Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Rounds are shite

Rounds are only shite if you drink with arseholes. There's etiquette and decency to be adhered to and it works gloriously.
Groups that are together that don't drink in rounds should be asked to leave any drinking establishment. Folk that buy one drink and pay by card should be booted in the pie and banned from public places.

It's a relief you're not a complete lost cause with this. Rounds are the answer though if everyone is sound and knows what's expected.

Exactly this- there is an unwritten rule surrounding rounds- if it's your round- pay for it. Also, never up-step the cost of your drink unless it's your round. Used to drink with a French guy (at work) who would regularly drink brandy & an espresso on my round, then switch back to lager/beer for himself when he was buying. Oh how I laughed when I broke his arm in 3 places.

Exactly this- there is an unwritten rule surrounding rounds- if it's your round- pay for it. Also, never up-step the cost of your drink unless it's your round. Used to drink with a French guy (at work) who would regularly drink brandy & an espresso on my round, then switch back to lager/beer for himself when he was buying. Oh how I laughed when I broke his arm in 3 places.

Did he not change his habits after you broke it in the first place? A change of drink is only acceptable after a few rounds, i.e. stopping having pints and going on to halves. No grumbles with that. Lager then espresso and a brandy then back to lager is taking the piss.

They're ok if you're drinking Stella and they're drinking Fosters.

Doesn't matter what you're drinking with DA, pubes are going in it regardless.

Rounds are only shite if you drink with arseholes. There's etiquette and decency to be adhered to and it works gloriously.

Groups that are together that don't drink in rounds should be asked to leave any drinking establishment.

Was at a work training course in the arse end of nowhere a few years ago. The only thing to do at night after the meal was sit in the hotel bar with the rest of the likeminded group (8 of us) and drink!

7 rounds in and, after knocking back his 7 pints, the solitary Englishman in the group stood up and announced that he was off up to bed. Became apparent immediately the next round was due that he'd scarpered ahead of his turn.

This hotel didn't need a signature to add a charge to your room, so I added a round to his room. (With the giggling agreement of the other 6). Forgot about it until we checked out the next day and heard him in a stand up argument about the additional charges on his room.

I was very happy with my evening's work and the group remained heroically silent when questioned by him on many occasions subsequently. Arsehole.

I'd have told him it was his round so you charged it to his room.

I think that may have been the plan originally, but the state he got into when settling his bill made us want to play dumb as long as possible. His level of anger was a joy to behold.

2 hours ago, dee_62 said:

Was at a work training course in the arse end of nowhere a few years ago. The only thing to do at night after the meal was sit in the hotel bar with the rest of the likeminded group (8 of us) and drink!

7 rounds in and, after knocking back his 7 pints, the solitary Englishman in the group stood up and announced that he was off up to bed. Became apparent immediately the next round was due that he'd scarpered ahead of his turn.

This hotel didn't need a signature to add a charge to your room, so I added a round to his room. (With the giggling agreement of the other 6). Forgot about it until we checked out the next day and heard him in a stand up argument about the additional charges on his room.

I was very happy with my evening's work and the group remained heroically silent when questioned by him on many occasions subsequently. Arsehole.

Should have pulled the c**t before he went to bed. 

"I'm off to bed"

"Cool. It's your round, get the beers in first." 

"Aw is it. Ok then"

Londoners say the northerners are tight to cover up for them not wanting to buy rounds at London prices. Northerners, particularly Lancashire folk, pin it on the Yorkshiremen (although, in my experience the latter are actually the tightest group of people on the planet). Not happy with this, Yorkshire continue the 'go North' rule and try to deflect it on Scotland. Glasgow as part of Scotland, feeling that it threatens the whole "we're friendly as f***" front, pin it on the Aberdonians who in turn... have nobody to their north other than polar bears, hence get stuck with it here.

On 1/21/2017 at 20:50, tree house tam said:

Used to get the train from Perth to Thurso a lot when I was young. Over 7 and a half hours!! Joke of a journey. 

On 1/21/2017 at 20:54, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I can't believe that anyone uses some of the stations on that line. I remember driving past Kildonan station, which had about 6 buildings within a 3 mile radius of it.

I looked at this line after reading this. Ridiculous. And a little further up the line there are places like Halkirk that actually seem to have a reasonable population but don't have any station. WTF?

14 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

And all 'buying their own' rather than doing rounds.

Had to stop buying rounds when I got to London. Get about 8 drinks in as soon as we hit the bar and lucky if I get two or three bought back over the course of the night. Absolute wankers down here.

There needs to be a poll on this weegie loving/hating thing from non weegies. I love Glasgow and nearly everything about it. It's the best place in Scotland for me hands down.

As for rounds, out this weekend and be doing a pub to pub effort and it'll be rounds. Also if I'm ever at any kind of hospitality/dinners etc rounds. But if you're sitting in the same pub all day with a group of people rounds are shite.