Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:
East neuk of Fife has some great chippies

I've always wondered if they are actually that good or just trading on reputation and confirmation bias.

I avoid places that have a stack of food being kept warm above the fryer.

Valente's on Overton Road Kirkcaldy and The Cadora in Inverkeithing cook everything to order which is what you want.

Past two days I've gorged myself on chocolate and haribo ffs. Absolutely disgust myself, it's becoming almost an addiction and I think I may need help. 
Get the sugar free haribo. That will sort you out

32 minutes ago, coprolite said:

What haribo? 

Mostly the joghurt based ones or the pig/rabbit heads. Delicious but I have a sugar brain and find them addictive. 

2 minutes ago, weirdcal said:
36 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
Past two days I've gorged myself on chocolate and haribo ffs. Absolutely disgust myself, it's becoming almost an addiction and I think I may need help. 

Get the sugar free haribo. That will sort you out

I wish I knew of such a thing!

Somebody at work brought in a bag of Haribo Jelly Babies last year. Not a huge fan of the regular ones, but I tried one to be nice. Fast forward to this year and I think I put on about two stone thanks to the fuckers. Ought to be banned.

Back to suppers, the worst I've had was from a chippy in Aberfeldy. I had a couple of Americans with me who were eager to try their first supper, and also wanted to try haggis, so we combined the two. Absolutely vile, and I still get reminded of it.

The chippy in Plean is/was also awful; the locals informed me that there was a small window of opportunity for ordering something passable. Too late, and you were getting the 'display models' that had been sitting under the lamp all night. Too early, and you were getting last night's display models reheated  :yucky

2 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

I avoid places that have a stack of food being kept warm above the fryer.

Valente's on Overton Road Kirkcaldy and The Cadora in Inverkeithing cook everything to order which is what you want.

It's surely standard practice for chippies to fry to order these days? 

1 minute ago, Angusfifer said:

In an ideal world, however, people regretfully think walking in and out of a chip shop in less than 90 seconds as a great thing.

Any time I frequent such places I scan what's under the lamps and order something that isn't there, usually met with someone with a screwed up face saying ' it'll be 5-10 minutes as we have to cook it'

1 minute ago, Angusfifer said:

My examples were twenty years ago but, no, there are plenty that keep stock in reserve.

After a late night at work, I dropped in to one local shop that seems quite well thought of in these parts. They had a stack of fish, sausage, and other shite under the heat lamp. Ten minutes 'til closing, so after getting my order, the lassie asked if I wanted any of the old stuff as they were about to throw it out anyway. I asked for a sausage to take home for the dug, so she wrapped it up and then tried to change me for it  :lol: