Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

27 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Sorry pal, I was being facetious. Hope you both get sorted out.

Yeah, I know, and don't worry, I took the joke as intended and appreciate the humour.

It's just such an all-consuming, constant topic right now, because she's really going through the wringer with other things going on in her life, and her health is all over the place and the NHS is doing literally f**k all to help her. So frustrating, especially because she has foreign colleagues at work who are flabbergasted at the NHS's intransigence and fill her in on what happens in their own countries. UK women don't even get the very basics of information and told about simple steps they can take themselves, such as taking certain supplements, and it's baffling as to why because it's pretty much an automatic thing elsewhere. It's as if the NHS thinks it can make a problem go away if it simply refuses to acknowledge it, and that wouldn't be a first either because it did exactly the same with MS for decades.

3 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

They're working on a water main outside my house and they have turned the water off for the afternoon. Coffee machine and kettle are both empty, so I'm gonna have to take a jaunt along to Greggs for a coffee.

Good thing there's a Greggs within a stone throw from any house at the moment.

Since they added one inside Tesco Kingsway, I have 4 within 1/2 mile of my house.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

There is a Baynes tacked on to the Lidl in Granton, which is almost enough to tempt me into Granton. Almost...

Granton in Edinburgh?

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Since they added one inside Tesco Kingsway, I have 4 within 1/2 mile of my house.

There's not one in Lochee these days.

They stupidly opened one right next door to Clark's a few years ago. Didn't last long.

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

There's not one in Lochee these days.

They stupidly opened one right next door to Clark's a few years ago. Didn't last long.

There's a drive through one at The Stack. One next to Domino's just off the Kingsway, one in Tesco Kingsway and one at Asda Myrekirk.

On the subject of GP appointments. I've a couple of niggles that I could probably go and see about but they aren't really bothering me so I choose to let it lie because I don't want to burden an already overrun service with petty things. However, the frustrating thing is knowing that there will be folk who will demand an appointment because they have a sore toe. 

I had a pretty serious health issue about 15 months ago and had to be signed off work for about 6 weeks. Got a 4 week line to start with which was running out so had to get another, I suggested a couple of weeks because I had an appointment with my consultant in the meantime and was hopeful of being cleared by him to return to work, which I was. I got 8 weeks worth of sick lines without being seen by my GP at all. 

My GP is pretty decent, if you ring up first thing you'll usually get either a callback of an appointment that day.  I had to make an appointment for them to check something and they were happy to get me into the surgery for it.  Any time we've had to take my son in for anything at all they've been great as well.

One receptionist is extremely rude though and there are constant f**k ups around prescriptions sent to the pharmacy up the road. 

I managed to get three months of sick lines from my GP when I broke my heel and at no point was it suggested I'd be required to actually see the doctor, just call and say I needed another line and pick it up.

As I was on full pay it seemed the right thing to do to make sure I was fully recuperated.

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

There's a drive through one at The Stack. One next to Domino's just off the Kingsway, one in Tesco Kingsway and one at Asda Myrekirk.

I think I'll stick with Clark's bakery all the same 😁

9 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I live in central Edinburgh, had to follow up on a hip issue with the doctor and the only way to get an appointment is to call - on the dot of 8am and wait in the queue to make an appointment - getting one on the day is fine, but booking in advance seems almost impossible. I was fine, as I only really needed to confirm a detail to the doc so they called me back at 9.

It infuriates me that I have barely bothered my doctor for 20 years, and when I DO have to see the doc f2f I get the impression that the auld farts in the waiting room (a) didnt have to go through the 8am lottery like me, and (b) appear to see a visit to the GP as some kind of regular social event.

We have friends who moved to E Lothian last year, and their experience seems similar to your pal. Advantage of living in the sticks with fewer people, I guess?

I'm East Lothian and have the 8am lottery shite as well, been to the doctors once in 10 years, phoned at 750am only to be 17th in the queue. Somehow got an appointment, turned up and as predicted full of the auld regulars that all know each other and all the reception staff waiting to see a doctor because their runny nose hasn't got better since the day before.

The old email from the dentist today saying “sorry but we’re turning into proper money grabbing c***s and ditching any NHS treatment. Join us for a quick whizz roond your gob with the wee puffer thingy (we’ve just installed the latest Puffomatic 3000) a couple of times a year for a mere £30 a month”

Plus that stupid quack quack sound on Sing It Back by Moloko.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkant said:

The old email from the dentist today saying “sorry but we’re turning into proper money grabbing c***s and ditching any NHS treatment. Join us for a quick whizz roond your gob with the wee puffer thingy (we’ve just installed the latest Puffomatic 3000) a couple of times a year for a mere £30 a month”

Plus that stupid quack quack sound on Sing It Back by Moloko.

Make yourself some cement teeth.

5 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Was going to say, you're never far away from a Greggs in Dundee! Absolutely loads of them now for some reason. Three alone in the city centre, all within a couple of minutes walk from each other, is rather mental. Was four but the one in the Keiller Centre closed down.

Re the GP stuff, sadly my practice moved to the shitty "call at 8am lottery for an appontment that day and, should you be unsuccessful, tough fucking luck, try again tomorrow" bollocks not long after the first lock down.

Used to be that you could phone them any time and they'd simply check the diary to see when they could fit you in. Couple be in a week, could be the next day, could be that day if there was a cancellation.

I've had a few times where I've tried calling at 8am for an appointment and just gotten the engaged tone for 30 minutes, only to get through and be told all appointments for the day are gone, try again tomorrow. I have then tried again tomorrow, and indeed the next couple of days after since I got the same outcome.

Also I don't have 'a' GP; I just get whoever is free. To be fair, when i have managed to get an appointment it's been great and the GPs and nurses have been great.

Sadly this sort of thing is only going to get worse as part of the managed decline from the greedy who want a model that gets them more cash.

I know there are a lot of folk out there in bad health who need to be seen regularly and I have no qualms with that at all, but this is something that gets on my tits too and I'd be very much in favour of implementing some form of '3 strikes and your out' type system for all the auld duffers and hypochondriacs who are there every other week for the slightest thing, to try and give the rest of us a fighting chance of getting our arses in the surgery doors on the odd occasion we may really need to.

Everyone starts off with their guarantees, then when they're used they go to lowest priority. "Are you sure you need your haemorrhoids looked at again Betty? Bear in mind that's your last guarantee for the year and it's only the 18th of January...". "No, thought not, now off you fcuk and let someone more deserving get through". Might make some of them think twice before they pack their sandwiches, flask, and bus pass for a wee day out to the surgery.

I'm amazed there is anything left that a GP surgery will see someone for given the spiel that you have to sit through listing all the different people they want you to bugger off to instead of seeing them . 

always amuses me how you can be picked up at 12 seconds past 8 only to be told they don't have any appointments today, but we can get you in 3 weeks on Tuesday if you really need to see someone!

Edited by JamesP_81