Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I have started going to stop smoking classes. Quite fancy kicking the habit once and for all. I'm quite ready to start right now. However, I am not supposed to quit smoking until our designated date of the 17th of September. I'm ready to quit smoking right now, what happens if I don't want to quit on the 17th? I asked about stopping right away but apparently you are more likely to quit as part of a group.

What a lot of tosh.

It's all a load of pish.

You're a stubborn wee bastard, so just bin the fags and get on with it. You will obviously feel cravings, but willpower is all you need.

My next door neighbour stopped smoking when she became pregnant with her first child (some 24 years ago). Every day she put the amount she'd be spending on fags in a glass jar in the kitchen so she'd see on a regualr basis and wrote 'for Derek' on the front of it.

Any time she fancied a fag she looked at the jar and saw all the money she was saving that would be going to her help her son. She's never touched a cigarette since.

Seeing as you're in a similar situation, why not give that a try?

Utter wankstains that don't know how to use a cash machine. There was some wideload and her mongo daughter at the cash machine on Tollcross Rd earlier. I counted five different cards being inserted. I normally get annoyed when people put more than one card in at one time, but I tend not to say anything. This one however, I couldn't let it lie.

The boy was in his pram crying and the retarded daughter turned round and looked at him, then turned back round to the cash machine and kept doing what she was doing. I then said, "Oh, don't worry, it's not like I'm in a hurry, you take your time, hen." To which, she takes another fucking card out of her purse.

Tweedle dee and tweedle dum must have been in front of me for five minutes. When they finally stepped away, I started clapping. They looked at me like I had fallen from the sky.

Oh no, it doesn't just end there. I had to go into the Coop for a paper and some baby food and would you believe it, the two of them were in front of me again! God must have been either really pissed off with me, or really bored as when it was their turn to be served, they pulled out a few Electricity keys and at least four Gas cards. What were they doing, topping up the whole block of flats they live in?

I was half tempted to give the mother my phone number and tell her to call me when she and her 42 stone daughter were going shopping in the future so I could leave the house five minutes before they do.

It's all a load of pish.

You're a stubborn wee b*****d, so just bin the fags and get on with it. You will obviously feel cravings, but willpower is all you need.

My next door neighbour stopped smoking when she became pregnant with her first child (some 24 years ago). Every day she put the amount she'd be spending on fags in a glass jar in the kitchen so she'd see on a regualr basis and wrote 'for Derek' on the front of it.

Any time she fancied a fag she looked at the jar and saw all the money she was saving that would be going to her help her son. She's never touched a cigarette since.

Seeing as you're in a similar situation, why not give that a try?

I've tried the cold turkey way before, and it just doesn't seem to work for me. I get really annoyed if I haven't had a cigarette in an hour or two, and end up snapping at people. Having not tried to stop since the wee man came along, I don't really want to try going cold turkey in case I snap at him, or his Mum when he is around.

It should be legal to clawhammer someone's face off if they take more than 45 seconds at a cash machine.

*If they explain they need to use several cards because they're going to the bookies then I'd let them off

Yep, I agree entirely. Not with your second point though, you should only use one card at a time.

I've timed myself at the cash machine before, and I have always been less than a minute from where I put my card in, to taking my money out.

I've tried the cold turkey way before, and it just doesn't seem to work for me. I get really annoyed if I haven't had a cigarette in an hour or two, and end up snapping at people. Having not tried to stop since the wee man came along, I don't really want to try going cold turkey in case I snap at him, or his Mum when he is around.

You'll probably be a right crabbit wee bugger regardless of which way you choose to quit (or even if you don't try and quit :ph34r: )

I think you should definitely give the money jar a try as it's a physical representation of your good work and a great incentive to keep it up.

See this Gerard Hastings bloke who wrote the BMA's journal about how all alcohol advertising is bad - I've had a look at the other journals he's published recently.

There's 23 of them, covering a multitude of topics.

