Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Maybe she thought you mean Aberdeen, Hong Kong?  It's an island. 

As I had provided the postcode makes her a bigger idiot than I first thought

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Maybe she was on Thanet or Wight?

Bristol

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I used to work with someone in Inverness who got all her parcels delivered to her sister who lived in Grantown-on-Spey as it has a Perth postcode so gets cheaper delivery.  She goes down once every couple of weeks to see her and collect them all.

Bit of a bugger when she orders a pizza, I'd have thought.

7 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yep, as I said I suspected what I had read was BS.  Not having owned a car for almost 20 years I was a bit surprised at the remote locking/unlocking system as anybody could nip in behind you and open the door and grab whatever was on the seat.  That said, I've worked out the operating distance is about 3m so they'd need to be pretty nippy to get in and away in that time.  

Caveat. With a pair of devices the car can be stolen is very limited circumstances. If you have the keys laying around while the car is somewhat nearby, a pair of thieves can get close enough to the fob to pickup its passive unlock signal, transmit that signal to a second thief with a receiver/amplifier, and the second thief can use that device to unlock and start the car like the key is present. Once the car is driven away, it cannot be restarted or locked/unlocked until the fob signal is redetected or a bent shop reprograms the car. This is easily defeated by storing the key fob(s) inside a faraday cage…there are simple bags or boxes sold for this purpose, but it’s almost exclusively a high end vehicle issue.

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Why am I not surprised?

Because they used the 351 Cleveland on a few tank like vehicles?

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Caveat. With a pair of devices the car can be stolen is very limited circumstances. If you have the keys laying around while the car is somewhat nearby, a pair of thieves can get close enough to the fob to pickup its passive unlock signal, transmit that signal to a second thief with a receiver/amplifier, and the second thief can use that device to unlock and start the car like the key is present. Once the car is driven away, it cannot be restarted or locked/unlocked until the fob signal is redetected or a bent shop reprograms the car. This is easily defeated by storing the key fob(s) inside a faraday cage…there are simple bags or boxes sold for this purpose, but it’s almost exclusively a high end vehicle issue.

Because they used the 351 Cleveland on a few tank like vehicles?

I should've guessed.

2 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

People taking to social media in this cuntry to moan about politics or the cost of living and finishing off by saying, we should be more like the French and take to the streets.

Get off bloody twitter then and start it

Would that be the same people who moan about Just Stop Oil blocking roads and interrupting sporting events?

Edited by Soapy FFC

14 hours ago, TxRover said:

Too much trouble for a Toyota Raize I'd imagine. 

Bid for an item on ebay. It has a starting price of £10 and a buy it now price of £70.

I was the first bidder. Message comes up saying reserve price has not been met.

So the seller has set a reserve price above the £10 starting price but the bidders can't see what it is. Nobody's got time for that shit. Just put the starting price at the minimum you want to sell it at and stop wasting my fucking time. Can't see how to block a seller either

3 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Bid for an item on ebay. It has a starting price of £10 and a buy it now price of £70.

So the seller has set a reserve price above the £10 starting price but the bidders can't see what it is. Nobody's got time for that shit. Just put the starting price at the minimum you want to sell it at and stop wasting my fucking time. Can't see how to block a seller either

Bet the reserve is £69.99

3 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Unfortunately, it's a feature that's carried over from meatspace auctions. I don't get the point of it either, but I get the impression it's supposed to be for people who are selling art for millions of pounds and are worried that bidders will conspire to hit the minimum price and go no further. Not for Tam selling his sport socks at two furra pound.

At an old job, someone came up with the brilliant idea that I should set reserve prices to prevent items for selling for less than their value, as I was required to set a starting price of £10 and everything had to go to auction. All that happened was that we had a bunch of stuff that didn't sell at all, and I was inundated by messages asking what the reserve price was. Genius.

The reserve price should be the minimum amount accepted for a bid Shirley?

Otherwise the item doesn't sell, the buyer misses out, the seller is left with the item, and eBay just pocket the listing fee. Oh wait I see why they do it now! 

12 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Otherwise the item doesn't sell, the buyer misses out, the seller is left with the item, and eBay just pocket the listing fee. Oh wait I see why they do it now! 

Isn't that the same as any auction, though?

Doesn't it cost more to list items on ebay with a reserve price, and more so the higher the reserve too?

2 hours ago, Swarley said:

The seller can go to the bidders after auction on ebay and say "I see you offered X, I'd like to accept that bid".

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Isn't that the same as any auction, though?

Doesn't it cost more to list items on ebay with a reserve price, and more so the higher the reserve too?

True. I was reading the earlier post that any bids below reserve, and no one actually knows what the reserve was/is, are rejected or a waste of time but Derry Alli's post clear up my confusion. As you were.