N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

17 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

To be completely fair, at least Hogtown got to celebrate 2 World Series, 1 NBA Championship and an MLS Cup in living memory. It’s just the Leafs who are the real miserable fuckers. 

Yup, I watched the NBA run. Was great. Probably ditched Nick Nurse too soon. 

I watched their first playoff run when Vince Carter was the man. Can't believe he only retired in 2020.

Just missed the back-to-back World Series. Again saw a game but at the old Expo Stadium.

Have had some good teams since but in a heck of a division so cant get that division win very often.

Toronto FC have hit some highs. My family had some season tickets. They cost about $4000 dollars and that was over 10 years ago.

Maple Leafs are letting the side down. 1967 and not been our year since 🤣

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

image.png.6ccb1277dada739ecb4a2a17cb30c86e.png

On 28/12/2023 at 20:50, RuMoore said:

I've come to the realisation I'll never be able to stay up til 12 to watch games live so settled for watching the next day on viaplay and casting on to the telly, is there any alternative superior places to watch the games?

Thoroughly enjoyed the devils game today and after getting the jersey and playing ample NHL24 since Christmas I'm obsessed. 

Didn't think I'd ever be as enthusiastic over a new sport as I currently am. 

You'd be forgiven for not knowing this because nhl.com is a terrible website and the NHL in general seems desperate to make it as hard as possible for people to watch it, but NHL TV is by far the cheapest and best way to watch, especially if you're in the UK: What You Get (nhl.com)

You can stream every game any time you want. I've used it every season since 16-17, and there have been some problems but it still does what it should. If anything it's better now, blackout restrictions don't seem to apply in the UK any more. I don't know if that's because of how Viaplay works, but it doesn't matter. If there ever are any blackouts they were always easy enough to avoid with a VPN, and I don't think things have changed much. Blackouts mean you can't watch the game for 24 hours after it's shown if it's shown on a channel/network in your state/region/country. I remember that first year, the Avalanche were historically bad and the one game we had on UK TV all year was against Arizona who were the next worst. It was like watching beer league stuff.

The price has come down a bit since then too, I think it was £85 or something for the full season this year. That's every game in the entire league, and playoffs, live or whenever you want. There's usually half season deals too which would/should be going on around now, but again it's not a very well-promoted service on their website so I don't know. You could sign up for a half year subscription at the start of the year which was £49 (I know this because one real problem the service has is the start of the season and renewals being terrible, which had me being charged for half and full year sub this year) but I don't know if that's still a thing or how the playoffs factor into that.

But, aye. NHL TV. Eighty-odd quid for every game whenever you like and a first hand view of the worst designed online store you've ever seen. I recommend it.

4 hours ago, Spyro said:

I can just about keep up on YouTube via The Hockey Guy and Sportsnet.
My daily routine is usually to queue up…

The Hockey Guy daily preview

Each game highlights on Sportsnet

The Hockey Guy review

Then PHNX Coyotes for the coyotes podcast, but NJD will have their own one.

I’m pottering about the house while it’s on so don’t watch every second, but you get the drift on what is all happening.

Viaplay streaming which has all the games seems to be £15 a month which is just about worth it but haven’t got round to it yet.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

image.png.6ccb1277dada739ecb4a2a17cb30c86e.png

You'd be forgiven for not knowing this because nhl.com is a terrible website and the NHL in general seems desperate to make it as hard as possible for people to watch it, but NHL TV is by far the cheapest and best way to watch, especially if you're in the UK: What You Get (nhl.com)

You can stream every game any time you want. I've used it every season since 16-17, and there have been some problems but it still does what it should. If anything it's better now, blackout restrictions don't seem to apply in the UK any more. I don't know if that's because of how Viaplay works, but it doesn't matter. If there ever are any blackouts they were always easy enough to avoid with a VPN, and I don't think things have changed much. Blackouts mean you can't watch the game for 24 hours after it's shown if it's shown on a channel/network in your state/region/country. I remember that first year, the Avalanche were historically bad and the one game we had on UK TV all year was against Arizona who were the next worst. It was like watching beer league stuff.

