Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You expect them to memorise every postcode, even when they shift routes on a regular basis?

Not the posties but the guys in the sorting office with the computers.

12 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Not the posties but the guys in the sorting office with the computers.

They don't deliver the letters. Had a couple of delivery jobs in Inverness and around the Highlands and the postcode often isn't much help. Sometimes even having the full address involves banging on random doors till you find the place.

Edited by welshbairn

Just watching the crystal maze. They now have the eastern zone instead of the medieval zone. Fucking scandulous.
Medieval and aztec are sacrosanct. Possibly my all time favourite TV game show however I just can't bring myself to watch it, best remembered with Richard O'brien whilst watching it in my pyjamas after the Sunday bath.

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

They don't deliver the letters. Had a couple of delivery jobs in Inverness and around the Highlands and the postcode often isn't much help. Sometimes even having the full address involves banging on random doors till you find the place.

Well, I'm just going by what I've read so if you've done the job for real then I bow to your superior knowledge. But my impression was that in the Royal Mail the letters were passed in front of an operator who read the postcode and typed it into a machine which then printed phosphor dots onto the envelope. This was read by other machines which then did the sorting into areas and eventually down to individual streets. So the postie would be presented with a bundle of letters for one particular street (or section of it if it's a long one) held together by a red rubber band. And if one of them simply had a house number he'd still know where it was because it would be in a bundle which did have the street name on the others. He wouldn't have to know the postcode by heart.

Of course the PO also claimed they had vans that could tell what TV channel you were watching so maybe the above is a load of shite too.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Woke up early a bit hungry and needing a pee. Whilst pishing, my earphones fell out of my ears into the toilet (now full of pish). 

So were you sleeping with the earphones in or did you put them in after waking but before pishing?

6 minutes ago, GordonD said:

So were you sleeping with the earphones in or did you put them in after waking but before pishing?

I woke up about 4 as was hungry and in pain (don’t want to scare people with another foot pick but got my big toe stomped and the nail looks like it will come off) so stuck my earphones in to listen to an audiobook. 

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

Well, I'm just going by what I've read so if you've done the job for real then I bow to your superior knowledge. But my impression was that in the Royal Mail the letters were passed in front of an operator who read the postcode and typed it into a machine which then printed phosphor dots onto the envelope. This was read by other machines which then did the sorting into areas and eventually down to individual streets. So the postie would be presented with a bundle of letters for one particular street (or section of it if it's a long one) held together by a red rubber band. And if one of them simply had a house number he'd still know where it was because it would be in a bundle which did have the street name on the others. He wouldn't have to know the postcode by heart.

Of course the PO also claimed they had vans that could tell what TV channel you were watching so maybe the above is a load of shite too.

I wasn't delivering for the PO so we had none of that. I doubt it would help that much in areas where the numbers are all out of sequence and the same code covers different street names, or if you're out in the sticks where one postcode can cover several square miles, but I could be wrong. We quite often get post meant for the same number of a different street.

Edited by welshbairn

37 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

These c***s in flute bands marching around at 8.30am in the morning. Some c**t also needs to tune their drum, morons to a man.

This. Imagine waking up at this time on a Saturday morning to dress up in your silly wee outfit for a march through town, inconveniencing countless people. Attention-seeking c***s.

That's basically the whole mentality of these types, they have such boring empty lives that they find joy in destroying others with hatred and bullying. I'd honestly find it easy to pull the trigger on this type of clown.

2 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

This. Imagine waking up at this time on a Saturday morning to dress up in your silly wee outfit for a march through town, inconveniencing countless people. Attention-seeking c***s.

I live near Bught Park in Inverness and there's been what sounds like 20,000 bagpipes going off all morning. I'd rather have an Orange March briefly pass the front door tbh.