Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Ha ha there are some people who get good jobs who have no common sense about stuff! I refuse to believe there are people who just roam about looking for things to steal off building sites, all sites have CCTV at the main entrances but there are always places to store things that can go undetected with a bit of inside knowledge. A site I was working at had ladders stolen from it, expensive ladders at that and to make sure this didn't happen again the site agents forked out for new locks on doors and had a talk with everyone about general security measures. The most likely solution which was probably over looked was the fact that the site opens at 7 but the majority of workers in the building the ladders were stolen from don't start until 8, what would arouse suspicion from anyone if they saw builders wearing high vis and hard hats lift a ladder into a work vehicle anyway?

49 minutes ago, throbber said:

I refuse to believe there are people who just roam about looking for things to steal off building sites

I had a summer job doing security on a building site near Stirling. I was always having folk trying to blag in saying they were coming to pick stuff for "the other site" or some other pish. I may only have been 20 y/o or so but I was wise to groups of boozed up jakies in an old Vectras was coming to pick up a generators.

Yeah you can spot a shady b*****d a mile off! Guys come round to site and try to sell stuff they have clearly robbed for dirt cheap as well. A guy at my work as talking about guys trying to flog stihl saws that are probably worth £300 for about £50-£100, they usually get chased but eventually someone who won't care where it came from will buy it! I'm sure some of the guys will even return to the scene of the crime and try re sell stolen goods back to people such is the brass neck of certain individuals. Scum.

If somebody offers me a Stihl saw for a ton I'm taking it, bollocks to worrying about where it came from.

It was actually a husqvana but that was harder to spell, they are cheap shite and break easily.

The same guy at work was also complaining about the amount of saws, drills ladders etc that get broken and the cost of having them fixed/replaced from hire company is astronomical. People actually show up for work and take no responsibility for tools what so ever and act ignorant when they break with no regard as to who pays for it. Part of the reasons why wages are so shite for workers which is why they don't give a f**k about breaking and or stealing tools. A shit of an industry to be in tbh.

Just now, throbber said:

It was actually a husqvana but that was harder to spell, they are cheap shite and break easily.

The same guy at work was also complaining about the amount of saws, drills ladders etc that get broken and the cost of having them fixed/replaced from hire company is astronomical. People actually show up for work and take no responsibility for tools what so ever and act ignorant when they break with no regard as to who pays for it. Part of the reasons why wages are so shite for workers which is why they don't give a f**k about breaking and or stealing tools. A shit of an industry to be in tbh.

Word, yo.

Just now, Sweet Pete said:

Material wastage is a constant bone of contention for me. Gets right on my wick.

Bought a new house last year - classic scenario of one day my house was still inside the site fence, the next day I was moved in and the site fence was between me and next door, which wasn't yet finished.  It's amazing the amount of stuff that I was able to buy, cash in hand, from the workies on site, to do additional stuff to the house.  I was getting my garage converted as soon as I moved in, "Want a pallet of bricks so that the bit your builder puts under the new window matches the resat of your house?"  Not a problem, price agreed and pallet delivered.  Sparky came in and ran power up to my loft and installed a double socket up there,  List went on.

1 minute ago, Boghead ranter said:

Bought a new house last year - classic scenario of one day my house was still inside the site fence, the next day I was moved in and the site fence was between me and next door, which wasn't yet finished.  It's amazing the amount of stuff that I was able to buy, cash in hand, from the workies on site, to do additional stuff to the house.  I was getting my garage converted as soon as I moved in, "Want a pallet of bricks so that the bit your builder puts under the new window matches the resat of your house?"  Not a problem, price agreed and pallet delivered.  Sparky came in and ran power up to my loft and installed a double socket up there,  List went on.

We are an industry of wasteful cowboys.

Just now, Sweet Pete said:

We are an industry of wasteful cowboys.

Unless the site manager is in on it Pete, how does he not notice that an entire pallet of bricks has gone missing (and was delivered by a man on the site diggery thing), surely it can;t all be written off to wastage?  And that a sparky goes awol for an hour, along with a length of flex and a socket (ok that's harder to miss).

Just now, Boghead ranter said:

Unless the site manager is in on it Pete, how does he not notice that an entire pallet of bricks has gone missing (and was delivered by a man on the site diggery thing), surely it can;t all be written off to wastage?  And that a sparky goes awol for an hour, along with a length of flex and a socket (ok that's harder to miss).

Sometimes they are and sometimes they're not. Varies from site to site and person to person. If they have a surplus of brick (for example) or have at least ordered a large amount in advance then they may well simply not notice and then just order more later when they find they're getting short. The spark is a simple case of being on the clock but taking a quick cash job and hoping the gaffer thinks he's in another part of the site and doesn't notice.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

Not really boghead - a pallet of bricks missing and a sparkly gone walkabout for an hour is nothing unusual plus they will have bigger fish to fry anyway.

Yes, a sparkly electrician would be a problem, he'd almost certainly be a fire risk and definitely a distraction.

3 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Sometimes they are and sometimes they're not. Varies from site to site and person to person. If they have a surplus of brick (for example) or have at least ordered a large amount in advance then they may well simply not notice and then just order more later when they find they're getting short. The spark is a simple case of being on the clock but taking a quick cash job and hoping the gaffer thinks he's in another part of the site and doesn't notice.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Not really boghead - a pallet of bricks missing and a sparkly gone walkabout for an hour is nothing unusual plus they will have bigger fish to fry anyway.

Cheers both.  Black market economy saved me a fortune anyway.  The digger guy even came along and flattened my back garden for me in 15 minutes flat, trundling over the next-door neighbour's hours-old turf-prepped garden in the process :lol:

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

Yes, a sparkly electrician would be a problem, he'd almost certainly be a fire risk and definitely a distraction.

:lol: Oops.

I did get to meet Bryan Prunty's brother too, who came across to chat when he spotted me outside in my Sons top.  He wasn't sparkly either.

Edited by Boghead ranter

2 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Would he fit the floor lights underneath those disgusting sparkly marble worktops that scheme goblins get in their fitted kitchens?