The price has come down a bit since then too, I think it was £85 or something for the full season this year. That's every game in the entire league, and playoffs, live or whenever you want. There's usually half season deals too which would/should be going on around now, but again it's not a very well-promoted service on their website so I don't know. You could sign up for a half year subscription at the start of the year which was £49 (I know this because one real problem the service has is the start of the season and renewals being terrible, which had me being charged for half and full year sub this year) but I don't know if that's still a thing or how the playoffs factor into that.

But, aye. NHL TV. Eighty-odd quid for every game whenever you like and a first hand view of the worst designed online store you've ever seen. I recommend it.

Sadly I already have Viaplay for the football and they always offer a much better annual fee than monthly so I'm lumped in with them. I'll never be awake during the time the games are on but have been watching the full games the next day on the app. 

I must say I've learned so much about the sport recently I'm trying not to get burnt out by an overload of information so pretty comfortable just following NJDs right how. I have no clue about what metrics other than points you can even compare teams and players with but would be interested on an ELI5 level who some of the better teams and players are, like who is the Messi of ice hockey. 

Also I'm enjoying the NHL24, on an easy difficulty on a 27-6-5 season right now. I absolutley can not score 1 on 1s or do any dekes or whatever they're called. 

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You'd be forgiven for not knowing this...

Legend! Cheers, I'll be looking for the half season passes and maybe even something to watch the Coyotes getting smashed in Round 1 of the playoffs! 

3 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Sadly I already have Viaplay for the football and they always offer a much better annual fee than monthly so I'm lumped in with them. I'll never be awake during the time the games are on but have been watching the full games the next day on the app. 

I must say I've learned so much about the sport recently I'm trying not to get burnt out by an overload of information so pretty comfortable just following NJDs right how. I have no clue about what metrics other than points you can even compare teams and players with but would be interested on an ELI5 level who some of the better teams and players are, like who is the Messi of ice hockey. 

Also I'm enjoying the NHL24, on an easy difficulty on a 27-6-5 season right now. I absolutley can not score 1 on 1s or do any dekes or whatever they're called. 

I have always found a sesh on NHL24 or something similar is the best way to understand who is who throughout the league if you are starting from scratch. I hadn't watched nhl for about 20 years before this season so have been playing catchup all season. 

Another great source of information for your own team is the local podcasts.

There's a group that do a few teams like, PHNX Coyotes, DNVR SPORTS for Colorado Avalanche (which is very good btw) , PHLY, CHGO, etc... but I don't know if they do NJD. Their national show is called What Chaos that is on YouTube as well and is worth a watch. 

The Hockey Guy is a orical though! 

5 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Cale Makar and Nathan MacKinnon are the best two players in the league, that's all you need to know.

I don't even know if I can tell someone how to appreciate hockey, it's just been there for me for 20+ years so I'm mostly used to everything by now. When I had NHL 2001 I played it endlessly so playing the game is the best way to get familiar with the rules and players/teams. New Jersey have some good forwards right now but don't have a goalie and seem to be underperforming this year relative to last, so at the absolute minimum you can watch a young-ish team that's trying to improve.

Over the past decade or so there's been a massive proliferation of "advanced stats" into the NHL at a management and fan level. If you think the sort of virgins on twitter who go on about xG are bad, it's infinitely worse in hockey. I don't have any interest in it because I just watch my team and watch it to be entertained, but the classics of goals/assists/points/ice time are the standard barometers of who the best/most important players are. I'm sure there are other forums/platforms online like this that would be good for getting into as well.

5 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Legend! Cheers, I'll be looking for the half season passes and maybe even something to watch the Coyotes getting smashed in Round 1 of the playoffs! 

If you're in the UK you should be fine with NHL TV, just know that it's the absolute worst level of customer service imaginable if something goes wrong.

1 hour ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Looking forward to the Winter Classic tonight. My favourite NHL team playing in my all time favourite stadium.

What Chaos are doing a watchalong  for anyone who can't see the game... 

EDIT - Maybe not bother, it's pretty brutal. They are usually better than this 😂

Edited by Spyro

@Miguel Sanchez

Sorry to use you as my NHL Google but what's icing aw about? 

I've noticed teams clearing the puck all the time especially if they've got less players on the ice and nothing happens but everytime in the game when I clear the puck it's given as icing, how do I avoid this? Is it something to do with not chasing the puck down?

4 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

@Miguel Sanchez

Sorry to use you as my NHL Google but what's icing aw about? 

