Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

The display devoted only to the Army in the waiting area of the jobcentre. Preying on the desperate.

Last time I was unemployed, you could always tell the Army jobs at the Jobcentre because they were the only ones that sounded decent, and they made absolutely no reference to the Armed Forces whatsoever.

The advisors didn't even bother mentioning it when you went up with your wee pile of printouts; they'd just chuck the Army ones straight in the bin :lol:

Last time I was unemployed, you could always tell the Army jobs at the Jobcentre because they were the only ones that sounded decent, and they made absolutely no reference to the Armed Forces whatsoever.

The advisors didn't even bother mentioning it when you went up with your wee pile of printouts; they'd just chuck the Army ones straight in the bin :lol:

What like? Keeper of Her Majesty's War Donkeys or Arrow Sharpener?

What like? Keeper of Her Majesty's War Donkeys or Arrow Sharpener?

Job titles like that might have given the game away a wee bit.

Frankly, I'd have applied for either of those jobs. Keeper of the War Donkeys? Minted :thumsup2

BigFatTabbyDave, on 10 Nov 2014 - 12:44, said:snapback.png

Around the time GW Bush invaded Iraq, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth over here from the numpties who'd joined the US Military for the promise of glamour and benefits but genuinely hadn't realised they might have to...you know...go to war and stuff.

Around the time GW Bush invaded Iraq, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth over here from the numpties who'd joined the US Military for the promise of glamour and benefits but genuinely hadn't realised they might have to...you know...go to war and stuff.

In fairness to them, it's the only route to higher education for a lot of folks. Met a lot of people who you'd never expect to have been in the armed forces in a million years, and they only were to try and avoid the minimum wage, zero healthcare nightmare (unsuccessfully, in some cases). That, and the recruiters go all out to minimise the potential chances of being involved in armed conflict. Silly, I know, but it's amazing what desperate folk will rationalise to themselves.

Not sure if this is widespread, but I've just seen BOGOF deals referred to as BOGO on a US website.

Hoping this isn't another 'could care less' style mistranslation by people who don't think about what they're saying. Buy One, Get One? Fucking cracking deal, that :rolleyes:

In fairness to them, it's the only route to higher education for a lot of folks. Met a lot of people who you'd never expect to have been in the armed forces in a million years, and they only were to try and avoid the minimum wage, zero healthcare nightmare (unsuccessfully, in some cases). That, and the recruiters go all out to minimise the potential chances of being involved in armed conflict. Silly, I know, but it's amazing what desperate folk will rationalise to themselves.

All true. That and the fact that for too many people the options are drugs, jail, drugs and jail or the military. I just find it funny-sad that there are people who joined something called "The army" and didn't realise what it is armies do.

ArmyAd04.jpg

Played 5s the night and 3 of the boys I ended up with in my team would have trouble trapping a wet bag of cement. Been overly raging about it for about 2 hours.

Was flailing my arms about and spraying high velocity profanities like an extra irate Michael Stewart.

I'm a dick.

Not sure if this is widespread, but I've just seen BOGOF deals referred to as BOGO on a US website.

Hoping this isn't another 'could care less' style mistranslation by people who don't think about what they're saying. Buy One, Get One? Fucking cracking deal, that :rolleyes:

It's to cover both BOGOF and BOGO half-price, type deals