Drinking is bad.

Smoking is VERY BAD.

Gambling is bad bad bad.

Obese children are so bad.

Drugs? Bad!

He sounds a right laugh. This is a PTTGOYN because he's from Stirling's Marketing department, where I'm spending (at least) the next three years.

he does seem to have a flair for never being wrong. tbf he must be quite clever if he got people to give him money to tell them those things.

Yep, I agree entirely. Not with your second point though, you should only use one card at a time.

I've timed myself at the cash machine before, and I have always been less than a minute from where I put my card in, to taking my money out.

I alsohate it when people want to do 2 things (eg, check balance and withdraw cash) and so check their balance, remove their card, then put it back in and go through the whole rigmarole again.

To be honest just about every 'petty nag' that I can think of is done soley by women. Maybe we should just cull them?

You'll probably be a right crabbit wee bugger regardless of which way you choose to quit (or even if you don't try and quit :ph34r: )

I think you should definitely give the money jar a try as it's a physical representation of your good work and a great incentive to keep it up.

The thing is, I really don't buy all that many packs of cigarettes here, I always get mine from people that have been abroad.

he does seem to have a flair for never being wrong. tbf he must be quite clever if he got people to give him money to tell them those things.

I'm sure Stirling is Britain's (possibly the world...) leading University when it comes to research into gambling. There are thousands and thousands of pounds on offer for anyone who wants to do a gambling-related PhD.

Regarding the jar for money saved off fags - it's a good idea i'd say, though it did prove my downfall. A couple of months ago I tried to give up smoking. I put away £2.80 a day for nearly three weeks and had a fair bit of cash saved up. I decided to treat myself to a night out, and of course, when I got pissed I ended up buying a packet of fags!

I'd recommend a jar you can't see through and tape the fucker up and don't open it until you want to book a holiday or something in six months time.

I think we had the cash machine chat in here a few weeks ago didn't we? I seem to remember saying about that bint who was their with her kid and after it complained she didn't let her press the buttons she put her card back in so it could have a go. She nearly got a boot up the c**t for that.

Where do I sign up?

Christ knows, that might actually be complete lies. I'm sure I read it on a poster when I was standing in line, extremely hungover, trying to get a replacement student card.

Also, I'd imagine you'd have to work with this Hastings fella, who seems like the worst human ever.

"Okay then, Fudge, let's get this research started."

"Erm, we can't. I gambled away all the funding."

Christ knows, that might actually be complete lies. I'm sure I read it on a poster when I was standing in line, extremely hungover, trying to get a replacement student card.

Also, I'd imagine you'd have to work with this Hastings fella, who seems like the worst human ever.

"Okay then, Fudge, let's get this research started."

"Erm, we can't. I gambled away all the funding."

I'd use the funding to get the SIS racing feed for my tv and sit on betfair all day laying horses in running. I'd then show him a printout of my betfair balance, do the 'suck it' gesture from the wrestling and expect a phd to be presented to me.

I win at life.

To be honest just about every 'petty nag' that I can think of is done soley by women. Maybe we should just cull them?

:lol:

In French just now, we've been handed a sheet which shows us the steps of how a guy and a girl uses a cash machine - ones in France anyway, where you can drive-thru. The guys has seven steps. The girls has twenty-three, I think.

I'd recommend a jar you can't see through and tape the fucker up and don't open it until you want to book a holiday or something in six months time.

My mums friend did that, he saved £400 or so pounds in a month or two, and bought a proper camera with it.

My nag, dead foxes. Dead fox near the school, and all the first and second years crowded around it, throwing bottles of water at it. Stupid people. Ended up walking over to it, and throwing one of the bottles that landed on it at the kid and told him to fuck off.

Almost managed to get my hands on a ticket for the Holland game tonight, but someone else who looked like bailing decided not to.

Ah well.

You could have had mine for £20. :lol: Couldn't be arsed.