Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

The most infuriating thing on our holiday to Bavaria happened today.

Just chilling next to the lake, I'm reading and the wife is sunbathing. 

Not 15 feet away some couple start playing some board game on a bench. 

What's the issue you ask? The sound of them rattling dice and rolling it from a cup had to the most horrible thing I've heard in ages. I wanted to ram them into their ear drums.

Nothing worse than a Bavarian Yahtzee Party. 

11 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Which begs the question, if it's not already connected to wi-fi or the internet, how does it know it needs a software upgrade?

If it can't find an internet connection, does it refuse to work?

I'm starting to feel like my father, perplexed at why modern cars have so much unnecessary technology.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

The most infuriating thing on our holiday to Bavaria happened today.

Just chilling next to the lake, I'm reading and the wife is sunbathing. 

Not 15 feet away some couple start playing some board game on a bench. 

What's the issue you ask? The sound of them rattling dice and rolling it from a cup had to the most horrible thing I've heard in ages. I wanted to ram them into their ear drums.

They can do what they want, you don't have a monopoly on the beach. 

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

If it can't find an internet connection, does it refuse to work?

I'm starting to feel like my father, perplexed at why modern cars have so much unnecessary technology.

I can understand cars having technology for safety features, fuel optimisation etc, but a fecking washing machine? We always use the 45 minute quick wash. Only very occasionally will we use a normal length wash. We don't need anything more complex than that.

Edited by Soapy FFC

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

I was listening to Audible yesterday and it suddenly decided that it needed to perform an upgrade. Shut itself down and did not resume playback when it restarted. I was in a position where I couldn't access my phone for a couple of hours. Livid.

How does the washing machine upgrade work? Do you have to connect it to your Wi-Fi or something?

It's connected to the wifi. There's an app for it. 

4 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Can you use it without the app? If so, I'd be tempted to disconnect it from the wi-fi so it doesn't know about updates until I want it to.

I've definitely entered the "losing track of technology" age. Only a matter of time until I'm asking the kid to configure the Bluetooth in my cardigan.

16 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

There are certain things I really can't see the benefit of 'having an app' for. Washing machines are one, kettles and toothbrushes are others. I can semi understand ovens, but I only ever think that when we've just bought a pizza from the supermarket and thinking it would be good to turn the oven on so it's warmed up by the time we get home. But even then it's only saving 5 or 10 minutes a few times a year.

Sometimes I think we just add technology to things for the sake of adding technology to things, so I'm with @BFTD on this one.

3 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

There are certain things I really can't see the benefit of 'having an app' for. Washing machines are one, kettles and toothbrushes are others. I can semi understand ovens, but I only ever think that when we've just bought a pizza from the supermarket and thinking it would be good to turn the oven on so it's warmed up by the time we get home. But even then it's only saving 5 or 10 minutes a few times a year.

Sometimes I think we just add technology to things for the sake of adding technology to things, so I'm with @BFTD on this one.

I'm slightly curious about the internet-enabled fridge thing that tells you when you need to order food. Not enough to actually look it up, obviously, but I can't visualise a useful way in which that would work with current technology. Surely you'd have to tell it what you were putting in and taking out? What a faff; you'd be as well just opening the door and taking a look.

Might be useful for massive fridges in busy restaurants, I guess.

Edit: you'll be able to play Doom on them, which makes almost anything worthwhile, I suppose.

Edited by BFTD

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

I'm slightly curious about the internet-enabled fridge thing that tells you when you need to order food. Not enough to actually look it up, obviously, but I can't visualise a useful way in which that would work with current technology. Surely you'd have to tell it what you were putting in and taking out? What a faff; you'd be as well just opening the door and taking a look.

I'm not against technology, but not when it's just for the sake of it. We have smart lighting throughout the house, with the lights in the hall, stairs and kitchen all working with motion sensors, and the living room light coming on automatically 30 minutes before sunset every day. It feels strange when I stay anywhere else and have to manually put the lights on.

9 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Edit: you'll be able to play Doom on them, which makes almost anything worthwhile, I suppose.

I am now putting in an incredibly long sausage.

Cumberland Sausage-Traditional

1 minute ago, Soapy FFC said:

I'm not against technology, but not when it's just for the sake of it. We have smart lighting throughout the house, with the lights in the hall, stairs and kitchen all working with motion sensors, and the living room light coming on automatically 30 minutes before sunset every day. It feels strange when I stay anywhere else and have to manually put the lights on.

My mum finds bright lights painful these days, so I got some of those smart bulbs for her place that let you change the brightness and colour via an app. You can go into disco mode and have the lights change colour in time to music. Surprisingly cool, so I got some for our place too. An hour before bedtime, I set them to a dim red glow, which seems to make me sleepy. The only annoying thing is that you have to use the app to change the colour/brightness back - shame there's no way of quickly resetting to defaults without having to go find my phone.

I'm suddenly very self-conscious that this is a very boring old man conversation. We'll be talking about our recent discovery of the new Playstations and rapping music soon.

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I am now putting in an incredibly long sausage.

Yeah, yeah. The ladies don't fall for it, and neither will we.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

My mum finds bright lights painful these days, so I got some of those smart bulbs for her place that let you change the brightness and colour via an app. You can go into disco mode and have the lights change colour in time to music. Surprisingly cool, so I got some for our place too. An hour before bedtime, I set them to a dim red glow, which seems to make me sleepy. The only annoying thing is that you have to use the app to change the colour/brightness back - shame there's no way of quickly resetting to defaults without having to go find my phone.

I've got smart switches for the various rooms, that I've fitted on face plates over the normal switches. You can do all the brightness/colour changes with them.

6 hours ago, Nightmare said:

English language annoyance incoming.

I’ve noticed recently that news/media types seem to be using the phrasing “an horrific event” instead of “a horrific event”. Why has it now been deemed that the article ‘an’ should be used there instead of the more logical ‘a’? It feels like this is a relatively recent phenomenon because I’ve never noticed it before, and it just sounds clumsy and awkward.

You don’t hear about “an hotel” or “an hospital” so I have no idea why this is now the go-to phrasing when referring to an incident as horrific.

(I did think of the word ‘honourable’ as a similar type of scenario where the article used is ‘an’ instead of ‘a’ - but that one makes sense because honour/honourable are pronounced with a silent H, whereas horrific/horrifying aren’t.)

Recent? No. I was taught at school 40 odd years ago to use "an" before certain words beginning with "h". Couldn't remember exactly why but a Google search says you use "an" when the "h" is silent. So a hotel, an honest man etc. 

52 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I'm suddenly very self-conscious that this is a very boring old man conversation. We'll be talking about our recent discovery of the new Playstations and rapping music soon.

Yeah, yeah. The ladies don't fall for it, and neither will we.

My brother nicked some coloured xmas tree bulbs off the xmas tree that was put on top of the chemist roof in Whitburn, i found them stashed in the bedroom and put a different coloured bulb in each night. Was only young at the time and didn't realize the significance of having a red light in our bedroom.