N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

What the hell are the Kings doing up in 4th place?!

Anze Kopitar (and to a lesser extent Dustin Brown). I love Dustin Brown.

Slight embarrassment for Colombus, hammered 9-1 by Detroit :lol:

Red Wings aren't even that good this year, don't think they'll be anywhere near the SCF (this will now come back to bite me on the arse and we'll get absolutely spanked tonight).

Edited by Virtual Insanity

With back to back games I didn't manage to stay up for the full Devils game last night. At 0-1 and the Penguins bossing our defence it didn't look good when I turned it off half way through the second. Just watched the rest of it there and the roles reversed.

Devils finally put in a prolonged shift of pressure and it eventually lead to a good goal. After that the Penguins just kept turning the puck over and the Devils looked dangerous from there on in. Some breaks too with Pens hitting the post about three times I think but when Devils picked up a 2nd and 3rd goal it was done long before the end. The commentator was right when he said that 3 goals for the Devils is like 7 for most other teams. The empty netter was the icing on the cake and matched the 4-1 win on the previous visit. :thumsup2

Credit to the replacements that have come in because of all the injuries. I know Pens are without top players too but maybe they've not got the more balanced squad that Devils probably have. Not so many stars but I enjoy their effort.

After the horrible start to the season and thoughts of a big collapse with so many rookies about, things are looking good. Not missing the experience of Holik and Madden as much as I'd feared. Two 4-1 wins away to the cup holders can't be bad. Elias is playing himself back in, Bergfors is showing up well and the defence has been great even without Martin. Wonder how we'd do without Parise or Zajac though. Hope we don't find out!

A miserable Bully Wee fan but a happy Devil.

Leafs are away to Chicago tonight. Not got much chance in this one with Chicago playing well, and we haven't beaten them for about 6 and a half years. Mike Komisarek is out for three weeks with a quadricep tear. Also appears Gustavsson may be rested tonight, meaning Toskala in net :(

The_Belgian, just so you know, the divisional and conference standings are much more important than the overall NHL standings which in truth aren't really that relevant to anything. Just thought I'd mention that since you seem to talk about them quite a bit.

The_Belgian, just so you know, the divisional and conference standings are much more important than the overall NHL standings which in truth aren't really that relevant to anything. Just thought I'd mention that since you seem to talk about them quite a bit.

I know. Thing is, we have nothing to aim for apart from trying to avoid ending bottom of the league. We've been 5th in our Division all season, and 14th/15th in the Eastern.

Bad start for the Leafs, 2-0 down after 2 minutes.

On the upper hand, with less than 3 minutes gone there has already been two fights :lol:

EDIT: Flames up 3-1 at the end of 1st period, Gustavsson replaced by Toskala in net. Leafs don't deserve to be losing this one (at the moment), but they need to take their chances. Calgary aren't playing well, three goals aside.

MORE EDIT: Calgary lead 3-2 at the end of the 2nd period, Matt Stajan getting the only goal on the Powerplay. Toronto are hammering the Flames, but Mikka Kiprusoff is outstanding in goal at the moment. Toronto outshot Calgary 20-4 in the 2nd period, shots are currently 30-11 overall to the Leafs. If it wasn't for Kiprusoff this game would be over.

Edited by The_Belgian

Slow start by Devils again and lost 2 quick goals to Caps. Think they were 2 down in DC too and came back to win.

Looking like another comeback win tonight with 3 unanswered goals in the second period for a 4-2 lead. The last one was Bergfors to Halischuck to smash in his 1st NHL goal. A sign of the future for Devils I think. Parise also broke to score a 1v1 again just like the last game. Looks lethal just now.

Won't rule out a Caps comeback yet but Devils visibly upped their game after going 2-0 down. More of the same needed to earn our 3rd win v Caps this season and they don't lose many!

Leafs back to 2-3.

Edit - Too busy typing to spot Devils notch a 5th. And a pp coming up.

Edit 2 - Couldn't get on here for a bit but Devils win 5-2. Freaking awesome man! :king

'Mon the Bruins!

Edited by RWB

Tonight's game just shows you how shite the Leafs are, that we can play so poorly and still win 5-2.

Toronto are the most one-manned team I have ever seen in the NHL.

Kiprusoff was fucking epic tonight, I think he stopped about 40-odd shots, Iggy is starting to fire now with another two tonight and despite playing badly we still win, and that's the sign of a good team, winning when you play badly, long may it continue.

Just wasn't Toronto's night. 2-0 down within 2 minutes, travelling all the way back from Chicago after last night, up against a netminder who was sublime, and conceding an early goal in the 3rd. Calgary were poor but the Leafs didn't take their chances in the 2nd period, and the tiredness kicked in when Flames got their 4th. Kiprusoff was magnificent, saved 38 shots from 40, while Calgary only managed 22 shots all game. Shows the difference of what happens when you take your chances, along with having a goalie who's on form.

At least there were three fights in this one. Fourth game I've watched this season, first game with a fight.

Penguins equalise with .4 seconds remaining. :angry: Didn't look on as they got stuck behind their own goal until a Bruins stick broke. Devils managed to score equalise with 0.1 of second left this season and went on to win.

Crowd really gets involved, big difference from Devils. Oh, there goes a winner for Pens. You plonker Thomas. :angry:

Edited by RWB