Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I don't know what to get the wee one for Christmas, I've seen a couple of things in the price range I was thinking about but I reckon they may be novelty and end up taking up lots of space and not being used much.

Guest The Phoenix
I don't know what to get the wee one for Christmas, I've seen a couple of things in the price range I was thinking about but I reckon they may be novelty and end up taking up lots of space and not being used much.

Rolls Royce or Bentley?

Failing that, go for the cardboard box wrapped in Xmas Paper - works everytime.

Rolls Royce or Bentley?

Failing that, go for the cardboard box wrapped in Xmas Paper - works everytime.

I was thinking of a battery driven baby car thingy but I can't see how even if powered by batteries giving a 15 month old something (age 1-3 suitability) could

a)be safe

b.) not result in the dogs being run over!

Guest The Phoenix
I was thinking of a battery driven baby car thingy but I can't see how even if powered by batteries giving a 15 month old something (age 1-3 suitability) could

a)be safe

c) be anything but a complete waste of money.

a)be safe

My eldest two have both had those sorts of things. They actually don't go all that fast and you can easily keep up with them by walking alongside, although, despite the dogs being unlikely to come to any harm by him running into them, I can't see them appreciating it much! The biggest problem with them is that you do feel a pang of jealousy when you see them riding around, knowing that you're too big to have a shot yourself. :lol:

c) be anything but a complete waste of money.

Yup, I really want a bounce and spin Zebra but at £60 they are way over priced and there is an awful lot of them on ebay and the like leading me to think they may be a use a couple time toy.....but ebay may be my friend. I've no quams in buying second hand and giving it a thorough clean. That way if it isn't a hit I've not wasted £60 on it.

My eldest two have both had those sorts of things. They actually don't go all that fast and you can easily keep up with them by walking alongside, although, despite the dogs being unlikely to come to any harm by him running into them, I can't see them appreciating it much! The biggest problem with them is that you do feel a pang of jealousy when you see them riding around, knowing that you're too big to have a shot yourself. :lol:

Oh so many toys like that!

I remember I used to have two driveable cars when I was wee. One was my dad's old E-Type pedal car which he refurbished for me when I was 4, and the other was a kids-size yellow Jeep that the boys across the road got too big for. I remember being absolutely delighted when I turned six and my birthday present was a new battery for it, which was better than the old one as it held more charge and seemed to let the car go faster.

I don't think we have the Jeep any more. Shame really as I always enjoyed driving it. That said I was always really jealous of one of my mates at Auchtertool, because he had a brand new Jeep that was a wee bit bigger and went 3mph faster! :angry: His one even had a passenger seat which was actually big enough to take someone else.

I remember I used to have two driveable cars when I was wee. One was my dad's old E-Type pedal car which he refurbished for me when I was 4, and the other was a kids-size yellow Jeep that the boys across the road got too big for. I remember being absolutely delighted when I turned six and my birthday present was a new battery for it, which was better than the old one as it held more charge and seemed to let the car go faster.

I don't think we have the Jeep any more. Shame really as I always enjoyed driving it. That said I was always really jealous of one of my mates at Auchtertool, because he had a brand new Jeep that was a wee bit bigger and went 3mph faster! :angry:His one even had a passenger seat which was actually big enough to take someone else.

b*****d, eh?! :lol:

"So what's your top speed"

"4.5mph"

*Exhuberant runs home to mummy crying*

b*****d, eh?! :lol:

"So what's your top speed"

"4.5mph"

*Exuberant runs home to mummy crying*

:lol: I think we worked out that his one did about 6mph and mine did 3. Before I got the new battery, the reverse just didn't work at all but after the new batter it went as fast backwards as it used to go forwards. It was still no match for a mad dash in the E-Type though. 8):lol:

I was also the last one to get a console which really wasn't fair. I got a Sega Mega Drive second hand when they all had N64s and Playstations. You have no idea how demoralising that is.

Of course nothing ever changes except the scale. The difference now is that I get to drive my mum's Ford Ka as a second driver while some of them have brand new Ford Fiestas with private number plates!

:lol: I think we worked out that his one did about 6mph and mine did 3. Before I got the new battery, the reverse just didn't work at all but after the new batter it went as fast backwards as it used to go forwards. It was still no match for a mad dash in the E-Type though. 8):lol:

I was also the last one to get a console which really wasn't fair. I got a Sega Mega Drive second hand when they all had N64s and Playstations. You have no idea how demoralising that is.

Of course nothing ever changes except the scale. The difference now is that I get to drive my mum's Ford Ka as a second driver while some of them have brand new Ford Fiestas with private number plates!

The difference is then, you're not a spoilt brat getting everything handed to you on a plate. A lesson you'll be thankful for in time :)

The difference is then, you're not a spoilt brat getting everything handed to you on a plate. A lesson you'll be thankful for in time :)

I'm feeling in a particular nostalgic mood tonight. Feels like my childhood just disappeared so quickly and I'll never have that time again. :(

My son is teething. During the night he is fine. Sleeping from 11pm to about 7am some nights. During the day some days he can cry a fair bit. But we have been using stuff called Ashton and Parsons Infants Powders, work like a treat so far anyway. His screaming is bad though when not happy :(

Otherwise known as "baby crack" in parenting circles. Never tried it myself (Bonjela seems to do the trick for our wee man), but I know a lot of mothers that swear by it.

i went to see about a used car from a dealer in fife tonight. car is fine, test drive was fine and a few scratches here and there but nothing major. advertised for 3500 and in mind i was happy to pay 3k, so i started the chat at 2500. he just stood up and said ''nah mate that's an insult, this isn't the car for you. time to go''.

here's the car: http://www.z-carsales.co.uk/used_car_vauxh...tchback_169.htm

was i totally wrong? might phone him back tomorrow saying i don't want to haggle and 3k is fine. thoughts?

I assume you're quite young and he's basically treating you with contempt as he reckons you're not serious. If it was me, I'd take my money elsewhere - there's no shortage of dealers and most of them are desparate for sales at the moment.

Guest The Phoenix

Walk away.

Your opening "bid" was perfectly reasonable and if you can't get it for less than £3k, it's not worth bothering about.

Plenty of other fish in the sea.