of it then you're better off doing the work yourself I find. 

16 minutes ago, 101 said:

The problem with governments regulating it is, the regulations will apply to everyone except them.

You or I couldn't use AI for potentially nefarious purposes, meanwhile shadowy government agencies are plotting ways to use it as a mass-casualty weapon to stay ahead of geopolitical rivals.

16 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

I think government control could be possible but only with all the influential countries signing up to it, which seems unlikely

7 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

The problem with governments regulating it is, the regulations will apply to everyone except them

It's why things like the EU are a good idea. Alignment across many countries is to be welcomed also helps share experience and benefits.

However when you can't get China to the table and they are already using it for illegitimate purposes then it's probably pointless but worth trying to isolate them.

18 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

In terms of useful applications for a chat based AI I personally use it in software development at a fairly low level. It's a quick way to get answers to simple questions regarding syntax and can help provide idea, but again it's nothing to be overly reliant on as it can overcomplicate simple problems, much in the same way a human can really. 

I've tried using it for stuff like covering letters but it's utterly dreadful for that, it comes out with an adjective laden boastful American style which to my mind looks robotic, regardless of whether it was written by a human or a robot. That said it's all based on prompts but if you're putting so much effort into writing a prompt that can get a better answer out of it then you're better off doing the work yourself I find. 

Software and IT based uses makes sense as at the start the learning it will have been doing will have been from really techy people who were looking to automate or simplify common problems.

But like you say writing basic English is beyond it for now therefore I don't see it replacing musicians or creatives more generally in the medium term. 

I do think almost every Marvel creation may as well be AI generated from script through to post production, it requires almost no creativity and are generally awful therefore you could just maximise profit by increasing the churn out of nonsense "films"

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

20-odd years on and it's still a wonderful strike. A few days later my dad told me this joke:

Why is Ronaldinho the best lover in the world?

Because he can lob Seaman from 30 yards. 

Well he was a few years too late to the party with that joke because Nayim was the original and he did it from nearer 50