Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Virgin don't have as many HD channels as Sky,but at least you can record two programs while watching another. You can't with Sky. :P

You could if you watch something you have recorded. :P

I personally can't see the diffrence with HD, so i'm not too bothered about that.

You must be blind then as I switched over from from the SD to the HD versions last night while watching the FA cup match and it was night and day.

You could if you watch something you have recorded. tongue.gif

You must be blind then as I switched over from from the SD to the HD versions last night while watching the FA cup match and it was night and day.

Bloody hell, HD must be getting better, you're right enough. I watched the game last night in SD and it did indeed seem like the game was being played at night. tongue.gif

1. Depends on your box how many hours you get. I actually don't have a clue how many hours we've got at the moment, but you get far more storage on the Sky HD box than you do on the normal Sky plus box. Either way, we never got close to filling the normal one, let alone the Sky HD one.

2. Sky Anytime does the same thing.

The problem with Virgin is that if you have a problem in the first place, you've bugger all chance of getting a helpful person on the end of the phone to fix it or arrange an engineer call. It's their customer service that lets them down so badly. Virgin's CSAs have awful attitude problems, are incredibly unhelpful and will charge you for everything they can possibly get away with. When they say they will refund charges that you've had unfairly, it's lies. They will not. Expect a bill to show you what you're paying for? Fat sodding chance. Request a copy of the bill you didn't receive? That'll be £2. Will the copy bill turn up? Unlikely, but not to worry, they'll organise another copy and charge you £2 again. Of course, they'll tell you that they'll refund you for the copy bills if it's down to a problem at their end, but guess what? The problem is NEVER at their end. They always have someone else to pass the buck to. Royal Mail are decent scapegoats, but most likely, they'll blame the customer. Just appalling service and for that reason, I'd never go back to Virgin.

I phoned up to cancel Virgin as we were thinking about taking everything with Sky and they phoned up a few days later and after being made a few offers I agreed on a deal for free land line calls 24/7 with 10 mb broadband with the M+ tv package for £14.46 a month but after waiting for over 24 hours for Sky Sports news to appear I phoned up and asked when the package would be upgraded and they claimed it was only the M package I was offered.

Sent away a email to somebody high up in Virgin Media in the hope that they will honour the offer not that I can camplain as it's saving us around £15 a month but it's the principle of the thing as it wasn't what we agreed.

I phoned up to cancel Virgin as we were thinking about taking everything with Sky and they phoned up a few days later and after being made a few offers I agreed on a deal for free land line calls 24/7 with 10 mb broadband with the M+ tv package for £14.46 a month but after waiting for over 24 hours for Sky Sports news to appear I phoned up and asked when the package would be upgraded and they claimed it was only the M package I was offered.

Sent away a email to somebody high up in Virgin Media in the hope that they will honour the offer not that I can camplain as it's saving us around £15 a month but it's the principle of the thing as it wasn't what we agreed.

That's the other thing Virgin do a lot - they'll profess to know everything that happened in the last phonecall you made, despite the fact that you're speaking to a different person. "But the notes on screen say...". I don't give a shit what the notes on your screen say, I know damn well what I said (I'm a woman, I can recall every word I say in every argument) and I know damn well what I was told. They deal with hundreds of calls a day, I only need to remember one. That probably goes for all call centres in fairness, but we're not discussing others here and I've not actually had the same trouble with Sky/BT/British Gas, etc.

You're right, if you've agreed something, you should expect that. Try pointing out that they're breaking the terms and conditions they've agreed though and you'll get precisely no-sodding-where.

That's the other thing Virgin do a lot - they'll profess to know everything that happened in the last phonecall you made, despite the fact that you're speaking to a different person. "But the notes on screen say...". I don't give a shit what the notes on your screen say, I know damn well what I said (I'm a woman, I can recall every word I say in every argument) and I know damn well what I was told. They deal with hundreds of calls a day, I only need to remember one. That probably goes for all call centres in fairness, but we're not discussing others here and I've not actually had the same trouble with Sky/BT/British Gas, etc.

You're right, if you've agreed something, you should expect that. Try pointing out that they're breaking the terms and conditions they've agreed though and you'll get precisely no-sodding-where.

I'm going to keep pushing for it despite the fact that the box won't be used due to having multiroom (unless it's put in the kitchen for Sky Sports News) but I'm too bloody stubborn to let it drop!!!

Last week I had a slight problem with Sky as I was getting charged for ESPN when it was offered as three months for free and straight away they put £27 credit on the account.

ah one of my favourites. another is "I can only apologise if this was indicated to you, obviously I wasn't party to that conversation....." or "clearly you can send in what you wish, I can only advise you on the items we require"

tbf though the advisor can only advise you based on the info available to them. if the notes don't say it then they can't take your word for it, you could call up and claim anything.

but I'm relieved I no longer have to do that job. Even if the end of my contract last week is financially painful.

