Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

Nobody appears to have given a shit about it then, but it's only when women started doing the same thing that it made people really annoyed by their perceived couldn't-care-less attitude. There's definitely a double standard at play.

Is it not just as likely that people didn't give a shit about it back then because the media didn't waste time covering inane stuff like that back then?

I think it's more likely a reflection on the utter degradation of the BBC and it's ilk than it is gender attitudes.

38 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

When you go to click on a topic on P&B and the page jumps as it loads a new element just as you click.

The cause of 99.7% of user profile views imo.

There's times I've sat there for a good 20 seconds waiting on it moving before finally deciding to go for the press only for it to jump. More often than not I click on an ad too, if I was Alex Jones I'd say this was intentional and it's all Justin Beibers fault. 

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

My phone's swipe keyboard dictionary including proper nouns but not capitalising half of them.

I find it's normally only the first letter that's capitalised.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Is it not just as likely that people didn't give a shit about it back then because the media didn't waste time covering inane stuff like that back then?

I think it's more likely a reflection on the utter degradation of the BBC and it's ilk than it is gender attitudes.

Well, it's not like this is traditional media stuff anyway - it's all social media internet shite. I suppose it depends on whether 1960s Twitter would have been full of people moaning about male actors trying to sound detached and cool; I've never seen any boomers including it in their big bundle of annoyances, but maybe it's just because everything in the past was great. There are plenty of men who still do it too, but it only seems to annoy people when women do it.

I've no doubt that social media from the past would've been just as horrific as now, and just as popular. My gran knew all about the supposed Hollywood goings-on of Clara Bow and Fatty Arbuckle from her crofter's house in Perthshire, for example, and she wasn't even a gossipy woman.

24 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've no doubt that social media from the past would've been just as horrific as now, and just as popular. My gran knew all about the supposed Hollywood goings-on of Clara Bow and Fatty Arbuckle from her crofter's house in Perthshire, for example, and she wasn't even a gossipy woman.

Clara Bow and Fatty Arbuckle were in your gran's house in Perthshire?

9 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Clara Bow and Fatty Arbuckle were in your gran's house in Perthshire?

Neither would've made it over the threshold, by God!  :P

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Neither would've made it over the threshold, by God!  :P

Are you sure about that, Dave? Wikipedia implies otherwise.

Although his large size was undoubtedly part of his comedic appeal, Arbuckle was self-conscious about his weight and refused to use it to get "cheap" laughs like getting stuck in a doorway or chair.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Watching the original Star Trek series on Netflix, with jazzy "remastered" special effects. I want to watch the original, even if it looks poorer.

DZtV5vUVoAAKXk2.jpg

I'll agree with you on that one. It'll just make Shatner eating the scenery all the more jarring

10 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

When you go to click on a topic on P&B and the page jumps as it loads a new element just as you click.

The cause of 99.7% of user profile views imo.

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

There's times I've sat there for a good 20 seconds waiting on it moving before finally deciding to go for the press only for it to jump. More often than not I click on an ad too, if I was Alex Jones I'd say this was intentional and it's all Justin Beibers fault. 

Upgraded to Platinum purely to stop this from happening. Worth every penny. 

14 hours ago, Leith Green said:

The inability to find a working Air and Water machine near me.

Its no like I live in the sticks, but the one at Cameron Toll Sainsburys was (last time I was in) goosed, and the one at my local BP in Causewayside needs actual coins (despite the jetwash needing a card FOR FUCKS SAKE) !

I mean, water and air used to be a basic requirement for a fuel station.

Am I supposed to just drive around like a divvy til I find one?????

FFS !!!!

You used to be able to find a pump down Salamander Street.... 

Watching Match of the Day (and presumably Sportscene) and knowing if the little icon with the time and goal scorer doesn't come up in the bottom left that a goal's going to be disallowed by VAR. Hopefully I've now ruined this for you too.

2 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Every radio dj....

"You can contact us on X, formerly known as twitter"

Aye, we know what it used to be called,  you don't eed to remind us every 15 minutes.

It's quite amusing to see everyone in the world clearly waiting for the mad South African to leave so things can go back to normal.

Absolutely nobody outside of broadcasting refers to the site as anything other than Twitter, and nobody refers to posts on it as anything other than "tweets".

Posted (edited)

I'm convinced Graham Lineham and Arthur Mathews must have lived in my area years ago and were inspired to write about "The magic road" as a result of this particular street. 

I sometimes drive down it to get home and if it's after the school run (no idea why it seems to only be around this time), without fail* there will be someone walking down this road. Yesterday it was a lassie with a buggy and today it was two women with a young lassie (not having her hand held). I've driven down it and there's been a wheelchair cruising down the road as well. It's normally buggies though and more often than not, with their back to the traffic. 

There's a path on the other side ffs! If it was a particularly rough path or one known to be covered in dog shite I'd maybe understand but as paths go it's absolutely fine for a buggy/pram. It genuinely baffles me why folk feel the need to put themselves at risk rather than walk down a path. 

* I'm not exaggerating with this. I've never driven down it after the school run and there hasn't been someone walking in the middle of the road. 

I've just realised it's in here when it should really be in the TYWTS or CCOAM thread. I can't say this annoys me. It just baffles me why folk don't just use a path rather than stupidly walk down a (relatively busy) road.

Screenshot_20240501-091130.png

Edited by 19QOS19