I've noticed teams clearing the puck all the time especially if they've got less players on the ice and nothing happens but everytime in the game when I clear the puck it's given as icing, how do I avoid this? Is it something to do with not chasing the puck down?

Icing is effectively to stop time-wasting/teams defending by getting the puck and just launching it up the ice.

If a player shoots the puck up ice from their own half without anybody on their team touching it, and without anybody on the other team being able to touch it, and it goes past the goal line at the other end, a player on the other team can 'touch up' (used to be literally touching the puck, changed to just getting to level with the faceoff dot a few years ago for safety reasons) and force a faceoff back in the defensive zone of the team that iced it. The team that iced the puck can't change players, which is another reason they try not to do it.

Teams don't get called for icing if they're on the penalty kill. 

Alternatively, Snoop has you covered:

A lot expansion talk online today, surely time for the league to stop trying to "grow the game" in places where ice hockey does not work and just give the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) a 2nd team! 

On 01/01/2024 at 11:31, Miguel Sanchez said:

If you're in the UK you should be fine with NHL TV, just know that it's the absolute worst level of customer service imaginable if something goes wrong.

Have you used it with a VPN at all?

Between the NHL and Rogers they've made the online streaming experience in Canada absolutely fucking brutal and expensive, plus subject to blackouts that are fucking stupid (I couldn't watch the Canucks game the other night from Edmonton as it was blacked out on SN)

I've been using nhl66 but it's not exactly stable and you need a VPN to use it anyway, they do have a number of games from NHLTV and others from ESPN+

I would just get ESPN plus, but it won't take my Canadian credit card, even using my works address in New York lol

32 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Young Bedard learning a valuable lesson last night. Skate with your head up.

A lot of the young kids coming through seem to have no awareness at all when it comes to real, big guys coming at them. There have been a few hits this season made to look worse by players getting drilled because they haven't developed that part of their game.

Tom Wilson absolutely hammered a Coyote player the other night, and most Coyote fans realised that it was a fair hit and the Coyotes boy put himself in a bad position. It seems to be happening more often, but others will know better than me

EDIT - Fair play to Bedard though, he didn't milk it. Realised his mistake, got off the ice and got himself sorted out

Edited by Spyro

3 hours ago, mugen_power said:

Have you used it with a VPN at all?

Between the NHL and Rogers they've made the online streaming experience in Canada absolutely fucking brutal and expensive, plus subject to blackouts that are fucking stupid (I couldn't watch the Canucks game the other night from Edmonton as it was blacked out on SN)

I've been using nhl66 but it's not exactly stable and you need a VPN to use it anyway, they do have a number of games from NHLTV and others from ESPN+

I would just get ESPN plus, but it won't take my Canadian credit card, even using my works address in New York lol

I've always used it with a VPN. The setup of it changed a bit last season - site redesign, new web player and stuff. For the first week or two there were problems using a VPN but it got sorted out and I've used it since. I don't know how it would work buying it in North America then using a VPN to get around it, but based on my experience I think it would work. In seasons gone past when the odd game would be blacked out in the UK (and in the playoffs when they all were) I used to set my VPN to Portugal and never had any problems accessing them.

I have a read about the terrible state of things in North America here every once in a while and I'm just constantly amazed. I think NHL TV with a VPN would work if you're in North America, but I don't know for certain.

3 hours ago, Spyro said:

A lot of the young kids coming through seem to have no awareness at all when it comes to real, big guys coming at them. There have been a few hits this season made to look worse by players getting drilled because they haven't developed that part of their game.

Tom Wilson absolutely hammered a Coyote player the other night, and most Coyote fans realised that it was a fair hit and the Coyotes boy put himself in a bad position. It seems to be happening more often, but others will know better than me

EDIT - Fair play to Bedard though, he didn't milk it. Realised his mistake, got off the ice and got himself sorted out

Yeah, definitely.

I've been getting annoyed with how many fights are happening due to clean hits.

8 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Young Bedard learning a valuable lesson last night. Skate with your head up.

I've only started watching this season and that was my team it happened against, sad to see as i like that young playerbut for me that was such a crazy enjoyable game, haven't really seen as many fights and aggro like that.

Big that we went on to win, also funny when they tried to hurt Hughes and he boshed them back and probably had the loudest cheer of the game.

If the Devils win tonight on their back to back after that it would be huge imo.

Edited by RuMoore