Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Radio adverts. I know they're actually designed to annoy and therefore be memorable, but the ginsters one that's on the now does my napper in. 

Much worse than that though, is the Octopus Energy advert. The one with the apparently genuine customer service call where some guy is absolutely, and IMO bizarrely, gushing with wildly disproportionate praise for the company who he pays in order to be allowed to have gas and power. 

In Tesco cafe in Inverurie. There's a man at a nearby table, with his wife. He is eating chips and chewing with his mouth open. I would like to shoot this man in the face.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Radio adverts. I know they're actually designed to annoy and therefore be memorable, but the ginsters one that's on the now does my napper in. 

Much worse than that though, is the Octopus Energy advert. The one with the apparently genuine customer service call where some guy is absolutely, and IMO bizarrely, gushing with wildly disproportionate praise for the company who he pays in order to be allowed to have gas and power. 

Enjoy it. We’re currently being bombarded with 3-5 30 second commercials in EVERY break for various politicians running for office. For now it’s the amusing vision of hordes of Republicans bashing each other before the March 5th Primary. Then we’ll get the Republican survivors attacking the Democratic candidates, and vice versa, until May 4th. At least after March 5th the commercials will drop off to 1-2 per break.

Me getting older and less patient for shite or people in power abusing it.

I've just left a restaurant where I was the only diner and the young waitress was having a chat with me and head bozo comes out and basically pulls her away. Then decides he wants to come and chat with me (the thing I heard him have a go at her about). He gets rubbered and storms off. He's back two minutes later where I decide to give him a chance - he then begins to pester every few minutes and gets asked to let me try the untouched plate before asking if it's any good. 

I shit you not he opens a cupboard door and peeks through the hinge side at me eat then asks if the foods okay. I burst out laughing and asked for a napkin.

He then goes and has a go at the waitress for not having g my room number. She does, she says 519 he tells her to go make sure so I shout 519. She smiles and says thank you. He storms off. I'm around a corner remember!

I finish my pasta - which I eat with the only spoon - he notices this on one of his 5000 walks past my table and goes to have a go at her again. At this point my tattie goes. I politely inform him she's doing a fucking excellent job. Even more so under the constant pressure he's addi g to the situation. Tell him to calm the fück down or I will walk and most importantly she probably will quit the first chance she gets. He starts mumbling about a dessert spoon and I just pick it out the bowl and say "this one? The one I just used to eat pasta with because I refuse to chase penne pasta around a bowl with mince using a fork?"

Again, we are half a restaurant apart. He's peeking round this corner. She somehow felt the need to apologise for me using the spoon, I told her it's not necessary gave her her tip and told her I'm sorry she has to work with such an idiot. 

It was all made worthwhile when after finishing the dessert I got up to leave and turned to look at her an it was a genuine smile and thank you she lipped.

I am now in my hotel room fuming I never banjoe'd the arsehole.

That was a wild ride reading that. 

While obviously banjoing the fella would have been cathartic, it sounds like you did the right thing in standing up for the waitress. 

The boy sounds like a bully though so if I were you I'd be making a complaint to the head office about his conduct. That sort of behaviour doesn't sound out of the ordinary for him and they'd be less inclined to sweep it under the rug if it comes from a guest.

33 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I've just left a restaurant where I was the only diner and the young waitress was having a chat with me and head bozo comes out and basically pulls her away. Then decides he wants to come and chat with me (the thing I heard him have a go at her about). He gets rubbered and storms off. He's back two minutes later where I decide to give him a chance - he then begins to pester every few minutes and gets asked to let me try the untouched plate before asking if it's any good. 

I shit you not he opens a cupboard door and peeks through the hinge side at me eat then asks if the foods okay. I burst out laughing and asked for a napkin.

He then goes and has a go at the waitress for not having g my room number. She does, she says 519 he tells her to go make sure so I shout 519. She smiles and says thank you. He storms off. I'm around a corner remember!

I finish my pasta - which I eat with the only spoon - he notices this on one of his 5000 walks past my table and goes to have a go at her again. At this point my tattie goes. I politely inform him she's doing a fucking excellent job. Even more so under the constant pressure he's addi g to the situation. Tell him to calm the fück down or I will walk and most importantly she probably will quit the first chance she gets. He starts mumbling about a dessert spoon and I just pick it out the bowl and say "this one? The one I just used to eat pasta with because I refuse to chase penne pasta around a bowl with mince using a fork?"

Again, we are half a restaurant apart. He's peeking round this corner. She somehow felt the need to apologise for me using the spoon, I told her it's not necessary gave her her tip and told her I'm sorry she has to work with such an idiot. 

It was all made worthwhile when after finishing the dessert I got up to leave and turned to look at her an it was a genuine smile and thank you she lipped.

She’ll be up chapping your door at shift end. 

Edited by Rugster

52 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Not sure if the manager will treat her any better after all that, maybe even a bit worse for a while if he's been shown up. It can be difficult with bully's in the workplace, often staff just have to end up leaving the job. At least for today you've supported her, so good on you.

Edited by 2426255

19 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Not sure if the manager will treat her any better after all that

I'm not sure hes the manager. This is the fourth time I've stayed here and the first time he (or she for that matter) have been here. They have a few hotels so it could be a case the live in workers get swapped season to season.

Edited by Derry Alli

7 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I'm not sure hes the manager. This is the fourth time I've stayed here and the first time he (or she for that matter) have been here. They have a few hotels so it could be a case the live in workers get swapped season to season.

Perhaps leave an online review documenting your experience. It might make management aware or future customers aware. It could also just make things worse for the staff member. It can be hard to take the correct approach in these situations even if it's obvious there's bullying going on. 

8 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

I've just left a restaurant where I was the only diner and the young waitress was having a chat with me...

I had a similar experience once, although I ended up having what felt like a date across the table with the waitress.  Far preferable to having her lingering around just for me.  Was a midweek effort and there was nobody else the entire time.

PTTGOYN for me though is when waiting staff insist on doing every little thing for you, e.g. pouring drinks with a hand behind their back, despite me saying they don't need to bother. I just find that whole servant thing a bit archaic and uncomfortable.

The nightclub toilet guys who evidently think you can't wash your hands on your own take the biscuit though.