Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

18 hours ago, BFTD said:

Exactly. It's quite depressing how the Baby Boomers have forgotten how their hippy-dippy generation was dismissed in the Sixties as a bunch of wasters who'd be responsible for the downfall of society.

The cycle repeats. Before the Boomers was the Silent Generation and I have heard on good authority that people tried to put them d down, just because they g g get around...

1 hour ago, milton75 said:

Washing machines in general annoy me. Ours plays a stupid song when it's finished.

Mine beeps when finished. Once. And if you don't hear it or aren't listening then you may forget about it entirely and go back in the kitchen to clothes that have been sitting wet in the machine for an hour. A song gets your attention at least.

On 03/09/2024 at 20:27, AnderooMFC said:

I live in a flat, no room for a table.

Weird how some folk believe they are more mature for liking (or not liking) certain foodstuffs. In these "good old days" of handrolling cigarettes and driving cars at 12, did you have to sign a contract to never again eat chicken strips or turkey twizzlers? Or did it just come naturally after your mates down the mines took the piss?

“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

C.S. Lewis

2 hours ago, milton75 said:

Washing machines in general annoy me. Ours plays a stupid song when it's finished. This goes on for several minutes and there doesn't seen to be a way to change the setting. It's a dick.

Does it play The TIDE is high, SURFing USA, In the Aerial tonight or anything by Persil Sledge? 

7 hours ago, milton75 said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with someone no liking something. Everyone has different preferences, and, speaking as someone whose kids have got various dangerous food allergies, I'm used to having to keep many things off the menu.
I do think it's a bit sad when adults won't ever eat anything that they've not tried though. There are many reasons for it, and some are totally reasonable, but sadly in more than a few occasions I've encountered this with people who were basically never encouraged to try things as children, and who have never developed any sort of palate worth speaking of. It's a shame.

Problem with this though, why would you spend money on something you'd possibly not like. 

What I'd like to see in restaurants is what he happens in decent pubs.

"what like is the Weirdling IPA?"

"There's a wee snifter... want it it not?

If that was on offer in restaurants I'd be far more willing to be more adventurous in my choice of meals.

7 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Problem with this though, why would you spend money on something you'd possibly not like. 

If that was on offer in restaurants I'd be far more willing to be more adventurous in my choice of meals.

" Sir would like to try the quail in truffle butter? Chef will just prepare a single forkful for you now."

The new Chief Scout was interviewed just now on BBC Radio.

He was brought up in a rough area, and was asked about people carrying knives.

He then replied not using the word "knife" but "instrument of malice" - whats that all about? Its like calling a car a "carbon monoxide emitting mode of transport".

Fud

12 hours ago, AnderooMFC said:

Mine beeps when finished. Once. And if you don't hear it or aren't listening then you may forget about it entirely and go back in the kitchen to clothes that have been sitting wet in the machine for an hour. A song gets your attention at least.

That's what my good lady says. And you're both right. It's still annoying though. I'm working downstairs today so will record a bit later and you can judge.

13 hours ago, milton75 said:

Washing machines in general annoy me. Ours plays a stupid song when it's finished. This goes on for several minutes and there doesn't seen to be a way to change the setting. It's a dick.

I just tell her to be quiet. 

It sometimes works. 

8 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

That would indeed be wonderful. But at least you're wanting to try the various things. Most of the, let's call them idiots, I've met that are very fussy about food wouldn't ever actually want to try something new. Sometimes this borders on an eating disorder the way they carry on. Sometimes they're just long overdue a skelp. I once worked with a guy, late 20s, who would basically only be happy eating bread and meat. Burnt meat at that. If we were out for a staff meal he'd order a steak or burger, nothing on it, and as for it to be well done. He once told me that as a kid he made his mum make mince and tatties with an onion and carrot in but chopped in half only, so they could be fished out before his food was on his plate. If he encountered bits of onion or carrot in the food he's pick them out.
If I was his mum I'd have punched him square in his face.

29 minutes ago, milton75 said:

That's what my good lady says. And you're both right. It's still annoying though. I'm working downstairs today so will record a bit later and you can judge.

Kenneth!!

7 minutes ago, milton75 said:

That would indeed be wonderful. But at least you're wanting to try the various things. Most of the, let's call them idiots, I've met that are very fussy about food wouldn't ever actually want to try something new. Sometimes this borders on an eating disorder the way they carry on. Sometimes they're just long overdue a skelp. I once worked with a guy, late 20s, who would basically only be happy eating bread and meat. Burnt meat at that. If we were out for a staff meal he'd order a steak or burger, nothing on it, and as for it to be well done. He once told me that as a kid he made his mum make mince and tatties with an onion and carrot in but chopped in half only, so they could be fished out before his food was on his plate. If he encountered bits of onion or carrot in the food he's pick them out.

My mate used to dismantle a pot noodle and seive out the vegetables before reassembling and preparing it with all texture removed. He would often flavour it with finely crushed wotsits. 

16 minutes ago, milton75 said:

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

My mate used to dismantle a pot noodle and seive out the vegetables before reassembling and preparing it with all texture removed. He would often flavour it with finely crushed wotsits. 

These sound like the sort of folk who'd remove all the vowels from alphabet soup.