Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Are you saying that £4000, or £333 a month is a fair, reasonable and attainable price to pay if you're a young driver? If so, we'll never agree.

No, but the 1500 or so is, especially for fully comp ;)

If you cant afford it, get used to the buses ;)

And that is where we differ :D

What? im more realistic about the costs of insurance/ running a car and you are spitting the dummy that the big bad insurance companies are quoting you a lot of money for insurance? :unsure:

Ill tell you what, ill have a word with them and get them to forget about the fact it may put them out of business, and tell them to only charge a round rate of $500 for a years insurance regardless of circumstances :rolleyes:

I don't see the point in car insurance and prefer to drive without it. This makes me drive more carefully to avoid getting into any accidents and also means that even short journeys have an element of excitement in them. Plus I really hate those fucking Confused.Com adverts.

People are too mollycoddled these days - no smoking, life insurance, car insurance, pet insurance and all that malarky.

The human race managed fine for thousands of years without all this pish. I bet Attila the *** or Genghis Khan didn't have chariot insurance, I'm sure when Winston Churchill went for a few sneaky brandies he didn't have to go outside to puff on his cigar and I'm absolutely positive that Clint Eastwood monkey buddy from Every Which Way But Loose didn't have worm insurance. But they all managed OK and became admirable members of society!

To add to the insurance, another reason that insurance is so high nowadays are taht new cars are completely shit :lol:

A small fender bender can cost about $2-3000 to fix as cars just crumple on contact now, due to safety concerns. There are also a lot more cars being written off when they get in accidents, so instead of having to cover $500 or so to remove a dent from a fender bender, insurance companies are having to spend thousands to replace a panel or something like that.

Guest The Phoenix

To add to the insurance, another reason that insurance is so high nowadays are taht new cars are completely shit :lol:

A small fender bender can cost about $2-3000 to fix as cars just crumple on contact now, due to safety concerns. There are also a lot more cars being written off when they get in accidents, so instead of having to cover $500 or so to remove a dent from a fender bender, insurance companies are having to spend thousands to replace a panel or something like that.

I would suggest the price of American car insurance has got a lot (if not everything) to with what sh*** drivers they are.

I have recently returned from a holiday in Florida and it seemed like every time I parked my rental car (which was brand new at the outset) when I came back to it, it either had another car's paint attached to it, it was scratched or on one occasion there was a lump of paint removed from my rear bumper (fender?).

Still waiting to see if the Hire Company try to hit my credit card for the accumulative damage.

So in conclusion Petty Things that get on my nerves - American Drivers. :angry:

you can't compare it to something like Muslims and Terrorism. If insurance companies didn't charge young people high prices then they would go down the tubes quicker than you can say "quote me happy".

Like Bluetooner can't compare me parking in a parent and child bay occasionally to someone murdering someone occasionally! :lol:

That wouldnt solve the problem. The reason that young drivers get into the accidents, are not because they are "stupid" when driving or that up until the age of 19 you drive recklessly, it is because they are inexperienced. Until you have had 2-3 years of driving in all conditions, you are not going to be that good a driver.

Sorry, how is a 40 year old driver who has just passed their test any more experienced than a 17 year old driver who has just passed their test? It has more to do with the mindset of a young person in comparison to an older person than experience - given that both are on the exact same level of road experience regardless of age.

Vauxhall Astra, 1996, N reg, 1.4 litre. It cost £800. Powerful? Don't think so. That was fully comp as a second driver! It wasn't even my own insurance policy.

40 year old driver, just passed HIS test, no experience, quoted £434. Where as a young, 17 year old driver, just passed his test is quoted £1500. Has very little, if anything to do with experience. It's about preventing 17 year old drivers from getting behind the wheel.

Needless to say I agree with you.

1.4 litre is still more powerful than id allow for young drivers ;) and it was fully comp which adds about 5-600 on to the price i would think. ;)

I got a quote of £763 fully comprehensive for a 1.2 2004 VW Polo E from Tesco.

He was discriminated against not only because of his age, but because of his gender as well.

Edited by SaintSam

I think the point you're all missing is that insurance companies have no option but to categorise people and make assumptions based on fairly broad criteria.

Im no fan of insurance companies, far from it, but they have to distinguish between different risks somehow. The only way to fairly assess someone would be to have every applicant complete an extensive psychological profile, provide proof of driving experience, work history, family circumstances, how dodgy their neighbours are etc etc etc.

This would certainly lead to a fairer pricing on an individual basis but the cost of administering all of this would hugely increase everyones premiums. To get around it they compile a load of statistics and pigeon hole people.

That means people pay higher premiums if they live in certain postcodes, have accidents, have points on their licence, drive expensive/fast cars or are young. Young people are by no means the only group being royaly screwed by the insurance companies, get over it ;)

edited to add - I forgot about parent & child parking. What winds me up almost as much as people parking in it without kids are the ones that park there with a car full of kids that then sit in the car while one parent nips into the shop! Surely people arent that stupid that they miss the whole point of parent&child spaces that badly? :o:angry:

Edited by andycqos

Like Bluetooner can't compare me parking in a parent and child bay occasionally to someone murdering someone occasionally! :lol:

I was just pointing out that using the fact you dont do something often is no excuse for doing it. I said at the time it was overkill but it does show my point effectively. :)

Sorry, how is a 40 year old driver who has just passed their test any more experienced than a 17 year old driver who has just passed their test? It has more to do with the mindset of a young person in comparison to an older person than experience - given that both are on the exact same level of road experience regardless of age.

I stated that i didnt think how long you had your test for was part of the insurance forms. :unsure:

Needless to say I agree with you.

I got a quote of £763 fully comprehensive for a 1.2 2004 VW Polo E from Tesco.

He was discriminated against not only because of his age, but because of his gender as well.

Its not being discriminated against. It is covering the fact that it is statistically shown that Males under the age of 21 or whatever are more likely to get in the accident than 40 year old women. It is the same reasons that it is more expensive for people who use their car for work, and drive 300miles a week in it, compared to someone who just drives 30miles a week. If there was an insurance for it, it would cost a lot more for insurance against being shot by a gun if you were an undercover police officer who is often shot at, compared to an old lady who lives in the woods with nothing people would want to rob, and is visited 1x a month by an old man who gave her groceries/food etc to live on. Just because you dont think its fair it doesnt mean its discrimination. If you want to make sure you are amply covered then you have to pay for it, if you want to risk not being covered good luck, but you will pay the consequence of you get into an accident. If you cant afford the insurance, do like i did and sell your car, taking public transport/hitch a lift.

Not going to jump on my high horse and do a bluetooner by any stretch of the imagination. Just going to thank my luck for being female! :P

Hey im famous :D:lol:

However i hate to rain on your parade, but as Phd Dave will confirm to do a bluetooner is actually to jinx your team in any way possible. You will have to come up with a new term for it ;)

Hey im famous :D:lol:

However i hate to rain on your parade, but as Phd Dave will confirm to do a bluetooner is actually to jinx your team in any way possible. You will have to come up with a new term for it ;)

I can confirm young Evans here is a fecking jinx :angry:

Still, getting Wilson the boot was a good thing :)