Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Wimbledon coverage when you can't tell which player is which. It was pretty obvious in the women's final but when it's two white guys it's next to impossible if you tune in halfway through a rally. Simple enough to put the names at the side of the screen, surely?
And I just know somebody is going to quote this post, delete everything except the first word and say 'FTFY'.

The onscreen scoreboard has a wee symbol adjacent to the player's name who is currently serving.

7 minutes ago, Oscar P said:

The onscreen scoreboard has a wee symbol adjacent to the player's name who is currently serving.

yep...but that doesn't help if the game is in mid-rally.  

Anyway, if someone cannot tell the difference between the 2 players what the f**k does it matter - cannot be much of a tennis fan anyway.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

It makes perfect sense to get volunteer kids who probably love the experience to do it.

Are they volunteers? 

I thought they paid to join the club and were then selected from a pool?

1 minute ago, Dele said:

Are they volunteers? 

I thought they paid to join the club and were then selected from a pool?

I can't say I know the process, just meant it's unpaid work.

I'd guess they are picked from some posh tennis clubs in London though yeah.

32 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Anyway, if someone cannot tell the difference between the 2 players what the f**k does it matter - cannot be much of a tennis fan anyway.

It's when they are both of similar size, ethnicity, hair colour and are wearing caps that obstruct their faces, that I struggle.

6 minutes ago, nsr said:

It's when they are both of similar size, ethnicity, hair colour and are wearing caps that obstruct their faces, that I struggle.

Aye, but still a tennis fan would know who was who and if you're not, what does it matter?

Need to wash my work trousers so dug out a full wash worth of underwear and socks (the troosirs can be tumble dried). Put the wash on, machine fills up with water. Turn away into the kitchen, bang, work trousers still on the kitchen table.

Eediot.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I'm not. But if it comes on the news that a particular player made a particularly fine shot I'd like to know which one to focus my attention on. Thinking on from a point that nsr made, names on the backs of the players' shirts would help.

Anyway, don't forget that this thread is for PETTY things that get on your nerves.

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

I'm not. But if it comes on the news that a particular player made a particularly fine shot I'd like to know which one to focus my attention on. Thinking on from a point that nsr made, names on the backs of the players' shirts would help.

Anyway, don't forget that this thread is for PETTY things that get on your nerves.

Could work...but should only be used when 2  players of same ethnicity are playing

9 minutes ago, Dele said:

Need to wash my work trousers so dug out a full wash worth of underwear and socks (the troosirs can be tumble dried). Put the wash on, machine fills up with water. Turn away into the kitchen, bang, work trousers still on the kitchen table.

Eediot.

Just wear some shorts. I'm wearing shorts to work today and have been unusually productive. 

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Just wear some shorts. I'm wearing shorts to work today and have been unusually productive. 

I got told off for cutting my work trousers into shorts last month. Was advised not to let it happen with a this pair.

Andrew Castle made the same point during Queens, although that was more about making it hard to identify the two players on a doubles team when they wore the same brand of gear. In fact, one of the chair umpires the other day said the wrong name before correcting himself - something like "Mr X. is challenging the call... Mr. Y is challenging the call on the left base line, the ball was called out."

On 14/07/2019 at 15:01, HenryHill said:

When my satnav suddenly decides to tell me to go 'north-west' or the likes. Cheers. Just let me find the North Star and I will work from there. I have never asked for directions and been told to go east or west.

That's weird. Just yesterday I was looking for directions to the local Co-op and the Google maps told me to head west.

I'm sat there saying to my passenger just let me get my compass out.