I'm going to have to have a shave tomorrow before going to work, and my "Movember" attempt isn't quite at a half decent level yet.

It's sitting between "unnoticable" and "obvious" so that instead of not noticing, or asking why I've got a moustache, everyone's going to just silently judge me, or perhaps ask others behind my back why I look like the 15 year old kid at school who's Dad left before showing him how to shave.

Dang.

I can't sleep <_< Had the problem for the past couple of weeks (although a couple of days I have managed to get to sleep alright). I eventually get to sleep at about 4am. I then wake up without fail at half 7. It's absolute murder :(

so. the tory party are now officially bringing back state sponsored slavery.

yes I'm aware its not slavery officially since they get paid their £65 and yes I'm all for giving people anti bargain hunt methods but 30 hours? when do they go for interviews?

edit: really this is my good deed for the day as I'm sure StuD and exuberant will love it.

Edited by theentomologist

so. the tory party are now officially bringing back state sponsored slavery.

yes I'm aware its not slavery officially since they get paid their £65 and yes I'm all for giving people anti bargain hunt methods but 30 hours? when do they go for interviews?

edit: really this is my good deed for the day as I'm sure StuD and exuberant will love it.

It's not state sponsored slavery at all. People have the choice not to do it and find another way of paying their way.

I refuse to believe that the vast majority of those unemployed for over a year could not have managed to get a part-time job on the minimum wage at any point during that time. Working 20 hours a week on the minimum wage is worth somewhere near double what JSA pays.

The details of the scheme aren't yet fleshed out for the public to see, but I would be incredibly surprised if people were not excused from a work placement to go to an interview that they could prove they had been offered. Is it really any different or more difficult than someone already in work scouting for a new job?

I'm struggling to see the problem here at all. If you want society's support and you are able to work in return, then the very least you should do is reciprocate.

It's not state sponsored slavery at all. People have the choice not to do it and find another way of paying their way.

I refuse to believe that the vast majority of those unemployed for over a year could not have managed to get a part-time job on the minimum wage at any point during that time. Working 20 hours a week on the minimum wage is worth somewhere near double what JSA pays.

The details of the scheme aren't yet fleshed out for the public to see, but I would be incredibly surprised if people were not excused from a work placement to go to an interview that they could prove they had been offered. Is it really any different or more difficult than someone already in work scouting for a new job?

I'm struggling to see the problem here at all. If you want society's support and you are able to work in return, then the very least you should do is reciprocate.

all good points. in theory.

My views on different things range wildly from left to right wing on a variety of topics and I'm certainly no Tory voter but this sounds like a brilliant scheme. It's the sort of thing I would try to introduce if I was in power.

I am of the firm belief that if you want to work hard and contribute to society even though you're not currently in work or have perhaps made some bad choices in the past you should be fully supported. If you're a workshy lay about you should be encouraged to change your ways but if you don't then you'll not have my sympathy when you're hung out to dry.

I refuse to believe that the vast majority of those unemployed for over a year could not have managed to get a part-time job on the minimum wage at any point during that time.

Try comparing the number of vacancies in the economy versus the total number of econmically inactive. Serve your fail over ice.

Try comparing the number of vacancies in the economy versus the total number of economically inactive. Serve your fail over ice.

So you don't accept that the vast majority of those on JSA should be able to get a job somewhere on the minimum wage?

The number of jobs has never been greater than the number of people capable of work. That doesn't mean that it's acceptable for people to say that they can't get ANY work for over a year, given that the turnover of jobs is significantly higher at the bottom of the pay-scale. The premise of this scheme is fair, because it says to those who have genuinely tried and been unable to find work that the state will continue to support them in their efforts to find work if they will reciprocate by doing something to earn that support.

Edited by Ad Lib

So you don't accept that the vast majority of those on JSA should be able to get a job somewhere on the minimum wage?

The number of jobs has never been greater than the number of people capable of work. That doesn't mean that it's acceptable for people to say that they can't get ANY work for over a year, given that the turnover of jobs is significantly higher at the bottom of the pay-scale. The premise of this scheme is fair, because it says to those who have genuinely tried and been unable to find work that the state will continue to support them in their efforts to find work if they will reciprocate by doing something to earn that support.

Erm no, given the number of economically inactive, either on JSA or the rather stretched disability band, the turnover for each job would have to occur around four to five times a year. It's a ridiculous proposal while the economy has long-term unemployment structured into it.