Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

39 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

The shift of Tottenham now being known universally as Spurs. May be a case of me noticing it more as I get older and grumpier, but bugs me more than it should. 

I couldn't give fiddler's fart about English fitba (unless the Toffees are doing well, which they aren't). But it's not as bad as ICT continually being referred to as "Caley". It's like Thistle never existed. 

46 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

The shift of Tottenham now being known universally as Spurs. May be a case of me noticing it more as I get older and grumpier, but bugs me more than it should. 

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I couldn't give fiddler's fart about English fitba (unless the Toffees are doing well, which they aren't). But it's not as bad as ICT continually being referred to as "Caley". It's like Thistle never existed. 

I take it that Sevco gets a pass.

1 minute ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Aye I’m not really that fussed now either, so maybe that’s why I notice it the use of Spurs more than I ever used to. I’m guilty of using Caley from time to time, so it’d be hypocritical of me to moan about it. I get it though. 

6 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I agree to a certain extent but in terms of shorthand, the example of Walter Smith has some relevancy.

22 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I think that was the whole point of "the merger".

On 31/05/2023 at 07:27, The Moonster said:

Bands/artists who say "catch us on our UK Tour!" when the only places they are playing are in England. 

It seems to be becoming more common of late. Lucky if they even do a gig outside of London.

On 31/05/2023 at 17:45, TxRover said:

If it’s a U.S. promoter, it’s all the same…the concept of Scotland/England/Wales/Northern Ireland is all beyond the ken of the average ‘Merican. Hell, you tell them you’re flying into Edinburgh and they say “enjoy England”.

No doubt you've also had the "so where is Scotland anyway?" conversation. I was fine with that to start with, as it's weird to expect everyone in foreign countries to know exactly where you're from, but after a couple of dozen times it started to get a bit surreal, especially considering how often people didn't know that Scotland was part of the UK ("I thought that was England and Ireland" being the most common response).

My favourite was when a bank teller asked if I would yodel for him  :lol:

22 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

They were always Spurs in England, at least in the Eighties. Tottenham was like their Sunday name; you'd only hear it on the Classifieds.

Personally I think they should have stuck with Tottingham. Ossie was class.

41 minutes ago, BTFD said:

They were always Spurs in England, at least in the Eighties. Tottenham was like their Sunday name; you'd only hear it on the Classifieds.

1973, “Nice One Cyril”, by the Cockerel Chorus…uses the line “When the Spurs have the ball…”. The appellation Spurs goes way back, and the team was actually just plain Hotspur Football Club before adding Tottenham.